Sign in to follow this  
Guest vixen_vc

Food

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

The fish shop where I got my fish from have said I should only give my fish one pellet twice a day as it a pellet is equivalent to a 5 course meal, (Aquarian Goldfish pellet food). However the packet say 1-2 pellets 2-3xs a day per fish. However I have also read about the 2 min rule. I have a feeling my fish could eat many pellets in 2 mins. How much should I feed him, He is a black moor 2 inches long in length 3 inc tail.

Also its easy now to feed him whatever the correct amount maybe, but what happens when I get more fish, we are planning to get two small 1 inch fish, an oranda and a ryukin. How much do I feed all of them. So many questions!!! :huh: Also worried that the moor will eat everyone elses food!

Thanks

Vix

:stop It's sounds like you're a new goldfish owner! :welcome

First of all make sure that you don't get more than 1 goldfish per 10 gallons in your tank 'cause if you do you will end up with overcrowded, diseased fish because goldfish are dirty!

So anyways, about the food, I would say to only feed them as much as they will eat in 2 minutes, twice a day! Now that I follow that rule my goldies are a lot happier! :bounce BTW, when you do get more goldies stick to the 2 minute rule and fish out any food that's left behind. Don't worry about the black moor eating too much yet unless he has trailing poop. :)

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

He always has a trailing poo even when I was fasting him and then when I treated him for constipation, I think what it is, is that he does really big poos!

Alot of them float is that normal?

Thanks

Guest martinez14pr

I usually give my black moor about 2 sometimes 3 pellets for breakfast. He shouldn't eat any more than that, remember goldie's stomachs are only about the size of their pupils. Sounds like your fish is definately constipated. Try feeding him one or two peas twice a day until you don't see the long trail anymore. Then feed him one pellet twice a day as long as his poop is normal. But remember, you will always want to vary his diet. Just as we dont' like to eat the same food every day, neither do they. Try feeding him flakes, pellets, peas, oranges, brine shrimp, blood worms, daphnia, tubifex worms. Don't feed him TOO much! All these different types of food are yummy to him and he will thank you for it! What size tank do you have? and the floating poo means that he's gulping air when he eats. you have to soak the pellets in a little cup of his tank water before you give them to him. also, squishing them with your fingers will take the air out of the food. also do this with flakes, pellets, brine shrimp and tubifex

Edited by martinez14pr

Guest vixen_vc

When the tank was going through cycling. I only fed him one pellet a day anyway for two weeks with 3 days of fasting when nitrites were high and his poos were super long, and they were still long. I soak the food thoroughly before putting it in his tank as well, I also feed him peas. Do you feed you fish in the evening as well? Mine spends most of his time pooing! He does lots of little poos then a couple of big ones. Shall I feed him the 2 min rule in the morning and then peas in the evening. I am going to get worms on Friday I also feed him flakes on occasion. The tank is UK 10 which is American 12. I am getting a baby fish to keep him company and then am upgrading when I can afford it and get back from travelling! I cant afford it at the mo otherwise I would. See my post attached to toothless' mastercard moment.

Thanks

Vix

Has your tank cycled yet? Check out the link called cycling tanks in this website. As for trailing poop, I usually feed my goldies one vegetable meal and one protien meal a day. Once they're regular :rofl they start pooping normally. Also please hold off on another fish until you have cycled your tank because every time you add a fish another mini-cycle starts and it's harder on the fish in the tank.

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

Yeah I have been through cycling. The tank cycled in a week and the ammonia and nitrite levels have been at 0 for a week and a half.

Thanks for all your help,

Is romaine lettuce a lax as well?