Why did you decide to get Goldfish?

FishyMandy

I've always been interested in fish, and my brother had a tank when he was still living at home with a betta. I got really interested in bettas before I even had them, and I finally ended up buying my first betta in early 2011 from my local importer who had a really nice year-old betta who is now called Artemis :) I then started keeping tropical fish as well and then, after finding one of Tithras youtube videos, I wanted orandas! Long story short, I got a lot of information, sent to kokos, and BAM! Goldfish :rofl

I got them because my son brought one home from summer camp. Lol! And then I found out you can only keep goldfish with other goldfish...

Now I see how friendly they are, and how much they looooove the hand that feeds them. I can't imagine my life without them.

Edited by yafashelli

Guest animal1998

I have always had fish. Always. And I had had bettas in my room for a while and got a new fish tank when my betta died and picked out a goldfish being told they were much easier. 6 wrong food, swim bladder cured, fin rot, ammonia poisoning and a ton of other stuff later, I was hooked on this little fish whose fate rested entirely in my hands.He now has a bigger tank, and a buddy!

My Dad kept tropical fish when I was little. I always loved watching them. I grew up...one day while in a pet store I was looking at the fish & a black & orange oranda caught my eye. He was SO cute with a little black moustache!! I dubbed him Grougho. He came home with me & lived in a ten gallon tank with a too small filter & rare water changes. He lost all of the black and became a big orange goldie his name eventually changed to BIG BOY. I found Koko's looking to make things better for him. I found his home was too small. My hubby came home with a 29 gallon tank & a real filter!! I was in business!! Little did I know what I was in for!!

So thankful for this ever growing ever learning experience!!!

Edited by Jeana727

I got into goldfish about 14 years ago when I decided to buy a big ceramic garden pot to fill with water plants. We did have mosquitos so someone suggested getting a goldfish to keep the mosquito larvae under control.It worked great but then came fall and time to get ready for winter. Now what to do with the little fishie as it was getting cold out there! Someone said just flush him but I was Not going to do that so I went and got a bowl and dechlorinator and food. Got tired of daily water changes and thought he could use a buddy. Bought a 10gal,then a 30gal, a 55 gal. and finally a 108 gal ! Then the private water system where we'd moved to started to deteriate and we were without water half the time and decided to give up goldfish and sold my 108 gal. But I missed their sweet little faces a lot so when the province took over the water system last year and water is ok again I've decided to go back to them on a smaller scale. Have a 30 gal. cycling and am planning on re-sealing my old 55gal.