Sign in to follow this  
Black

Looking after Pickles

I think I have had my little white ranchu now for 2 weeks. After everything I have gone through with Googles, I am paranoid that something is going to go wrong with Pickles too...

I was wondering if I could please have some advice on food amounts and diet and anything else that I can do to help prevent SBD.

- I am doing between 50-80% weekly water changes

- He is on a diet of SG and Hikari pellets which I pre-soak

I don't think my scales are accurate enough to weigh out 1% of his body weight, so would some one be able to tell me how many pellets I should be feeding daily? He weighs 9 grams

I fed him 15 pellets earlier and he ate them in under 5 seconds! He acts constantly hungry and nibbles all the time at the pothos roots!

Thanks guys

what kind of hikari do you have, I may be able to weigh some out for you

Jess & C.,

Since he is a young fish, you could even do 1% Repashy and 1% Saki, provided he doesn't have any issues. He is in his growth phase, so 2% of this combo is very reasonable :)

Okay, I did some weighing http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

For the Saki you can do around 25 pellets a day (this is about .1 grams - .09 is 1% of his weight, but my scale only goes down to .1, we're only .01 grams off :P)

For the SG take a look at the pics in the link above

25 pellets! no wonder he's been gobbling them up :D Thanks Jess and Alex.

What about Googs? I tend to feed around 20 pellets and 1% SG a day...

I've never seen a fish act so hungry constantly!

Is feeding 8 pellets at a time too many? I've noticed his poop has been a little long... only a little though

Yeah I would split the pellets into at least two meals and the gel into two meals in the day if possible... it is best to have many small meals :)

Thanks Haley

The thing is 25 pellets is 1%, so I have already split it up into three 8 pellet feedings :idont

If he doesn't get floaty or constipated it should be fine. :) I've found it very helpful to mix it up so they get enough greens throughout the day in between pellet feedings.

Ooooooh okay gotcha! I agree with Jenny. As long as he seems alright with it then it should be fine. If he gets floaty or very sluggish then I would cut down a bit per feeding

Thanks guys :) I'll give him a little SG between pellets