Panda Butterfly Variation in Australia

Over the last two months I have been collecting Panda Goldfish from various sources in order to set up a back and white Goldfish Tank and have noticed the extreme variations in colour variants.

The first shipment was about two months ago and they were mainly white with very little back, still quite stunning fish.

Panda1White_zps5b9e8673.jpg

The second batch were about a month ago and they and had blacker fins and bodies.

PANDA2_zps98a2094f.jpg

The next photo shows the first and second shipment fish comparison.

Panda3_zpscc323c02.jpg

The third group were only purchase a few days ago and are darker still. Please excuse the next photo quality as the fish are still in isolation in my garage and will be moved to the main tanks after about two weeks.

PANDA4_zpsf693b8b8.jpg

Has any one else noticed these variations. Regards Paul

Edited by dan in aus
Fixed images.

What you are showing are fish in the various stages of losing their black.

It's not a variation. Nearly all pandas undergo this loss. It's really just a matter of when.

What you are showing are fish in the various stages of losing their black.

It's not a variation. Nearly all pandas undergo this loss. It's really just a matter of when.

bingo ,and very nice teles Edited by Gustave

The photo's are showing now and the first shipment were white when the arrived they did not have a chance to loose their colours thats they way they were.

Then they should not have been labeled as panda. Do you know what I mean? Pandas are by definition black and white fish. I guess technically they are still pandas, but that black would have been gone in a couple of weeks.

Look here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105822-change-will-do-you-good-d/

My tricolor changed completely in 3 months. :)

Yes, and when they are all white, they are not pandas anymore :o:rofl

I actually love white goldfish, and I really love seeing the color changes. So, it's not bad for me.

However, I understand it can be quite a frustration when you are trying to derive lines that are a bit more stable in that coloration.

I think that they are beautiful, gorgeous fish either way!

The very first photo with the two that are almost fully white, I wouldn't mind owning either one of them, no matter if panda or not :)

That is just the fun part about goldfish and their color change!

• Supporter

because i am not one to notice colour much as this is something fish change all the time, what i do notice is body shape and condition/style of fins,

as we are in AU.. we get fish from China, Japan, Thailand, Singapore etc.. depending on where your supply has come from will vary the fish in body shape (can sometimes make a difference in the colour too, particularly the reds ;) )..

ie, the first group you show seem more like the shipment came from Japan.. beautiful telescopes with nice even eyes, nice short, deep bodies with wide bottoms :)

the second group shipment looks to me like they could be from Thailand

and the third group looks like China.

my supplier imports from all 4 countries stated above, the difference in their body shape is very apparent. at the moment, the telescopes he has that came in from China are often not of very good quality aesthetically if you are looking for near enough to show grade fish.

China also mass produces, so there are many flaws in the line of breed of most fish that they send offshore. Japan being the better quality fish at the moment and for the few years gone by.. even Thailand is coming up with some beauties at 1/4 cost.. but the ones that won my heart this year, Singapore.. currently, they have some stunning fish on the market :) i find that the calico fish that come from Singapore are just to die for :heart nice, consistent splashing of colour and markings all over the body, even in their mouths :)

I'm with Fang you can ship me either of the first two white teles any time :)

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what my Panda Max will end up looking like over the next few months he's loosing his black rather quickly ;)

while on this subject...what do you call a panda Moor after they lose the black coloration?are they then referred to as telescopes??

I love my former panda now white butterfly. He is a little tank. Right now I have a panda that was once a blue butterfly. She seems to be holding the last of her blue pretty well but will likely be a white tele.

• Supporter

Just for interest the following photo was originally a back butterfly and now could be classified as a panda. It i.s about 150mm (6 inches)

PANDA7_zps9b994c33.jpg

you're gonna have a nice lovely orange fishy by the time that wardrobe change is done :rofl

a nice and cute orange fishy :heart