Sign in to follow this  
usmgp1

Moving eggs

Okay my fantail has finished laying her eggs and since I did not know she was ready to spawn I have eggs all over my an area of my tank. When I saw them spawnning I put in a bredding mop but now I havea problerm with wether I should move the mop to a smalle tank with less water in it or just leave it alone in the 55 gallon that the fancies are in and just put up a divider. Can the ggs be moved safely or is it a bad idea? ARGGH!

best is to seperate adults from the eggs, move the eggs or move the fish . both ways will work just fine.

The eggs can be safely moved. It's better to have them in a smaller tank, it will be easier to feed and watch them. The best food you can give the fry is newly hatched brine shrimp.

I assume the temperature of the water should remain at the same as the main tank where the eggs were laid?

I moved my eggs to different temperature tanks and didn't seem to have an effect. They all hatched just fine. That said..I don't think the tanks had a HUGE difference in temps though.

I start my fry off in cold water like their parents and then when they get a bit older warm the water to 76 because the fry are prone to flukes and this helps. Some even prazi the fry. I haven't yet but I will and I've heard it really helps.

I moved my eggs to a smaller tank with a water level of about 5 inches. I set my heater to 76 degrees and they hatched fine. Keeping the water below 6 inches helps the fry swim to the surface to fill their air bladders. Some folks have been fine with higher water levels though.