Sign in to follow this  
Hidr

Putting in a pond in the spring

We (my neighbor and I) have all the stuff and hope to put it in with my husbands help this spring. So I well have goldfish again. Woot. Any tips from your mistakes I might need would be great and anywhere I should do some research on putting in liners and such would be great too. Want to do this right.

I'm hoping spring will come soon for you!!

Paging the professor! :D

Wait what? I know I have not been on that much lately, but what happened to your goldfish? :(

How did I miss that?

I had to shut down another tank. So all the goldfish were re homed. Did this before I set up the 55 as a planted tank again. I have to look at my blog for dates. But not that long ago. I sure miss them.

November 14th.

Edited by Hidr

My only tips are bigger is always better and DIY filters are loads cheaper than commercial ones.

So what size and type of pond are you planning? In-ground, above ground, or partially in-ground? Container, lined, sealed concrete? Where are you planning to put it? How many fish do you want to have?

Bodoba already made the most essential points. All ponds are too small by the time they are finished and DIY filters are not only cheaper but also better.

You are so smart to plan early and look for feedback. Throw out your ideas, and we will love to provide advice -- some good, some not so good.

Congrats, Hidr! I don't know anything about ponds (other than most are gorgeous and make me a wee bit jealous!) but after seeing your tanks I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

Good luck and I'm excited for you and your neighbor! :D

I'm building a pond, too, so I'll be looking forward to reading your thread. I think I've read all the Pond topics on this forum already. :D

Yay! I can hardly wait to see it!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Congrats that is great news :) looking forward to following this as time goes by ;)

It is in ground. We have the liner. Should be about 300 gallons. Planning on fantails. Some plants well be added also. Might even have some BN's when mine start breeding again in the spring. Got to do more research on that idea. There is a place in the yard between our two homes that floods. Want to put it there so it wont do that anymore. I'll get a picture as soon as I am allowed to go outside. (still getting over being sick hubby want let me go outside.) Well only start out with maybe five or so fish let them populate the pond. Also don't want more then that to make sure they over winter ok.

Why would it stop flooding? I have no direct experience with it, but I have heard you should not put a pond in a low spot (which people tend to do). For starters, you will get runoff from the surrounding area when it rains. I guess if you use the soil you dig out for the pond to build up the sides, or make a pond that is partially above ground, you can handle that problem.

For a 300 gallon pond, it is so very much easier to use a large stock tank than to use a flexible liner, and stock tanks don't leak.

Fantails will do fine. Summer is a much bigger risk than winter.

Is this area accessible to other people (particularly children)? In many areas, if you have a water feature that isn't really shallow, you have to meet safety regulations for a pool. That includes being fenced to protect small children. You should inquire about such rules.

No children in this area. We live on 27 acres. The county put in a large fish pond on the back of the property. Didn't need anything special to have it done.

She has already bought the liner so need to work with that. Not only well we build up the sides some but there well be rock formation on it and plants around it cat tails ect...... Don't have the filter so that well be my part but she did get the fountain already.

That's good. What kind of soil do you have? Sandy soil requires a different plan than heavy soil.

We have a lot of clay in this area. The two big ponds on the property don't leak at all or get very low. However the neighbors "lake" has almost dried completely up the last two summers.

Congrats! I can't wait to see pics, and will be following this topic, as the new house also came with a surprise pond form (about 250 gallons) that is getting set up in the spring. I'm going to be stealing all of your useful info as you gather it. MWAHAHAHA! ;)

Clay is good. If you had sand like I do, you have to line the sides with cement blocks to keep them from collapsing. Clay soil will hold its shape.

How big is your liner, and what depth and shape are you planning? Is it EPDM?

EPDM firestone liner is the best I can attest to that. It's abit more expensive but well worth it. They make lakes out of this stuff!

As other have mentioned here, go as BIG as you can possibly go without blowing your budget or annoying the neighbours (who cares about them anyway!).

DIY filter is the way to go, also the bigger the better here too.

Not sure about the liner. Ill have to look when I go next door.