Sign in to follow this  
le0p

Two new Orandas need help feedng!

So I just came into some larger Orandas and they seem to be doing great. Except they're not too excited by the food I got them (Omega One goldfish pellets). They seem to eat them off the substrate but it takes awhile, something I'm not used to with fish. The thing is, they're currently housed with some frogs who get fed floating turtle sticks. The goldies LOVE them. They wait for them to sink a bit and go to town. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the frogs fed in the mean time.

My question is, Is it healthy for them to be eating these turtle sticks? I checked the ingredients and mostly the turtle sticks are right one give or take a .5%-1% on some protein and fiber. BUT they are missng Omega 3 and Omega 6. How important is this? I will continue to feed the goldfish food as well as algae disks, but they are far more interested in the turtle food.

Thanks for the advise! These are my first Oranda goldfish, though I've had fish for years, I love these guys.

Honestly, I would not house frogs and goldfish together. If I recall, most frogs need warmer water where goldfish do better in cold water, and I would think the frogs would out-compete the goldfish for food, since the fish move much slower. I would say as long as they are eating their pellets you shouldn't have a problem. Goldfish tend to forage for food, so sifting through substrate for food is instinctual. If you feel they aren't getting enough food, you can try to teach them to hand feed. There is a good tutorial by Sakura, a member here, that shows how you can get your fish to learn to hand feed. I will see if I can find a link (:

While hand feeding is nice, it also does not solve the immediate issue.

I don't see any problems with the fish taking a long time to eat. It might be better that way, actually, since the fish are not gorging themselves. The only thing that you will want to make sure is that the leftover foods are cleaned up so as to not foul up the water.

There are tons of information on food types. Go to the Goldfish Food subforum and start reading :)

Honestly, I would not house frogs and goldfish together. If I recall, most frogs need warmer water where goldfish do better in cold water, and I would think the frogs would out-compete the goldfish for food, since the fish move much slower. I would say as long as they are eating their pellets you shouldn't have a problem. Goldfish tend to forage for food, so sifting through substrate for food is instinctual. If you feel they aren't getting enough food, you can try to teach them to hand feed. There is a good tutorial by Sakura, a member here, that shows how you can get your fish to learn to hand feed. I will see if I can find a link (:

I'm well aware of the dangers of housing frogs and fish together. I'm actually more concerned about the frogs being outcompeted. They're slow to find food, practically blind, and generally pretty dumb. Once they're on the food, they're ravenous but it takes awhile. I'm just worried the goldfish won't get the proper nutrition. The frogs will hand feed and take live food, so I may go that route until everyone is settled in. By the way the frog food is reptomin floating turtle sticks.

I'm well aware of the dangers of housing frogs and fish together. I'm actually more concerned about the frogs being outcompeted. They're slow to find food, practically blind, and generally pretty dumb. Once they're on the food, they're ravenous but it takes awhile. I'm just worried the goldfish won't get the proper nutrition. The frogs will hand feed and take live food, so I may go that route until everyone is settled in. By the way the frog food is reptomin floating turtle sticks.

That is interesting. I would definitely check out the goldfish food section of the forum, as Alex said. Another way to make the pellets more appealing to your goldfish is soaking them in garlic juice. It will make them easier to find and goldfish usually love garlic (: Though I would check to see if frogs are ok to use garlic around.

Welcome to the forum! I'd love to see pictures of your fish!

are you feeding the sticks and the pellets at the same time? If so you may want to try splitting up the feedings to different times

Either way, the frogs and goldfish as you already know and others have already said really shouldn't be housed together. With a few exceptions, goldfish should really be housed with goldfish.