Can this be done?!

Black

I have never seen a tank divider before and I was wondering if I can put in one thats splits the tank into two diagonally... like this?

divider.jpg

The reason for this is because I was to give Googles more floor space. I have put the filter on Pickles side as he can cope with the current better. Do dividers have holes in to allow for poop and water to flow through?

How are they attached?

Would it be possible to custom make one using netting or some other material?

There doesn´t seem to be a reason why a divider couldn´t run diagonally but the ones my father used to use slip into slots that probably wouldn´t work at an angle. Some product could most likely be rigged to work. I´m so glad you are working on a solution for both Googles and Pickles!

As long as the divider allows water flowing from one side to the other (since only one side has a filter) and it is somehow secured so it can't move (a few rocks along the bottom should work just fine in your case, since the divider will be long enough and stuck in the corners of the tank), I do not see a problem :)

You could try using this stuff to make your own divider. It's plastic canvas for needlepoint, you can usually find it at craft stores.

130096.jpg

Maybe you could then secure some suction cups to it using clear fishing line (tied taught so there is nothing for the fish to get tangled in). Then just suction it in place where you want it. Just an idea! :)

You could try using this stuff to make your own divider. It's plastic canvas for needlepoint, you can usually find it at craft stores.

130096.jpg

Maybe you could then secure some suction cups to it using clear fishing line (tied taught so there is nothing for the fish to get tangled in). Then just suction it in place where you want it. Just an idea! :)

130096.jpg

That's a good idea! Do you think the plastic would be fishie safe?

130096.jpg

130096.jpg

That's a good idea! Do you think the plastic would be fishie safe?

That's a very good idea. People use this stuff to make moss carpets/walls in fresh water tanks all the time, and have for many years.

Those needlepoint sheets are most definitely fish safe! :3 They are just pure plastic without any additives. Just to be safe, get the clear or white ones, I'm not sure about the colored ones. Also, they're usually about $1 each, come in various sizes, and are flexible and easy to cut into the size you need. :D Good luck! Post pictures when you're done!

If you're going to make your own divider, positioning it diagonally like that might well make it even easier, as it's kind of wedged in there and can't move much to one side or the other. When I made dividers for gerbil habitats, the only position for the divider that they couldn't move out of the way was the diagonal one.

Possibly use the eggcrate lighting panels/ light diffusers frequently used under light fixtures. A bit more sturdy and may just wedge in between the corners.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/24-in-x-48-in-white-egg-crate-lighting-panel-5-pack--lp2448egg-5.html#.UOI09HfXvmY

Just an example to kind of show the product. I hate HD and you can probably get it cheaper

This is the biggest I can find:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a23e2315

and then fixed with these: ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-CLEAR-AQUARIUM-TANK-DIVIDER-SHEET-HOLDER-SUCTION-CUPS-/230881028376?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35c194e918

I am no longer going to divide the tank diagonally as I've realised Googs will be forever getting stuck in the corners

Do you think these two things combined will work?

Edited by Black

Possibly use the eggcrate lighting panels/ light diffusers frequently used under light fixtures. A bit more sturdy and may just wedge in between the corners.

http://www.homedepot...ml#.UOI09HfXvmY

Just an example to kind of show the product. I hate HD and you can probably get it cheaper

That's a great idea! In addition to being more sturdy than the plastic canvas, it also has bigger holes so the water circulation would be much better.

That's a great idea! In addition to being more sturdy than the plastic canvas, it also has bigger holes so the water circulation would be much better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-plastic-egg-crate-filter-Grid-koi-marine-tropical-pond-goldfish-/160946407410?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item25792747f2 ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25792747f2 ?

That's the right stuff. You should be able to find it at any hardware store.

I've thought of using it to allow new plants to get a good start before the fish start tearing into it. Let the roots get a firm grip in the substrate.

Will do! Suction cups arrived this morning, I think they will be an ok fit. They hold a max of 6mm thickness and the egg crate is 5mm.

Thanks Avepico and Sakura for the ideas! Will have to probably wait another week for the crate but at least it's sorted :) The ones I saw in hardware stores were too pricey or too thick

Will have to probably wait another week for the crate but at least it's sorted :) The ones I saw in hardware stores were too pricey or too thick

I have that problem a lot. As much as I like to support local businesses, I won't pay lots more than I would online.

It arrived early and is all set up! I had to do it in 2 pieces as I made a mistake when cutting it but thankfully I was able to fix it.

Here's the pics:

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

What do u guys think of the decor? I don't want it to be too boring for them but I don't want them to lose what little space they have either

Given that I doubt you will ever get a divider that is inherently attractive, this looks pretty good. Nice clean look, you did a good job IMO.