Horned Nerites

number20121

Now these guys are ultra cute and pretty. I love them!

BUT

I might as well not have them.

Since I got these guys (unfortunately 1 DOA and 1 went to snail heaven a few days after arrival), I have moved three of the four into the 5g betta tank, where they do a so-so job at trying to get the spot algae cleaned off. I think they eat some of it but the acrylic is far from being clear - and that is three snails working on it.

I still got the fourth snail in the Banana tank in hope the snail will clean the algae off of the anubias in there, but NO. Even though I manually clean pretty much all the diatoms off of the glass and filter intake and bubble wand, this little guy keeps his distance to the plants. Instead he searches for "hidden" diatoms that are along the inner silicone seal of the bottom seams :doh11:

You know, the ones that you can't clean off that easily.

And yes, I tried moving him on top of one of the plants, and he ate a bit, but a few hours later he was on his favorite spot on the back wall silicone seam again :glare:

I AM DISAPPOINT

Back when my Nerites were alive, they ate everything diatom in sight, but I've read from threads here that not all are industrious about eating the algae.

I wonder why that is. :(

Back when my Nerites were alive, they ate everything diatom in sight, but I've read from threads here that not all are industrious about eating the algae.

I wonder why that is. :(

Were yours the "normal" nerites or the small horned? Now I am aware that the tiny horned nerites eat much less than the big ones. The four I have probably equal one large regular nerite.

I don't regret having these guys since they are very pretty. But the one that seems to plot to eat my silicone seam to get my tank to leak is a real a-hole. :rofl

I'm gonna go to Petsmart today to get me a baby albino bristlenose if they have any. They're so tiny, he'll be alright to be QT in a 5g bucket, and then he will move back and forth between my goldfish tanks to eat clean the plants. Or maybe I'll just move the plants to his tank. Or something like that. :lol

When I got mine, they made a big impact on an ornament right away. But then, I was a little disappointed -- it just didn't seem like they were keeping up. I wanted to see the same result everywhere. But then one day, I realized that everything was much cleaner. I think they just need more time. :)

In my 36, my anubias has gotten covered with brown algae. I put the snail on it a few times, but they just go elsewhere. But yesterday, I saw that two little dudes were on it, and today the top leaves are perfectly clean. They can't be rushed, I guess. Plus, it hasn't been that long, and they sometimes take mini hibernation breaks. Perhaps yours still are adjusting.

Mine do the same as Shawns. Probably because the first one is from Shawns tank and he taught the others that followed :D

The do like to pick and choose though. 1 or 2 leaves on an anubias will be sparkling clean and the others covered in browm algae!

Fang,

I have the zebra HORNED nerite snails also..................and they do clean, but it takes them some time......I did notice that they DID NOT clean right away.....it took them some time to "settle" in...........and they were small when I got them (about pea size) but now......they are MUCH bigger and cleaning MUCH better....................so don't give up hope yet................. ;)

I have the zebra type nerites and they do a pretty good job on my anubias leaves as well as the rest of the tank, but I also do the majority of the work myself ;)

And I just received a baby albino bristle nose pleco for Christmas ;):) :) :) I'm hoping he'll tackle the rest of what I miss ;) lol

When I got mine, they made a big impact on an ornament right away. But then, I was a little disappointed -- it just didn't seem like they were keeping up. I wanted to see the same result everywhere. But then one day, I realized that everything was much cleaner. I think they just need more time. :)

In my 36, my anubias has gotten covered with brown algae. I put the snail on it a few times, but they just go elsewhere. But yesterday, I saw that two little dudes were on it, and today the top leaves are perfectly clean. They can't be rushed, I guess. Plus, it hasn't been that long, and they sometimes take mini hibernation breaks. Perhaps yours still are adjusting.

Mine do the same as Shawns. Probably because the first one is from Shawns tank and he taught the others that followed :D

The do like to pick and choose though. 1 or 2 leaves on an anubias will be sparkling clean and the others covered in browm algae!

Fang,

I have the zebra HORNED nerite snails also..................and they do clean, but it takes them some time......I did notice that they DID NOT clean right away.....it took them some time to "settle" in...........and they were small when I got them (about pea size) but now......they are MUCH bigger and cleaning MUCH better....................so don't give up hope yet................. ;)

I have the zebra type nerites and they do a pretty good job on my anubias leaves as well as the rest of the tank, but I also do the majority of the work myself ;)

And I just received a baby albino bristle nose pleco for Christmas ;):) :) :) I'm hoping he'll tackle the rest of what I miss ;) lol

Thanks, ladies!

I am quite sure mine aren't hibernating or adjusting anymore though.

Why?

Because these jerks in the 5g acrylic now think they need to plaster EGGS all over the tank :doh11:

Now who's going to clean THAT off?? :rofl

I checked Petsmart yesterday to get an albino bristlenose, but they told me they had them only as special buy fish, and are now out. I wanted to kick myself in the butt because I kept procrastinating buying one of them, and now they are gone. I don't want to get one from a different LFS because I don't trust most LFS' fish care and health. :lol