Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Filter Troubles (Not a huge emergency)

In my 29 gallon, I have a black moor and a fantail. They have a Top Fin 30 power filter and I'm going to buy them another one soon. Anyways, I've read about using your own media instead of just the basic carbon that comes in filter cartridges. So, I made a slit in mine and removed the carbon. Then I used cotton from the inside of a pillow as a mechanical/biological stage, and plastic straws cut up into very small pieces as another biological stage, plus a little gravel for another biological stage.

Anyways, my filter was rattling so I went to place the lid on right. So I opened it up and took a look inside. I moved the cartridge up and lots of brown gook started flowing into the tank in stringy lengths. So I slid the cartridge back down and tried to remove most of it with a net. But my fantail ate a couple pieces. They were about ½" long.

If I slide the cartridge down, the water doesn't make it through the cartridge and overflows out near the intake tube and just falls back into the tank.

Right now I have the filter turned off.

So, what should I do?? I think I should remove some of the filter media so it's more passable and won't overflow.

So, what should I do?? I think I should remove some of the filter media so it's more passable and won't overflow.

This, and time to rinse your media in some dechlorinated water.

This, and time to rinse your media in some dechlorinated water.

I rinsed it really good and removed some of the media. It's still happening, I've tried adjusting the cartridge up/down but every time I turn it on, it spews out this brown gook all over. Should I just leave the filter off overnight until I can buy a new cartridge at the pet store tomorrow?

I don't know that's such a good idea. Take some more media out.

I agree, even if you're just down to floss when you go to bed I would think having the filtration is way better then none ;)

Have you actually rinsed out the filter itself? When was the last time this filter was rinsed out with tank water? Maybe there is alot of gunk at the bottom that is being forced through your media?

I agree, even if you're just down to floss when you go to bed I would think having the filtration is way better then none ;)

Have you actually rinsed out the filter itself? When was the last time this filter was rinsed out with tank water? Maybe there is alot of gunk at the bottom that is being forced through your media?

I rinsed their filter out completely but now their filter won't work at all.. No noise or anything.

Yup probably need to jumpstart the impeller.

take off the whole filter and wash its if you have time

:bingo:

You should every once in a while, take the whole filter down dumb the water out of it, wipe the walls down in the filter and then put it back up. Its just a build up in the bottom of the filter. Mine gets that way once in a while :)

take off the whole filter and wash its if you have time

:bingo:

You should every once in a while, take the whole filter down dumb the water out of it, wipe the walls down in the filter and then put it back up. Its just a build up in the bottom of the filter. Mine gets that way once in a while :)

mine gets that all the time even if i dont need to lol i just feels that if its dirty it doesn't work as well lol

Something that concerns me is the pillow fluffing as media. I really don't see it catching the debris very well. It holds more water than it allows it to pass through, and breaks down quickly. I'm concerned of the pillow fluff breaking down and getting stuck in your impeller as well. A better choice would be quilt batting. Unlike pillow fluff, it is more solid (as it is slightly woven together) and doesn't take to breaking down as quickly. Rite Size filter pads work well too, and they're also pretty cheap.

My :twocents... :)