Black comets :)

Bluefish

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted so hello :) I have a LFS near me called Lucky Aquarium- they have a good goldfish section, koi and plecos too. This week I popped in to take a look- they had some "Japanese black comets" for sale. So pretty- anyone seen these before? I wonder how long the black stays though. These guys were 4-5 inches body length and were in with some koi and wakins.

Too bad I don't have space for one, was really tempted though!

Some (blurry) pics from my phone (very fast swimmers)

Photo0339_zps0cd15389.jpg

Photo0336_zpsb533c1bb.jpg

Photo0335_zps617c0bd1.jpg

Photo0333_zps5f2f4e7b.jpg

Looks like a comet/koi hybrid, to me. If that's the case, it should stay black. They are usually sterile, though, so he gene would die with them. Very pretty, nonetheless!

I was wondering about this too. They don't look quite like either/or.

Those are my DREAM fish! I'd love to have a black comet one day. *sigh* Maybe one day I'll find a LFS that gets rare babies like this.

As already said, "black comet" usually refers to a goldfish/koi hybrid. These are not aquarium fish. They get very big and I've read that they are not very tame. There are, however, "midnight shubunkin" that can be close to all black. They are beautiful and quite pricey.

Looks like a comet/koi hybrid, to me. If that's the case, it should stay black. They are usually sterile, though, so he gene would die with them. Very pretty, nonetheless!

Correct, they are usually koi hybrids. They are very beautiful but grow way too big for an aquarium. If I remember right they also are sterile.

EDIT: Didn't even see shakaho's post :rofl

But yes, midnight shubunkins are beautiful if you want a fish with much black! They are rather difficult to find and then expensive, unless you have a seller that does not know what he got there.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Its good to know the black will probably stay. Some at the store had a hint of orange underneath the black while others had more of a solid black, so wonder if diet and lighting will cause the colour to change as well.

How can we tell they are koi/goldfish hybrids- is it the body shape?

Its a shame they may outgrow aquariums- they would make awesome pond fish though- and its cool to see some members here have some of their own. :D

Its good to know the black will probably stay. Some at the store had a hint of orange underneath the black while others had more of a solid black, so wonder if diet and lighting will cause the colour to change as well.

How can we tell they are koi/goldfish hybrids- is it the body shape?

Its a shame they may outgrow aquariums- they would make awesome pond fish though- and its cool to see some members here have some of their own. :D

There are a lot of different markers that point toward comet/koi hybrid... mostly, the shape of the head and eyes, for me, anyways. See how his face goes pretty pointy in the front, tapering down sharply to his mouth and making a wedge, and then has high set, pronounced eyes? That= koi face. The shape of the fins is also more going toward koi than comet, at least on the guy in the first pic. Hard to explain exactly what I mean, there, but they have differently shaped fins. Body shape is also somewhere between koi and comet, and the lack of barbels on the mouth points to a goldfish cross.

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm not bringing up too an old thread, but I'm so glad I came across this! I have a black common as you can see in my photo and I've always wondered why she had slightly popped out eyes and a different shaped face to most other single tailed (We all thought she looked like a shark when we first got her, though she has somewhat out grown that). Well this explains it all, very interested to hear :)

This may explain why she is not all that friendly either. Glad to see some Clementine look a likes in this thread hehe :)

My Clementine is also a matte goldfish, not shiny like most other fishies I see.

Edited by Andrea