Goldfish assisted births?

Smurfishy

You read that right! A woman had a koi assisted birth in her inside above ground pond with her koi present. I figured this could of been goldies instead. What you think, cool, gross, harmful for either person or fish? The woman is going to disinfect the tank with "Potassium Permanganate treatement in early labor. We’ll have to pull the plants out, but it sterilizes the water and the fish, then you neutralize it with hydrogen peroxide, another anti-microbial"s I saw this and just had to post! Move if wrong area please.

http://koibirth.blogspot.com/

Very dangerous and incredibly stupid. And I'm probably the least germophobic person here. As Alex said, there is no way you can sterilize water and sterilize fish. The midwife must be very poorly educated to go along with this.

There are rumors that it is a prank but no definite proof. I'm on the fence, native peoples through out time have birthed in rivers, lakes, ponds and oceans. However there was a much LARGER base of water. You would need to do a large water change after that!! lol

The infant mortality rate during those times were also quite high.

Of course not every birth done that way will result in death, or even a mild infection. However, I am pretty certain that we would want to minimize as much risks as we can for our newborns.

I see no real advantage in doing something like this. Surely there are safer ways to help the mother deliver the birth of her baby?

There are rumors that it is a prank but no definite proof. I'm on the fence, native peoples through out time have birthed in rivers, lakes, ponds and oceans. However there was a much LARGER base of water. You would need to do a large water change after that!! lol

I think it is a prank. Underwater births are not unusual or dangerous, but it makes no sense whatsoever to put fish in the water.

This is awful. I'm all for water births and plan to have one when I decide to have children, but this is terrible, for both the baby and the fish!

How long does the baby stay under water?

Well, I plan to let the koi guide him up to me. But Shane will be standing by with a net, just in case.

Seriously? lol

Edited by sarajo

If this is true, it's crazy! I mean, I love my fish but .. why would you want to give birth like that? It can't be good for anyone (fish included) involved.

Normally I agree with 'each to their own' but this just doesn't sound safe.