Sign in to follow this  
meatisadelicacy

Ranchu has red and white-ish spot on back

Just noticed it this morning and it was not there two days ago when I did the water change. I have metromeds, medigold, melafix, maracyn 2, prazipro, and salt on hand in case anything like this happens so I can treat right away. None of my fish have ever had anything like this. He's acting the same as always. Thanks in advance for your help!

tumblr_mflvzy9FOo1qi989qo1_400.jpg

* Ammonia Level (tank):

• * Nitrite Level (tank)<.3
  • * NH3/NH4 (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) <.3
  • * NH3/NH4 (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8-8.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8-8.5
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra test, Drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquatop CF400 and CF500 with UV, 125 and 175 gallons
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? tap water conditioner and bacteria w each change
  • * Water temperature? 72 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 5-7 days, at least 75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days, 80%

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? tank is 75 g, running for 1 year
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, 2 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? home made gel food, pro gold, peas, blood worms on occasion, fed twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? neigh.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) two fish died this summer, unknown cause. treated whole tank with prazi. telescope had eye injury but all better now!
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Neigh.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. This was completed maybe 3 months ago
  • Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
    Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
    Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
    Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
    Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
    Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
    Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
    Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Hello, it looks like there is an ulcer forming. It doesn't look too bad, and I am presenting you with 3 different options.

1. Salt to 0.3% and daily WCs.

2. Metro-Meds for 14 days.

3. Medi-Gold for 10 days.

I presented it to you in the least to most aggressive. Since it is only one spot, I would do salt, and re-evaluate in the next 2 days. :)

one possibility is that your ranchu could have been floating when idling.

one possibility is that your ranchu could have been floating when idling.

This is an excellent thought.

The suggestions are based on the fact that there is now an open wound, which would be susceptible to infections. Hence, the suggestions in gradations of aggressiveness, and also the slight preference which one I would personally go for. :)

Good suggestions Alex and I think it's also best not to break the skin and allow bacteria to enter from the outside. Which in that case may lead to a full blown ulcer. (area around it is rather red) From the way this ranchu swims I think the problem started when he floated for too long.

Sarted salting right away. He'll go up to .2 percent when I get home from work. I think it already looks better, but it also might be because I was afraid it would be worse over night.

I thought it might have been from exposure to air when he's just chillaxin. He does occasionally seem to have some floating issues but it never lasts long, and he's never had any sores like this before.

Thanks everyone! I will keep a close eye on him and report back.

Good news :)

Well, my ranchu went back in the tank after two weeks of qt. That was on the 8th of this month. Now less than two weeks later, the red/white fuzzy spot is back again. I'm going to start setting up the qt again, but does anyone know what might be going on? I've had this guy for more than a year and he's never had any problems. Now this twice in less than a month.

Put up new pics and parameters please. Sometimes these ulcers/cysts come in waves.