Did some work on my tank last night!

tithra

Just wanted to share some pictures of my tank with you guys. I spent all of last night changing out my sand substrate for a mix of eco complete and tahitian moon sand. I started to worry about compaction with the fine sand I was using previously, plus the white sand got dirty looking quite quickly.

I am happy with how it turned out so far, now I just need to be patient and wait for everything to grow in!

Plants include dwarf hairgrass, corscrew val (these are in the back and are very short because they melted so much I had to cut them down to the roots when I got them), rotala indica back right, star grass in front of the rotala, glosso center front, and a few anubias off to the side.

DSC_0006_zps439a2728.jpg

DSC_0004_zps4fc35728.jpg

DSC_0008_zps07925727.jpg

DSC_0010_zps1845979f.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, it's so pretty. I'm soooo jealous! Great work :)

Thank you!!

Wow Tithra it looks great! I know it mustve been really fiddly putting in all those individual plants by hand but it looks worth the work!

Hope everything grows in well for you :)

haha... it was painful replanting the glosso! Took me 7 hrs to switch out the substrate and replant everything!

It looks really pretty! The fish aren't pulling up the hairgrass?

Thank you! Nope, the DHG is actually getting pulled up the least.... the glosso has gotten pulled out here and there since it doesn't have a very long root system yet, but I luckily have fish that aren't really interested in destroying plants (not yet anyway.... I keep waiting for them to figure out that they can do that :P)

That looks very nice! Your guys need to teach my guys to not consider almost all live plants as free salad bar :lol

Thanks! Haha, I know, mine are so well behaved when it comes to plants, it's kind of ridiculous.

Beautiful!

Thank you! :)

So gorgeous!!!!!! Seriously! And I can't believe your fish actually eave the plants alone

Thank you :) they are well behaved fish :P

Wow! :thud That is absolutely stunning! How about you come to Michigan and do that to my tank? It's the same size as yours so doing it the 2nd time should go much more quickly! :rofl

Fabulous, fabulous work, tithra!!! :heart

:rofl :rofl Sure! If you're paying! haha

Don't tempt me!! Your tank is a living work of art! Of course, it helps that your fish and those fins of theirs are jaw dropping!! My fish are, well, simple shall we say? :rofl

stop that! you have beautiful fish!

I do have family in michigan I should visit :hummm

:P

That looks very nice! Your guys need to teach my guys to not consider almost all live plants as free salad bar :lol

Thanks! Haha, I know, mine are so well behaved when it comes to plants, it's kind of ridiculous.

They are robots.

Just like Alex.

:rofl

They are robots.

Just like Alex.

:rofl :rofl

They are robots.

Just like Alex.

This is true. No matter how hard you try, you'll never out post him because he's programmed with a +1post program. Lol!

Do you have family in NJ, so you can whip my little plant murderers into shape?

Can't wait to see how this tank grows in. Your off to a wonderful start.

Thank you! The waiting is the hardest part (as Tom Petty once said)

Neat! Do you like the Eco Complete? 100lbs of it just landed on my doorstep this morning...

How did you find the experience of putting it into the tank?

That's a lot of eco complete!

I do like eco complete. This is actually the same substrate setup I have had in my betta tank for quite some time - thick layer of eco complete with a cap of TMS. The eco complete has worked out really well in my betta tank so far. And it actually doesn't make the tank that cloudy initially in my experience. The only thing with the eco complete is that plants can easily slip out of it until they get an established root system, so I find the cap of TMS helps with this issue.

They are robots.

Just like Alex.

This is true. No matter how hard you try, you'll never out post him because he's programmed with a +1post program. Lol!

Do you have family in NJ, so you can whip my little plant murderers into shape?

haha I have friends in NJ! :P

Edited by tithra

Hashi & Edie have the most outrageous fins I think I've ever seen on an oranda! The tank looks great, and along with everyone else, I can hardly believe those fish aren't pulling up the glosso & DHG. Looking forward to photos of how it fills in!

~Bruce

I love the understated elegance of this tank; plus Hashi and Edie are gorgeous as always. :)

It will be interesting to see how quickly the glosso spreads now that it's in the Eco-complete. Good job, Tithra! :)

Edited by dan in aus