Size vs. Activity

When I was stalking looking at goldfish on DO I was seeing descriptions for large fish as "active for large fish". My question is are larger fish less active, or more prone to resting vs actively swimming, than smaller fish. Having on one goldfish that could be classified as large I have nothing to compare her behavior to. I also wonder if this depends on goldfish type. For example is a large pearlscale, bubble eye, or veiltail more prone to periods of resting or inactivity than a large shubunkin or wakin? My large girl is pretty active, but not as active as my smallest goldies. So share! I'm interested in hearing what everyone elses experiences are.

I had some way bigger fish than the ones I have right now, and I could say that they aren't as active in terms of swimming, but real active as being a vacuum. :heart

I was wondering this myself. My tiny ranchu and baby oranda zoom everywhere. They never stop moving. But my big oranda seem to prefer floating along with the current all day and only get really active at feeding times.

I have to say having a few smaller fish compared to my one larger telescope Rusty prefers floating around (except at feeding time ;))

compared to link,willow and max who are all smaller than he ;) and are all constantly on the move ;)

I would say this is probably generally the case and more genetically altered fish will be impacted more than single tails probably... but my giant yellow oranda was the fastest fish I've ever had! She was longer bodied than my other orandas and has less wen :)

From experience of just having obtained about 20 goldfish around 50mm (2 inches) which are swimming fanatically in all directions as against my main tank where the average length is about 150mm (6 inches) and the only time the seem to move with any vigour is feeding time.

My 3 massive goldfish are generally pretty lazy unless it's feeding time, or during a water change (I'm always shooing them away when trying to clean up with the python). They are no where near as busy as they were then they were a lot smaller.

It takes getting used to as well, because with smaller fish, you start checking water params and temp as soon as you see some bottom sitting going on, but with older bigger GF, they tend to rest enough that even when the params and temp are perfect, that's pretty much all they do, rest lol

Very true for fancies, not so much for long-bodied fish. My fancy babies survived in large numbers in the parental pond. They could dart out of the way of the big fish so easily the the big guys didn't bother trying to catch them. I three years, one baby has survived in the front pond, which is all pond-type fish, in spite of almost endless spawning through about half of the year, and occasional activity the rest of the year.

Ok from my experience the larger (older) fish are less active than smaller, younger fish.

My oldest and biggest girl swims around, checks out the decor and algae and stuff, but is not much of a constant fast swimmer anymore as she was years ago. She usually seems like a person that would be comfortably strolling a park, looking at the scenery etc.

Her offspring are significantly more active, just like she was when she was younger.

• 3 weeks later...