First cycle, grrr

mochi

Over xmas, I bought a very small filter (this one) and a master fresh water test kit. I have a 2 gallon that I am trying to convert into a shrimp tank. I never cycled before, I read as much as I can and I think the basic is ammonia to nitrite, and than to nitrate. I can't find any pure ammonia so I'm just using some tropical fish pellets.

On a other forum, people suggested that I add a small piece of sponge to the filter to increase the space for bacteria to live and slow the current down which is what I did since the filter only has a thin fabric.

So far I tested the water after 3 days and the ammonia is only 0.25ppm. I know it takes time for food to rot, but how long should I wait to test for nitrite? I don't want to test everyday since its kind of wasteful, should I test after a week?

I'm a little confused about whether I should keep adding fish food or just wait for nitrate?

I would like to add plants eventually. Should I add the plants now or wait until the tank is cycled?

So there's no possible way you can get pure ammonia? The pellets may start to rot,causing an unwanted mess and dirty water.

Is there any way you can get hold of a water heater?

I've read that you can choose to add plants during the cycle or when it is done establishing ;)

Edited by teleSC

If you are using this as a shrimp tank, I do not think you need to spend all that time pre-cycling the tank. The shrimp aren't really putting out that much waste. I'd just go for it. :)

If you are using this as a shrimp tank, I do not think you need to spend all that time pre-cycling the tank. The shrimp aren't really putting out that much waste. I'd just go for it. :)

I never knew that :)

Saves you a lot of time :)

Edited by teleSC