Sign in to follow this  
great_kahn

How much spinach can a small ranchu eat before exploding?

Thunder chunk has been pulling apart blanched spinach for 4 hours now, he has eaten 3 leaves that are the same size as him. Do they stop eating when there full? Or can they just eat continuously?

The My smaller oranda has had a few bits, but doesnt seem strong enough to rip bits off yet, and im not sure he likes it as much.

eat continuously just have to say when to stop them lol

They should stop when they are full, but I think we should help them to regulate the amount of food they take in at any one time.

Don't be surprised that after this he won't eat for a day or two.

They won't stop until you make them, as they have no stomachs to tell them when they're full. That's why we advocate to regulate feeding for them so much. :) I think maybe he's had enough, though, if the leaves were that big!

[lol I was sniped!]

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

They WILL eat until they explode. 6-year-old me learned this after dumping a whole bottle of flakes into the tank to make sure they had enough to eat while we were gone on vacation and came back to 20+ exploded feeders.

They WILL eat until they explode. 6-year-old me learned this after dumping a whole bottle of flakes into the tank to make sure they had enough to eat while we were gone on vacation and came back to 20+ exploded feeders.

It could have been a water quality issue caused by the amount of flakes in the water for an extended time, I don't think they would have eaten them all at once.

Might just add two leaves instead of four in future. Amazing how strong he is lol, he is proper tearing into like a gator. He has stopped eating it now and gone back to gravel sifting.

It could have been a water quality issue caused by the amount of flakes in the water for an extended time, I don't think they would have eaten them all at once.

I don't think a water quality issue would have caused their stomachs to rip straight open and spill out their intestines. :blink:

Might just add two leaves instead of four in future. Amazing how strong he is lol, he is proper tearing into like a gator. He has stopped eating it now and gone back to gravel sifting.

That's probably a good idea. ;) It's good that he's getting so big and strong though, and has a healthy appetite! :D

I actually only feed my fish one leaf per fish, with the leaf being the same standard length as the fish.

With soilent green, I have not found the need to feed other veggies, except for the very rare occasion, just for fun. :)

I don't think a water quality issue would have caused their stomachs to rip straight open and spill out their intestines. :blink:

Dropsy can do that, if it is combined with overfeeding.

I actually only feed my fish one leaf per fish, with the leaf being the same standard length as the fish.

With soilent green, I have not found the need to feed other veggies, except for the very rare occasion, just for fun. :)

Seems good exercise for them lol. Makes them work for the food rather than just sucking in a block.

Dropsy can do that, if it is combined with overfeeding.

Well, I was six, so I have no idea if they had dropsy or not. I had won like 25 feeder goldies from an easter egg hunt and that's how they all died after a weekend long vacation. :idont

I think this is a very good guideline GK. :) If you're worried about exercise with soilent green, once in a while I do a trick recommended to my by Oerba Yun Fang, where you spread SG over the rough side of a ceramic tie (like 16 cents at a store like Lowe's or Home Depot) and let it set on there. That way they can graze on it, and have to rip it off. It's pretty fun to watch and everyone can get their fair share that way. You can get a bigger or smaller tile depending on how many fish you have. I try for a square inch per fish this way, so I use 4x4 tiles for my 4 fish, and it's spread 1/4-1/2 an inch thick. :)

Interesting idea! Sounds fun.

Im confiscating the spinach for now, he is still eating.

What do they do in the outdoor ponds is asia where they breed them, they must have an unlimited supply of food in the form of algae etc.

What do they do in the outdoor ponds is asia where they breed them, they must have an unlimited supply of food in the form of algae etc.

They eat until they are full, and they eat again. :)

There is actually a rather robust feedback mechanism to control appetite in fish. One of these may involve a peptide called cholecystokinin.

If you've had fish that are constipated, you will have observed that they won't eat until they've voided some of their bowel contents.

LOL Just had a visual of you pulling the spinach out and he's dangling from it like a trout on a hook. :D

They eat until they are full, and they eat again. :)

There is actually a rather robust feedback mechanism to control appetite in fish. One of these may involve a peptide called cholecystokinin.

If you've had fish that are constipated, you will have observed that they won't eat until they've voided some of their bowel contents.

Don't think I've had that problem touch wood. They seem to eat everytime food goes in and there is always plenty of waste to vac out.

How long should poop be in terms of the length of the fish?

LOL Just had a visual of you pulling the spinach out and he's dangling from it like a trout on a hook. :D

Give it another year and I reckon he would have me in the tank river monsters style.

This is a tough question to answer, but in general:

1. If the poop is too thick, there is some amount of constipation.

2. If the poop is too long, you've been overfeeding.

3. Normal "regular" poop should only be around 1-2 cm, if that long.

This is a tough question to answer, but in general:

1. If the poop is too thick, there is some amount of constipation.

2. If the poop is too long, you've been overfeeding.

3. Normal "regular" poop should only be around 1-2 cm, if that long.

Ok thats cool. Think we have regular green poop on the way out lol. Oh joy.

Pond goldfish eat algae all day long. Algae is much more nutrient dense than spinach, which is mostly water and fiber -- a laxative. I don't think you could overfeed spinach unless you put in so much the water turned green.

Pond goldfish eat algae all day long. Algae is much more nutrient dense than spinach, which is mostly water and fiber -- a laxative. I don't think you could overfeed spinach unless you put in so much the water turned green.

Might try a plec algae wafer, see if they like those. I just know whatever I put it they will just eat in one go lol.

Well lets all agree not to over feed your fish... :o

Well lets all agree not to over feed your fish... :o

Going for the 2 min rule on other foods. I was hoping they would graze on the spinach during the day. Epic fail lol.

Thunder chunk

I'm sorry, this is off topic, but for that name you win forever.

Thunder Chunky forever.

Thunder chunk

I'm sorry, this is off topic, but for that name you win forever.

Thunder Chunky forever.

Yeah I chuckle every time I see that :)

Edited by smegypsiren