suffer from sporozoan/ experiences with Soilent green

Silke

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does this mean that feeding the 1x1 inch a day of seaweed along with part super green and part soilent green is too much seaweed? I saw the 1 to 2 times a week, but that would be a whole meal right? I just feed the little bits along with meals of repashy. So lets say 2 mouthfulls repashy mix and 1 mouthfull seaweed is about what I feed 3 or 4 times a day.

So does this mean that feeding the 1x1 inch a day of seaweed along with part super green and part soilent green is too much seaweed? I saw the 1 to 2 times a week, but that would be a whole meal right? I just feed the little bits along with meals of repashy. So lets say 2 mouthfulls repashy mix and 1 mouthfull seaweed is about what I feed 3 or 4 times a day.

You are greatly overfeeding! That is really way too much and even more I stress to fasten him for 2 to 3 days and when you dont want to do the spinach thing, after 3 days start with one mouthful repashy at am and pm and you may see he wont float anymore. One mouthful should be around the size of one eyeball, a bit bigger maybe.

To answer your question, no it would be not ok to feed one mouthful each time with seaweed. Not daily, no.

You are greatly overfeeding! That is really way too much and even more I stress to fasten him for 2 to 3 days and when you dont want to do the spinach thing, after 3 days start with one mouthful repashy at am and pm and you may see he wont float anymore. One mouthful should be around the size of one eyeball, a bit bigger maybe.

To answer your question, no it would be not ok to feed one mouthful each time with seaweed. Not daily, no.

This makes me laugh, only a little (sorry), because I am only feeding 1% or less of his body weight in Repashy which I have been told I am under feeding by very knowledgeable people here. I would guess I am feeding him about .07%. He is a pretty decent sized guy at around 75g. He isn't my floater at all, he actually looks really good as long as I give him that seaweed with his meals, without it his problem is he can't get off the floor. I will try frozen spinach though as it is cooked so well and already shredded, maybe he will like that.

I think the rule of thumb here is .05-1% of body weight in pellets but as much as 2% in body weight with repashy as it is way less dense and has alot of water in it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this but this topic has been discussed numerous times and I actually don't feed as much as is recommended because of his digestive issues. For awhile I would measure out 1gram (two of my fish combined is about 100g) and that was too much so I cut back to about the .07% not counting veggies. My guess is that 8 pieces of repashy I give him barely meets those requirements and yes each piece is about the size of his eye.

Edited by cmclien

And we are back to this topic. I think I've told Silke and you, Cindi, that 1% is a good place to start, but the true test is when you monitor your fish for growth, or lack of it.

There are some other points:

1. Your fish have no issues with Metro-Meds, funny enough. So, when it's different with other foods, there are other underlying issues.

2. You probably mean 0.7%, not 0.07%.

:)

And we are back to this topic. I think I've told Silke and you, Cindi, that 1% is a good place to start, but the true test is when you monitor your fish for growth, or lack of it.

There are some other points:

1. Your fish have no issues with Metro-Meds, funny enough. So, when it's different with other foods, there are other underlying issues.

2. You probably mean 0.7%, not 0.07%.

:)

Yes I meant .7%

My point was simply that I do not think I'm over feeding him, he just needs more greens then my other fish but he is older then them, I would guess he might be 18mo now.

When you say underlying issues, not sure what you mean here. You are right, no issues with metro meds. He looks as good now as he did on metro meds (buoyancy wise) as long as I keep up with the greens.

Edit: And I should mention at this percentage of food, Bilbo hasn't gained any weight in a couple of months but she does get quite floaty so I have to be careful with her. This again tells me I'm definitely not over feeding.

Edited by cmclien

You MIGHT be overfeeding. I believe your experiences up to now. We just need to start collecting weight data. :)

I added the edit to my last post but Bilbo hasn't gained any weight in a couple of months but she is my floaty one which again tells me I'm not over feeding them. I honestly miss being able to give them pro gold which I'm giving to the new young one now. I might be able to add in a pellet here and there with enough greens.

I did not mean for this thread to get side tracked with my particular fish or seaweed questions! sorry :o

Edited by cmclien

I stick with it you are overfeeding. :) If I were feeding my fish that much they are flat on the ground, dorsal down, one becomes a sinker the other one upside down on the surface.

Its not your case. 1% of bodyweight measured in pellets would be a drama. And the link I posted from Steve (Raingarden) said it so nicely. Within 30 seconds they get their needs with good quality pellets they need for a day. Not 1% of body weight. I assumed that is for homemade gel food.

Well you go with your eye and what works. I dont feel Repashy is not dense. I really think they need less amount and thrive. Mine get 0.5% approximately. You are better off leaving some greens on a clip where they can munch on. Frozen spinach is really messy btw.

If your fish is not putting on weight Alex might be very right and there is an underlying issue. Internal parasites, bacteria, could be anything. Is the tummy mushy or hardish like poking in your upper arm muscle?

I think its wrong to jump to conclusions like that about other peoples fish saying they might have parasites or bacteria when there is no reason to think so. If these were the issues, adding greens wouldn't cure my sinkers problems. I think we are arguing over .2% which seems like a moot point to me. You feed .5%, I feed .7%, many people here feed much more then this. I am not feeding pellets right now but they had wonderful growth on progold. As they have gotten older I see more issues with buoyancy issues so have experimented with other food. Many people have buoyancy issues with their fish on pellets as they get older.

Edited by cmclien

I dont really see why you get upset about it and no one ever said you are clearly dealing with parasites or bacteria. You asked Alex what an underlying issue is and I answered it.

In a forum we share personal experiences, ideas etc. We are all not "the experts".

Feeding three to four times 3 mouthful is a lot. Read that link again from Steve. You have to imagine in the wild they dont get that much all in once, they graze all day long a bit here a bit there. I dont know for how long you are keeping fish and I am happy if you or others can prove me wrong. I think after 5 years feeding that much you will see issues if not earlier. The general rule with feeding fish is if in doubt, underfeed as overfeeding is deadly. Of course starving to death too. :) I dont want to come in here compromising in one go the knowledge and experiences like Alexs`. Since I know Alex I want to hear his opinion a lot. You guys measure the % of bodyweight which is usually the way to go. We are actually not debating about 0.2 difference as I now feed by what works best. I am not measuring anything anymore. If they are cruizing around happily without bouncy issues and are not losing weight I am happy with it.

You know, its not always one way or nothing in life. You could be open for other ones words but its really fine by me if you dont want to hear my point of view. You dont see any issues right now so I dont blame you for anything. Its just sort of a pity not willing to try another route for your fish that has issues. What I suggested might not even work for your fish and we can stop arguing completely. :)

I'm sorry if my post came across defensive. I agree and I've said this before that all we can go by is their behavior and that is why I actually feed less then alot of people on this forum do because they are happy and swimming and not sitting when I feed around the .7% range. I can't go much higher or I do see issues with constipation and bottom sitting. But the compromise of feeding that amount of food is perhaps they will not gain as much weight in the long run. Believe me if they were acting ill, it would be a new topic in the D&D section :)

A mouthful to you might be different then a mouthful to me and that is why I put the percentage of food I am giving them. I weigh it out and then try and divide it over a day. The 4 meals are small to try and make it more like it would be out in nature and I say a mouthful of seaweed but its only little bits. I cannot use a clip or my fantail will eat the whole thing as he is a bit of a pig. He will rip it to shreds and eat it and then he will be on the floor for 24 hours afterwards from over eating.

I don't believe I came here with help for issues as much as describing how the 3 of my fish seem to have different dietary needs and I need to feed them each a little differently for each one to stay cruising around happily like you said. Sometimes things get lost when you are not talking to someone in person and perhaps I took your meaning wrong. I have readily taken advice given on this forum time and time again :)

And again I didn't mean for the thread to go off topic just because of my questions on seaweed.

Edited by cmclien

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Thought I give an update. Two more fish died. Heartbreaking, also because my sons (5years) favorite fish died. It took some time to get over it for both of us. Until then I was feeding them soilent green at pm and supergreen at am. They all died in the same way. So now I have two fish left in my 400liter tank. Since the last one died I have been feeding them supergreen exclusively along with treats of frozen krill as despite Rainbowgardens article I believe krill has more to offer. Both of my remaining fish are stunted, they were stunted right from the start and those are at least 3 to 4 years old. My really small Oranda used to float under the surface, after spinach he would often sit nose down on the gravel. Since supergreen exclusively he is active like never before, no more need of spinach. My Pearly that used to have a tilt on anything does well on supergreen but did also well on soilentgreen.

Now something very interesting. I have one Lionhead in a different tank. She used to be with the others but around over a year ago I moved her to a 20gal tank as one of the dead ones bit her eyes out. I have her since around 6 years. Also stunted without a wen. She did well on supergreen and soilent green. But just because I am still not convinced that soilent green was not causing massive constipation I only feed anyone supergreen now. With that I see lots of perfect poo. Whats so interesting is that she is starting to grow and I see the start of a wen. After 6 years on low protein. Hows that?

I have to say, before you wonder why almost all my Fancies were stunted, all but one were rescue fish. They were very sick when I bought them and came from pet shops that are now closed. We can only imagine why.

Anyway my remaining fish are doing so great that I cannot believe it. I was preparing the full sterilization very soon. But no, not yet. But then again, I only whispered the news. I am superstitious, the moment I say all is well, something bad will happen. I didn’t say anything….

That brings me to the next subject and this is for you Helen or anyone from Victoria. After talking to Mikroll and AQUIS, the import of eggs is a no no. Where do you get your fish from Helen? You live around Melbourne I think. I live in Rye, Mornington Peninsula and the only pet shop here I trust is in Frankston, Everlife. But they do not stock GF really. I only get my Tropicals from them. I am after a Shubi as I am done with Fancies as much as it breaks my heart to give up on them. Or would you even know a good breeder?

Thanks

Silke

Hi Silke, I'm sorry that you've lost some more :(

It's interesting what you have found, and it runs parallel to what I and others have been thinking as well. I think that the best diet for the goldfish I can think of right now is super green, with supplements of blood worms. :)

If you like, I can forward your email to Helen, and you can correspond with her that way, since you still don't have PM access here just yet.

Hi Alex and thank you!

I am glad to hear that you found the same...although along with bloodworms. mwha. (joking, surely nothing wrong with that)

I just wished I would have gone with supergreen alone earlier. But then again we still dont know what the real cause was. Will be interesting to see how my remaining fish will do now. My last fish died 2 weeks ago, the other one 3.5weeks ago. I ll keep you all posted.

And yes that would be nice forwarding my request to Helen. Thanks again!