A single baby

number20121

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

*random update*

Both the hatched fry are still around and seem to be doing well. Norm (the older) seems to have hit a growth spurt and outgrew his previous container quickly. He and Eve moved into a half filled 10g tub.

Eve, since she is younger and only about half the size as Norm, is separated in breeder basket inside the tub.

Almost the entire surface is covered by a mix of duckweed, riccia natans, frogbit and miniature water lettuce.

The diet consists of freshly hatched BBS, whatever they find living among the floating plants, and tiny bits of soilent green. Whatever soilent green they do not consume is being eaten (and so kept from growing fungus) by a hand full of pond snails that came with the riccia natans.

I am using a 23watt CFL lamp to illuminate the plants (it produces barely any heat) and the tub has a small airstone running into it.

Water changes happen about every 2-3 days. These guys produce pretty much no waste and the plants are likely consuming all of it anyway, but I like vacuuming the bottom out from those itsy bitsy poopies :D

From what I can tell, their backs do not have any obvious kinks (yet). How curved or straight they are - only time will tell.

Norm has a single anal fin, Eve seems to have two anal fins.

Now that they are in that tub, it is really hard to find them sometimes. Even Eve in her little breeder box is difficult to find due to all the plants. It takes me several minutes to spot either one of them :rofl

Even when I work all day long, their bellies always seem very full. Again, I assume they are eating a lot of microorganisms that live among the plants :)

Alright, alright! Before you all go get the Koko's stick, here a few pics of their new home.

Actually I was wrong, this is not 10g but 16.5g (66qt) tub, so this is currently filled with about 7 gallons of water for the two little guys. Considered the params stay at Zero with all these plants in there, I may try to not really do w/c for not, but just vacuuming the bottom and then topping it back off. Kind of like mini water changes, since the bio load of these two guys probably is not going to be enough to sustain the plants :lol

Aside from the four different floating plants there also are a couple trimmings of cabomba, hornwort and water sprite in there. So yeah, I actually may have to skip the w/c for now :rofl

Anyway, here we go. Top view of the tub

100_8867_zpsfe64d7a3.jpg

Side view of the short side. The blur inside the circle is Norm. The water is not really green, it just looks like it from the light shining through the plants.

100_8868_zpsaaee62ff.jpg

Eve in her own little apartment

100_8877_zps6c2b78e7.jpg

100_8878_zps8545973a.jpg

Closeup of the r.natans. I am so in love with this plant! It is so beautiful and I love its fuzzy roots! I also love these cute little pond snails :3

100_8879_zpsd8342089.jpg

Norm is marked by a tiny red dot to the right of him. Also a nice view of the r.natans floating

100_8883_zpsdf6b1bc4.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRMMMMMMM! Finally a halfway decent side view photo that shows how much he looks like a little goldfish

100_8887_zps5dccdcbd.jpg

Whereas in top view he still looks like a demented axolotl

100_8899_zps776c32fb.jpg

Had to do this one in monochrome because the photo turned out deep orange glowing. Now it shows his features a bit better

100_8900_zpsa9b7c037.jpg

Oh man! What a little cutie pie! Where did you get those great floating plants?!

I got them at the aquatics trade show I've been to a few weeks back. Paid $5 for a pint (!!!!!!) of r.natans and duckweed - and that's really cheap considered on ebay you pay anywhere between $5 and $7.50 for 1/4 cup for duckweed alone.

The ricciocarpus natans, I can't even find anywhere online to buy it, except for an ended offer on aquabid, where they want $5 for a few scoops (however big a "scoop" is here). http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Oh man! What a little cutie pie! Where did you get those great floating plants?!

I got them at the aquatics trade show I've been to a few weeks back. Paid $5 for a pint (!!!!!!) of r.natans and duckweed - and that's really cheap considered on ebay you pay anywhere between $5 and $7.50 for 1/4 cup for duckweed alone.

The ricciocarpus natans, I can't even find anywhere online to buy it, except for an ended offer on aquabid, where they want $5 for a few scoops (however big a "scoop" is here). http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a

I got so excited that my plant order had ONE piece of duckweed. Found it in my tank this morning. Now I just have to keep it away from the hog gang, and hope it grows.

Surely I'm the only person who can't keep duckweed alive.

I got so excited that my plant order had ONE piece of duckweed. Found it in my tank this morning. Now I just have to keep it away from the hog gang, and hope it grows.

No, you're not. The first time I had duckweed, it died. It does need a decent amount of light, and a lot of food. So keep it in a separate container from the goldfish, maybe underneath a desk lamp and make sure it gets plenty of food. The best would be to keep it in a tub of water that comes directly from the goldfish tank, this way it will have a decent amount of nutrients. Make sure it does not get turned upside down or submerged, that can kill the plant.

If nothing else, if my tub-plants start to multiply, I could send you a little bit to get started. For free, of course. :)

No, you're not. The first time I had duckweed, it died. It does need a decent amount of light, and a lot of food. So keep it in a separate container from the goldfish, maybe underneath a desk lamp and make sure it gets plenty of food. The best would be to keep it in a tub of water that comes directly from the goldfish tank, this way it will have a decent amount of nutrients. Make sure it does not get turned upside down or submerged, that can kill the plant.

If nothing else, if my tub-plants start to multiply, I could send you a little bit to get started. For free, of course. :)

That would be awesome. It seems like I might have better luck with the plants this time, and was hoping to find people to swap plants with. I have some really cool ones, too.

Wish that brown thumb of mine some luck! :D

That would be awesome. It seems like I might have better luck with the plants this time, and was hoping to find people to swap plants with. I have some really cool ones, too.

Don't feel too bad, I went and bought a TON of duckweed off of ebay. I covered the top of my tank with it :D. Then it was all eaten by morning :bye2:

Don't feel too bad, I went and bought a TON of duckweed off of ebay. I covered the top of my tank with it :D. Then it was all eaten by morning :bye2:

mine only mess with the roots never the leaves oddly enough

I kept some for a while, growing it in what is now my QT tank, but the filter always blew it around, the little air tube baffles that I'd seen never worked, and it just ended up being a giant hassle.

Yeah, duckweed won't last long in a goldfish tank. You'll have to keep it separate and move some to the gf tank as snacks :)

I found that out the hard way lol! I was excited because my Ryukin hated it. He would gulp some, then spit them all out again. I thought I got off easy, but the morning after I had gotten it I went to check on my fish and my moor was at the top gulping them down.. I had the top nearly completely covered, and she ate 3/4 over night!