Sign in to follow this  
Sssandy

How many pellets is 0.1 gram of Hikari Lion Head sinking pellets

Can anybody tell me how many Hikari Lion Head pellets are in 0.1 gram.

I feed my Oranda, Leo, Hikari Lion Head sinking pellets (the small kind)

I am trying to figure out if I am feeding him the right amount of food.

I read on this forum that one of the most accurate ways to figure this out is to feed them 1% of their body weight.

Leo weighs in at about 30 grams according to my food scale, so according to the perscription he would need to be fed 0.3 grams of food.

Unfortunately, my food scale is not very accurate at the 1 gram level, let alone 1/10 of a gram.

Can anybody help?

We have been feeding Leo 4 pellets 2-3 times a day. Pretty sure he could eat much more than that in 2 minutes. Water parameters are good. Does that sound like enough?

Thanks,

Sandra and (potentially hungry) Leo

Feeding 1% of body wIeight is recomended when your feeding medicated food. I think someone else might be able to give you a more accurate answer on whether or not your feeding enough, but it sounds pretty good to me. Then again, what the heck do I know?? :krazy: I am pretty certain that the 1% is only medicated food. good luck. :)

I think that sounds about right :) remember that goldfish will continue to eat even after they are "full" and have received all of the nutritional value from the food. Be careful not to overfeed, even if your fish is acting like he's starving.

Feeding less is actually better, they may grow slower but will live longer and be healthier overall. The only time I give a little extra is when I'm feeding bloodworms or Repashy Soilent Green gel food, since both are so easy to digest. :)

You can buy small scales to figure out exactly how much 0.3 grams is with your food, I bought one off of Amazon.com for about $10.00 and it works great. You can get them at smoke shops too. :teehee

I weighed out 1% once which is .10 grams on my scale which does 10ths for my two fish whose weight adds up to about 100g total. It was WAY too much. Are the lionhead as small as the fancy goldfish food? If so I could weigh it for you, 12-15 pellets a day seems about right, not sure I'd go less if they are as small as mine, which are super small, they plump up with water though. In addition are you feeding veggies? they shouldn't be counted as part of the 1%. I always feed seaweed along with their meals, and for a long time did peas and green beans but it attributed to their overall floatiness. Spinach is good too if they will eat it (mine won't for some reason even when I microwave it and make it super soft).

Edit: I wanted to add also that you can tell a little by looking at your fish. Does it look thin? Do the sides stick out some with a slight roundness? Some of this is breed but when I got my latest fish Arwen (below) she seemed really skinny to me, totally flat sides etc. This is subjective of course but I think helps you figure out if you are acually starving them which I think is pretty hard to do :)

Edited by cmclien

Feeding 1% of body wIeight is recomended when your feeding medicated food. I think someone else might be able to give you a more accurate answer on whether or not your feeding enough, but it sounds pretty good to me. Then again, what the heck do I know?? :krazy: I am pretty certain that the 1% is only medicated food. good luck. :)

:exactly

For regular feedings, I would not go any higher than 0.75%, and mostly likely would stick to 0.5%. Those pellets are very nutrient dense, and could be hard to push through. I would then add other things to the diet, like veggies or Repashy soilent green.

For those of you who have already had experience feeding the 1% medicated food, you saw how incredibly quickly the fish gained weight on that amount, so you most certainly do not need to feed that much for growth. Even half that is plenty. The only reason why we go with 1% when medicating is to make sure that we have the right amount of meds in the tissues.

:exactly

For regular feedings, I would not go any higher than 0.75%, and mostly likely would stick to 0.5%. Those pellets are very nutrient dense, and could be hard to push through. I would then add other things to the diet, like veggies or Repashy soilent green.

For those of you who have already had experience feeding the 1% medicated food, you saw how incredibly quickly the fish gained weight on that amount, so you most certainly do not need to feed that much for growth. Even half that is plenty. The only reason why we go with 1% when medicating is to make sure that we have the right amount of meds in the tissues.

Absolutely! When feeding nutrient dense food, I think 0.5% - 0.75% is a good number. I remember feeding 1% of MMs to a couple fish and they got very fat within two weeks.

Being the one that preaches about variety (even when feeding SG - sorry Alex :rofl ) being important in a goldfish's diet, I'd go with 0.5% in (dry) pellets, and then add fresh or frozen (blanched) veggies and protein, such as thawed blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Feeding gel food in addition will also be a nice thing to do :)

Or even other things, like when I cook and make (not breaded, of course) fish, I will cook a Quarter sized piece separate and feed it to the fish as snack.

Sometimes grocery stores will sell small amounts (like a dozen) frozen shrimp. I like getting those, and then every once in a while I cook one shrimp, peel it (if needed), chop it up and feed it to the fish. They love it!

Most of the time when I use fresh or frozen veggies such as peas, spinach, collard greens, green beans, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers etc, I will also prepare a tiny bit for the fish.

Just be careful with things like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc, as these can make the fish gassy and floaty. Pretty much anything that is known to give people gas, can cause buoyancy problems in fish.

Carrots are supposed to be difficult to digest, and none of my fish (including the pleco!!) dislikes it, not matter how soft I cook it.

Even small bits of fruit are fine for them. They are a nice treat but should be used sparsely because of the sugar content. Mine love sweet citrus fruit such as oranges, tangerines, mineolas, as well as (straw)berries. Fruit I feed once a month at the most though.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is 0.5% of body weight in dry pellets, and then you can add any of the above. Veggies naturally don't add many calories but are good for their digestive system, so you can always provide veggies in addition to the pellets.

Additional protein (blood worms or fish or shrimp etc) I provide once daily or once every two days.

Being the one that preaches about variety (even when feeding SG - sorry Alex :rofl ) being important in a goldfish's diet, I'd go with 0.5% in (dry) pellets, and then add fresh or frozen (blanched) veggies and protein, such as thawed blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Feeding gel food in addition will also be a nice thing to do :)

:rofl

I don't have a problem with variety, when the varieties all contribute to the larger picture of complete nutrition. All of what you feed are considered excellent for goldfish, and while it is certainly more than blocks of SG daily, I don't necessarily consider it variety, but more of a good menu., even the once a month fruit :P

What I have been trying to say in the threads is that we have to understand the concept of variety, and why. For us humans, we rely on a variety of food to give us many different tastes and most importantly, to deliver a complete nutrition. For the fish, if they already have complete nutrition in their foods, then there really isn't a need to reach for other varied things, especially if too much of those other things can cause issues down the line.

For example, I feed my fish Pro-Gold and SG. This is their staple, but they also get a 3-4 meals of bloodworms weekly, and when I remember, some orange. I don't give them veggies much anymore, because soilent green does a much better job of giving them what they need.

I think that supplementing with veggies is great, but certain things need to be kept in mind. Some veggies are not useful, and some can be problematic. For example, take peas. A lot of us use it, but as Steve Hopkins wrote, peas aren't really in the best interest for the goldfish.

So, as with all things, my anti-variety comments are meant as a first step to ensure complete nutrition. Then, once you are firm footing with that (which you have been for quite some time), then adding different things as you do makes it fun for the keeper and the fish, I dare say. :)

That is good to know that peas are problematic! I feed peas like every 2-3 weeks when I make some for dinner. I personally would like to have them more often but the husband dislikes peas. So it's usually other veggies, and cucumbers are a staple in my house because I simply love cucumber salad. So that is something they get a lot, and it keeps them entertained for a day or two.

I absolutely understand what you are saying about the SG and I agree! But at the same time it is like having your dog on a great staple dry dog food (like Blue Buffalo) but still adding some extra stuff. I know my guys (seem to) love to literally tear into a piece of veggie and pulling on it like maniacs, or trying to chase down a floating slice of cucumber/zucchini.

If I was to feed only one kind of food to my fish for the rest of their life it definitely would be SG. But as long as I can "supplement" for the fish's entertainment (and mine, honestly) I like to "balance it out" with extra veggies and protein :)

EDIT: Spelling is not my strength today :doh11:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That is good to know that peas are problematic! I feed peas like every 2-3 weeks when I make some for dinner. I personally would like to have them more often but the husband dislikes peas. So it's usually other veggies, and cucumbers are a staple in my house because I simply love cucumber salad. So that is something they get a lot, and it keeps them entertained for a day or two.

I absolutely understand what you are saying about the SG and I agree! But at the same time it is like having your dog on a great staple dry dog food (like Blue Buffalo) but still adding some extra stuff. I know my guys (seem to) love to literally tear into a piece of veggie and pulling on it like maniacs, or trying to chase down a floating slice of cucumber/zucchini.

If I was to feed only one kind of food to my fish for the rest of their life it definitely would be SG. But as long as I can "supplement" for the fish's entertainment (and mine, honestly) I like to "balance it out" with extra veggies and protein :)

Anyone who has seen your fish clearly knows that what you are doing certainly has been working, and very well at that! :)

I have to confess that because I myself hate peas, I am Zealot Number 1 when it comes to proselytizing against this evil thing :rofl. However, in Steve Hopkin's excellent article on food, this is what he says

Peas, squash and other fruiting parts of plants are often fed to goldfish. Peas have quite a bit of protein and, personally, I would prefer that the goldfish get their protein from fish meal or other aquatic sources. Squash have little protein or fat, but the fiber content is lower than leafy green vegetables. Oranges have low protein and fat, are high in fiber, but are also very acidic. If some of these work for you then go with it.

http://www.raingarden.us/feeding.pdf

Oops, you quoted the same thing I did.

I don't see how that is a condemnation of peas particularly the "go with it" part.

Edited by shakaho

I just find it shocking that Fang eats peas 2-3 times per week herself. :yikes

So if I was feeding 6-8 pellets of MMs per day to my fish, he should only get 3-4 of ProGold? That doesn't seem like very much . . . :idont

Oops, you quoted the same thing I did.

I don't see how that is a condemnation of peas particularly the "go with it" part.

Shakaho, I don't know that anyone is condemning peas (I am personally against my having to eat them, yes :rofl), but as Steve indicated, it's not a preferred food, I guess. I don't actively discourage people from feeding their fish peas, and sometimes I actually suggest it, but I think there are better things. :)

I just find it shocking that Fang eats peas 2-3 times per week herself. :yikes

So if I was feeding 6-8 pellets of MMs per day to my fish, he should only get 3-4 of ProGold? That doesn't seem like very much . . . :idont

PEAS ARE SO AWESOME!!! :rofl2 One of my favorite veggies! I love them even when just plain boiled with a tad of parsley. yum yum yum!!

(I don't understand how anyone can dislike them :rofl )

I will stop posting in here because this topic is already going downhill :lol

I think peas are very excellent for ridding constipation (and green beans too) but as a daily diet they made my fish more floaty then normal. But if one of them gets constipated and is bottom sitting, a few peas gets them going again in both respects :P

And I have to say I am a seaweed convert now. It has totally eliminated constipation in Bing who has always had issues. He actually goes like a "normal" fish now. I like spinach too for him but he spits it out!

Edited by cmclien

When I fed M&M's it was the only food I fed and it was an amazingly large amount of them. I think I had to give Bing up to 35 of them a day! He weighed about 75g at that time but even for him that was a ton of food. The good part is, for whatever reason, the medicine or something in them prevents floatiness even though they are a pellet food. I felt like he put on weight eating them, he's back to his trim self now HA HA

Edited by cmclien

PEAS ARE SO AWESOME!!! :rofl2 One of my favorite veggies! I love them even when just plain boiled with a tad of parsley. yum yum yum!!

(I don't understand how anyone can dislike them )

I just have to say the smell of peas and green beans makes me want to throw up! I'm not kidding, I think my mother force fed them to me when I was little or something lol.

I would sneak them to my dog under the table :rofl

Edited by cmclien

Cindi, I've explained this in other threads.

Floatiness many times is cause by fermenting bacteria processing commercialized food, and producing too much gas in the digestive tract. Since Metro-Meds kills off all these bacteria, there is no gas produced. No gas = no float. :)

Wow! Who knew this would be such a popular thread with such a diverse range of topics. ;)

Thank you to everybody who has provided their thoughts it has been both informational and amusing.

I failed to mention that I also feed Leo frozen food 2X/week and veggies or fruit most days.

Since he is growing I just wanted to stay on top of how many pellets he should be getting. Sounds like he's not gonna starve any time soon despite his efforts to convince me otherwise.

Soilent Green not only has an awesome name, but also sounds like an excellent nutrition idea. My only concern is that........ *whispers* "Soilent Green is made of..........people!" :yikes

We joke all the time about that! :rofl

How have you been, by the way? I remember that you are my birthday buddy! :D