Why did you decide to get Goldfish?

FishyMandy

• Helper

When you first got Goldfish, what made you decide to get them?

For me it was more than I had so many other animals at the time, Dogs, Cats, Rats, Rabbits, Birds....I thought I may as well try fish. I never thought I'd still have them 5/6 years later, and never thought I'd be so attached to them :)

I was getting a birthday present "for my fiancee". :rofl He liked going to look at the fish stuff all the time, so I decided to buy some. I picked batman out because he was shiney and goofy looking. Did my research, and found out he could only be with goldies, and TADA. :clapping:

Good topic! :)

I grew up with goldfish always in the home, because my sister (and to a lesser extent, I as well) is allergic to a lot of things, including cats and dogs, etc. So, for the longest time, the rule was that unless it's in water, it can't stay in the house. My mom chose goldfish, because those were her favorite kinds, and having grown up with them, I couldn't not ever have them. I am hooked. :)

Edit: Mandy, may I make a request, please? Would it be alright if I move this to the General Goldfish Discussion that is accessible to the entire forum? I think it's a good topic, and it would be fun to permit all to participate. However, if you prefer that it remain here, that would be fine also, of course. :)

• Helper

Good topic! :)

I grew up with goldfish always in the home, because my sister (and to a lesser extent, I as well) is allergic to a lot of things, including cats and dogs, etc. So, for the longest time, the rule was that unless it's in water, it can't stay in the house. My mom chose goldfish, because those were her favorite kinds, and having grown up with them, I couldn't not ever have them. I am hooked. :)

Edit: Mandy, may I make a request, please? Would it be alright if I move this to the General Goldfish Discussion that is accessible to the entire forum? I think it's a good topic, and it would be fun to permit all to participate. However, if you prefer that it remain here, that would be fine also, of course. :)

Oh of course, that is fine to move it :) I don't mind at all!

Goldfish are a great pet like that! I don't think I've ever heard of someone being allergic to them! That's awesome you had them since you were a kid!

I was getting a birthday present "for my fiancee". :rofl He liked going to look at the fish stuff all the time, so I decided to buy some. I picked batman out because he was shiney and goofy looking. Did my research, and found out he could only be with goldies, and TADA. :clapping:

Isn't it fun when you buy something for someone else and you end up hooked on it? XD

i was browsing the internet and came across betta fish i wanted to get one so i bought a bowl i ordered a heater but it never came i was impatient and got a lion head goldfish now named Leonard he was so cute and then i found this forum n yeah im stuck with them lol but i love them and they're not dying on my watch

I realise this sounds very shallow but it's the truth! :0

I had just finished decorating my living room, I had a new carpet laid and bought a whole set of living room furniture, sofas, dining table and chairs, lamp tables and a coffee table all in beautiful solid oak. When it was all finish I sat back and I knew something was missing. :idea

I thought I'd start with goldfish as I thought they would be easy and I liked that they were bigger than most tropical fish I had seen.

The funny part of my story is that, not long after I got into my new goldfish hobby, my ex husband nearly destroyed me by having an affair and ending our 10 year relationship. I left the marital home with nothing except my clothes and my fish tank! :)

My husband and then 11 year old came home with a 27 liter tank and two goldfish. Terry, the kid, found Kokos when things started to go wrong and we got with the program quickly after that. We currently have 1 goldfish and a large tank we are trying to put into good order (missing lights and plants now). After it is in shape, we will add one more goldie.

I had goldfish as a kid before and so I knew everything about them :doh11:

In early 2008 then I decided to get back into goldfish again, just to have some cute little fish. It wouldn't take up much room, since I only planned to get a 2.5 gallon tank with a couple feeders, and they don't need much room or a filter or anything.

Yeah............ that's how it all started :lol

My niece lives a block away and has reactions to all kinds of furry animals. My son and I do too, but our allergies aren't as severe. So I thought fish would be nice, and goldfish were bigger and had more personality than some others. Plus, they are easy to tell apart, so the kids could pick one they liked and name it.

But immediately, I was bitten by the bug too, so I got one. Then my husband got one. And I found out about ranchus and other varieties, so I got another one ... and another ... and another. ;)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I originally got Clementine because I was researching goldfish types, having only ever seen or known slim bodies and moors. Goldfish seemed to be the best thing to take to college, because I wanted something bigger than a betta that still fit the non-predatory fish rule. Orandas turned out to be my favorite, and then I found her at my LFS. :)

A couple weeks after I graduated grad school my bf made an off hand comment about how I wouldn't even be able to keep a fish alive for 6 months (I think we were talking about having kids lol). I took this as a challenge and thought a couple goldfish would be a great graduation present to myself. I had kept a pair of teles when I was in high school, so I think that's why I gravitated to goldies specifically.

I was keeping tropical fish before I ever kept goldfish, and have always had tropical fish for a really long time (about 5-7 years), then, I realized my tropical tank was SUPER, EXTREMELY overstocked since I was stocking it with all kinds of fish, so I gave the whole tank away and decided to start a new fish tank. This time I decided to do it right so I went on the internet and looked through fish care videos on YouTube, and found tithra's videos. After seeing beautiful Puf and Eddie, I fell in love with goldfish because of their beauty and that's how I started. I wish I started with goldfish sooner since they have more personality and are more interesting. Wish I didn't listen to those who say "goldfish die easily"

When we moved to this house, there was a little preformed pond next to front door. It had a pump in a prefilter box, a waterfall, a couple of water lilies and some other plants. It was not very attractive, but I figured with more plants in and around it, it would look fine. My husband suggested we might get some goldfish for it, but my experience with goldfish as a child indicated they were much too delicate for such a casual environment, so I vetoed this. The plants in and around the water garden grew into a jungle that looked great in the summer, but made pond maintenance almost impossible. In the winter, when the tropical vegetation died back, the shabbiness of the pond became obvious. Cleaning it up was a nightmare because there wasn't decent walking space around it. After about five years, the pond sprung a leak, so we got a piece of liner, and lined the preformed.

When I painted my house, I decided the situation was unbearable. Just to get to the house to wash and paint it, I had to chop down plants. Then I had to climb over the stumps to do the painting. In addition, there was the terrible mess caused by the invasive Cuban tree frogs that spawned in the pond. These things are cute when they are little, but they get big. They have a number of nasty habits, starting with not just competing with, but also killing, native frogs. They have huge suction cups on their toes. They cling to the side of the house producing copious amounts of poop that stains even if you wash it off promptly. They leap onto windows with a bang, and sneak into the house. You find the mummies when cleaning out a seldom-used closet. They make a terrible racket.

I decided to dig up the overgrown vegetation, transplanting that which was useful, make a patio under the front window, and build a neat little pond using the liner from the old pond. Unfortunately, this limited me to a 100 gallon pond. To help control the tadpole population, I would put in some goldfish. My forum research indicated that I needed 20 gallons per goldfish, and if I put in feeders from Petsmart, probably half of them would survive, so I got 10. That's when I found out that the people who give info on forums are often not talking from experience. Everyone who has actually done it has close to 100% survival. So that meant I had to learn how to build a better filter and plan for a bigger pond in a year.

My parents had goldfish for a long time, but i never paid much attention to them. One day, they put together a backyard pond and stuck our aquarium fish outside. So we had goldfish and guppies (tons of guppies!!!!!) Well winter came, and all guppies died. Goldfish still held strong even when the surface froze over one year. This pond had no pump, no filter, and just a few plants.

About 2 years later, I decided to clean out the pond. My parents had moved out, so it was only me who could've done anything. Crazy undertaking!!! For a pond that was only 2.5 ft deep, it had 1 ft of sludge! After 3 days, I managed to pull out all the fish, scoop out all the water&sludge, clean the pond, and refill with clean water. I put the goldfish back in and sat there for hours in awe of them. Then I fell in love with goldfish.

One year later, I found out I could have fish in my dorm room. So got 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon kit. Then I found titra's and sakura's youtube videos. I promptly upgraded to 50 gallon and bought 2 raingarden goldfish (despite being near broke! and i'm recommended to not have a job for another 2 and half years =_=). But I really love having them.

For me, I just liked their appearance. I always thought they had such cute, inquisitive faces and their various shapes and colors attracted me. Only later did I find out how engaging their little personalities were and I was hooked hopelessly. XD

When I was younger I fell in love with my aunts goldie she kept in a 2 gal bowl. Auntie gave her to me and I had bowlfish for a number of years before giving it up. Fast forward to about 6 years ago. My bf and I were going fishing quite a bit and I wanted to catch and release but he wanted to eat them all. So I asked him if I could get some fish to keep alive at his house. He said sure so I got a couple feeder gf cause they are cheap. I totally fell back in love with goldfish then and got bigger and bigger tanks and more fish!! :D

It's great reading everyone's story.

My marriage took a terrible turn for the worse. My husband left me and I was so sad. I had to share custody of our dogs with him which was difficult for me. I needed a pet that was mine - that I didn't have to share. Plus it needed to be a cheap pet (ha ha joke on me....fish are far away from being a cheap hobby). I got Bertie, my ryukin, and that was it....I was hooked. 3 more goldfish later and I can't imagine my life without them. :)

Ive had so many diffrent fishes, planted tanks, reef, growing corals. The callenge is not there anymore. But I never had a very very big fancy goldfish. So, it serve as a challenge for me to have diffrent varieties of goldfish and grow them as big as they can.