Filter upgrade

Kat428

Hey all! So right now on my tank, i have a tetra whisper 10-30g filter. Im planning to upgrade because i feel this one isnt good enough. So i have a couple of questions.. Keep in mind i have sand in my tank along with two goldfish.That includes Mr.T / Sir poops a lot. also this is a 30g tank.

1. Is it good enough?

2. If not, what kind do you recommend? (keep in mind i have no jab except for an allowance.

3. For future reference, is there a rule of thumb for picking a filter?

4. is there a such thing as "Over filtering" ? As in i use a 50g filter for my 30 g.

Thanks!

Edited by Kat428

Generally, you want your filter or filters to turn over the water in your tank 10 times per hour. So the filters you need depend on the size of your tank. How big is yours?

Also, I am going to move this to tanks and equipment as I think it would fit better there.

Generally, you want your filter or filters to turn over the water in your tank 10 times per hour. So the filters you need depend on the size of your tank. How big is yours?

Also, I am going to move this to tanks and equipment as I think it would fit better there.

I have a 30g tank

I am not sure how many gallons per hour your filter can handle, as I can't find one rated for 10-30 gallons. I found some whispers rated 10-20 (110 gph) and 20-30 (160 gph).

You can't really filter too much unless you have young or weak fish or go really, really overboard.

So what I would recommend is adding an Aquaclear 50 to your setup. It does 200 gallons per hour and should get you up to your 300 target when added to your existing filter. The two things that recommend the aquaclear here are that the media is very flexible, and also you can turn down the flow, just in case your fish are stressed out by it. Two filters is also a good idea just in case one of them fails. Then you are not left completely without a filter.

These can be had very affordably on Amazon.com, if you can buy things online.

• Supporter

We like to run two filters. It seems to balance the current and gives us an 'extra' cycled filter should one fail.

i am like this too! i had a filter many years ago and if failed.. i didn't know because i always had airstones in there and everything looked normal :( so now, i always have 2 filters per tank running.