Bloody Fish!

TheLilFishy

Hi Guys,

So, a couple of months ago I bought a 19L Fluval Chi, And I put my 2 Danios in, and My 2 Minnows in it that I had from a previous tank, unfortunately, one of the danios died. and my mum has 1 of the minnows, sooooooo, when I bought the tank, I went and got a fantail, before any of you jump down my throat about the tank being too small, I know, but I wanted to have a goldfish for a few months, and recently, it stayed at the bottom of the tank, and it had little white spots all on its tail, and it was sluggish and didn't move much except for food, I've seen it move properly for the first time in a while earlier, and I found that on the top left part of it's tail it has a lot of blood, and in the top left part it has a little bit of blood coming from it, and on the bottom fin too.

Please, someone help?

Thanks,

T

ammonia or nitrite poisoning due to living in 19 litres of water I would guess that plus white spot

Because I understand that goldies don't live long in small tanks

Sorry to spam up the thread but how long do you think they last for? Edited by FlipsHere

Your fish is most likely not "cut" but having a bacterial or water quality issue that is causing bloody marks to appear on the fins and body. We will not be able to give any recommendations to help until we have readings of your PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate from both your tank and your tap since all treatment options differ depending on these readings. If you do not have a testing kit, bring a sample of your water to your local fish store and ask them to test the water for you, and write down all of these reading and report back to us. We will then be able to help give advice on how to treat.

Blood marks can often be a reaction to water quality. They are not 'cut and bleeding' like we would. If you compare it to a human then the blood marks on the fish would be more like a rash or similar, like if we touched something that burned our skin or caused by an allergic reaction.

If you take a sample of your water to a fish store, be sure that you have them write down exact readings. Many will read the tube's color, and say, "Oh, your water is safe", when it really isn't.

LFS workers are not known for their aquatic prowess. Let us know as soon as you have those numbers, ok? They're very, very important. :heart

Hi Guys,

So, a couple of months ago I bought a 19L Fluval Chi, And I put my 2 Danios in, and My 2 Minnows in it that I had from a previous tank, unfortunately, one of the danios died. and my mum has 1 of the minnows, sooooooo, when I bought the tank, I went and got a fantail, before any of you jump down my throat about the tank being too small, I know, but I wanted to have a goldfish for a few months, and recently, it stayed at the bottom of the tank, and it had little white spots all on its tail, and it was sluggish and didn't move much except for food, I've seen it move properly for the first time in a while earlier, and I found that on the top left part of it's tail it has a lot of blood, and in the top left part it has a little bit of blood coming from it, and on the bottom fin too.

Please, someone help?

Thanks,

T

It sounds like poor water quality has caused your fish to get an illness, infection or both. Your fish may have been bought with an already illness or infection to which water quality may have worsened. Without clean water the fish cannot heal itself. Without information requested above, we cannot suggest any treatment plans or find a way to prevent this from happening again.

If you are committed to healing your fish and the work involved, then please fill out the information above to the best of your ability and we will help you from there. :)

Also, it's just occurred to me that I haven't done a water change in 2 weeks, as I was really, really busy last weekend and forgot to do it, so 'll change the water on Sunday, I'm busy tomorrow, but will have a go at trying to fit it in tomorrow :) this could be the cause of my bad water

Also, it's just occurred to me that I haven't done a water change in 2 weeks, as I was really, really busy last weekend and forgot to do it, so 'll change the water on Sunday, I'm busy tomorrow, but will have a go at trying to fit it in tomorrow :) this could be the cause of my bad water

In such a tiny tank you would need to be doing at least daily water changes, making sure to feed very, very little and use a good conditioner such as Prime.

I wish you all the best but I dont think your poor fishy will last long in that tank, I'm afraid.

Do you have a filter on the tank? How much water do you typically change? :idont

Also FYI, goldfish can live for a very long time. My longest living GF was over 7 years old and many members here have GF that are older than that. :)

Edited by fantailfan1

Goldfish are sadly very misunderstood and can often live for over five years or more in aquariums, even longer in ponds. They can grow to be very large and beautiful if cared for properly. No fish should be purchased unless you have a correct setup, so please take the time to research the kind of fish you are purchasing before bringing one home. You should always get fish that will live the most comfortably at their adult size in your current setup, never go by the size you are purchasing them at since they grow quickly. Fish cannot decide where they live or how they are taken care of, so it is very important you educate yourself on how to provide a proper home for them.

If you want to keep goldfish successfully, you will need at least a 20 gallon tank along with a cycled filter that circulates 10x the tanks volume each hour. They require at least a 50% water change each week, being sure new water matches their tank's temperature and PH. Ammonia and Nitrite need to register at 0ppm while Nitrate needs to stay below 20ppm. They also benefit from having a diet with high amounts of plant matter like algae and certain veggies, along with small amounts of protein throughout the day. If you feel like you can provide all of these things we are more than willing to help you but you will need to make some changes to your setup in order for your fish to recover.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): N/A
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)N/A
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)N/A
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):N/A
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)N/A
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)N/A
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/A
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)N/A
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Will be using drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Fluval, and not sure about the size
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?:King British
  • * Water temperature?N/A
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?Every week, and around 25-30%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 weeks, about 30%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?19L, and 2-3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?1 Danio, 1 Minnow, and a Fantail
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?Cheap flakes, and sinking pellets, 2 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) N/A
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood Streaks, 'grains of salt'
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying at bottom
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.N/A
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.N/A

• Admin

Just have to say, most likely 99% chance this fish is suffering from bad water quality... Goldfish need atleast 15-20 gallons per fish and you also have two other fish in with it... The filters that come with this set up are very in adequate for a goldfish, they barely work for tropical fish but for a goldfish no way....

The best thing you could do is get a bigger tank, if not maybe rehome this fish. Goldfish live to atleast 5 years even to 10 years old... Im sorry to be so blunt but this is the truth. :(