Coverin' up that barebottom

kortniee

I put substrate into my 75 gallon tank today! This is kind of a big deal for me, as I've never had a goldfish tank that wasn't barebottom before. But, I decided I really wanted big plants, and to get big plants, I needed room for their roots to grow. So... substrate! I chose Eco Complete, for the color and the size.

Here is a before shot!

d6fbc920e02d64a71e0509399798864f.jpg

And here is a picture of the immediate after.

d7a4a42eaeefd0e62564999c42e8cd4b.jpg

Some more pictures after some more of the dust and bubbles had cleared.

ba4ff97dd0bfba32463a1be3b14a5c00.jpg

b8f544ea6d828067f1dd47e3786874ac.jpg

d6c7fde6afa30d2467ca01e4b6082a31.jpg

One of my plecos has decided to dig himself a little fort right here. There are better places to hide, but I think the plecos will find them at night and are more or less hunkering down at the moment.

0aa210bdb8be6f4cb7c1d3ff9630ddd6.jpg

This is where the other guy is hiding out:

9914725f0532d2b851839da88e9d5fba.jpg

Looks great! Just wondering, how is the eco complete different from regular sand? Is there a different ratio of material in it?

Edited by cmclien

It looks great!

Here's to us barebottom girls covering up :alc

:P

Thanks! I will admit that looking at your substrate helped brave me up for putting in mine! :D

Everyone looks happy! Haha in the last photo I couldn't even see your pleco for a moment! :rofl Beautiful setup. :D

Thank you! Everyone does seem happy, which is a relief.

I LOVE it!!!!!

Edit. What is the tall plant on the right?

Thanks! The back right plant is some stems of hygrophila corymbosa, I think. Definitely hygro something!

Woot woot! I hope it works out!!! How deep is the substrate?

It's about an inch deep in the front and 2 and change inches deep in the back.

This looks very nice! The eco complete sure has a nice color to it, and at least the plecos seem to love it :D

Thank you, Fang! The plecos do seem pretty okay with life, though I bet they will feel happier after the lights go out tonight.

looks great! I am also contemplating covering up my barebottom :wacko:

It's definitely a big change! If you do decide to do so, post some pictures!

Edited by Courtney

Looks great! And love the plecostomoose too!

Thanks! :rofl The plecostomoose love you too!

Your tank looks great! Keep us posted on your "big plants"!

I prefer my bottom to be sparkling clean, thusly, it shall remain bare! :booty

I definitely like the barebottom for cleaning purposes! But I also like plants. It was a dilemma, for sure.

Looks good :)

Thanks!

That looks great! I'm considering going planted when I upgrade. Looks so nice! :)

I love how the plants look. Definitely recommend it. :D (And since my problem with land plants is that I always forget to water them... this works out great!)

Looks terrific! I do like the looks of that substrate . . .. :hummm

It seems like a pretty good substrate so far. I did have to buy a LOT of it for this tank, and it's not cheap, though.

Edited by Courtney

Love it!

What type of crypts are in your tank and where did you get them?

Thanks! The crypts on the right in front of the rock are wendtii, I think, and the ones in the middle-left are undulata. There are tall ones in the back right that are spiralis, I think. Remembering these things is not my strongest talent. :) They all came from Planted Aquariums Central.

Looks great! Just wondering, how is the eco complete different from regular sand? Is there a different ratio of material in it?

It's a lot bigger than sand. Not gravel-big, but definitely not sand-small. It's a volcanic rock, I think, which makes it hold on to nutrients better than other substrates. Other than that, its benefits are basically color and size.

Courtney, I'm loving the look! I can't wait to see how it fills in. :D

Thank you! I am really excited to see if the plants can stretch out a little now!

It looks really good!!

Thanks! I am glad it turned out as well as it did.

Looks great!!! I cant wait for you plants to grow like crazy now ;)

ME NEITHER. I am so excited! :happydance

Don't tell me to cover up my barebottom! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Courtney, I have always been a fan of your tanks (and fish), and I look forward to seeing the developments of this new look as well. Already, it looks lovely. :)

Hey Courtney, are you still liking your substrate? I have been thinking of trying this one as I like the size of the grains and the color too. A few questions, did you rinse before hand? Is your water cloudy from it? Does it show much waste/food? Were you able to leave your fish in? Are you still happy with it? Enough questions? ha ha

I wonder how it would look if mixed with the very small amount of gravel I have? just to add some earth tones to it.