Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Aqueon Water Changer?

I am finally investing in buying a 25-ft Aqueon Water Changer after many months of carrying buckets full of water across the carpeted floor and countless times spilling it over the carpet. This is going to be a Christmas gift for me, but what do you think about it? And where did you find the best deal on the product? Amazon has it for $30.

I got mine on sale at Petsmart. I love it. It was the best thing I ever bought for this hobby. It makes water changes sooooo much easier.

I have one, and I love it to bits! My 40 gallon gets 80% water changes once a week and it helps so much! Remember, though, to make sure the end of the siphon is covered with some mesh or netting so your fish don't get injured. ;)

I bought my Python yeeeears ago from Big Al's online but I would suspect amazon is cheaper. . . .

You will not regret this purchase!! :)

I read a lot of reviews about the aqueon one breaking and that the hose is a bit stiff, so I went with a python which seems to last about 3 years before people reported needing to replace it. I got mine on Amazon and paid about 35 for it, and they even upgraded the connector to a brass adapter instead of the standard plastic one which can become stripped with frequent use. I had a bit of trouble with my faucet since it's a pull out one, but once I figured it out I was THRILLED with the python. I have a 60 gal and like you got extremely sick of all the dumping water.

Happy holidays!

Hmm lets see i bought an aqueon water changer and 3 months later the nozzle broke. So after that i decided to try Aqueon again, and can you guess what happened? The first time i use it I find out that the lever used to change the water flow on and off is broken. I had a horrible experience with this product. If i were you I would go for the python water changer. it is a great water changer and is 100 times more reliable than the Aqueon water changer. Also, another thing i found out is that the plastic part that connects to your sink wears away very quickly.Both of My Aqueon water changers leaked out the back where the nozzle connects to your sink. thats my experience with the Aqueon water changer. I hope it helps you:)

I have an aqueon, and it makes water changes so much easier. Ive had no problems with it, however I had to get a new adapter to fit to my sink at a hardware store for about $3. I definitely recommend getting one :)

I also have an aqueon. I love it. I too had to adjust my sinks nozzle, but it has worked fine so far. I have had it for about 2 months, and no problems. It was a pain to get set up though. I could not for the life of me get the hose onto one of the nozzles so I could thread a ring and secure it to the rest of the attachment. I did get it eventually and it is on there super tightly. I believe I got mine on amazon for 24 dollars.

I have a Python that I have had for at least 7-8 years now. A water changer is the single best investment you can make in this hobby.

(I see people complaining about the sink connector part wearing out, mine has a metal one and I've never had an issue with it. I would for sure get one with a metal connector if you can, as plastic is not a good choice for that part.)

I have the aqueon, and I got it on amazon. I absolutely love it.

If you have to eventually replace the sink part--big deal. :) The water changer makes w/c's SO easy. After using one for a few times, you won't be able to imagine how you ever lived without one.

I was just thinking about this last weekend. I actually have both, and I prefer the python. It has a wider diameter hose and (mine, at least) doesn't kink at the nozzle like the (new) Aqueon did the very first time I used it (though over time, I have had the python hose kink, but not at the nozzle). I guess because of the wider hose, I also find the python flow to be a bit faster. On the other hand, the sink mechanism on the aqueon seems easier to use (turn a lever instead of twisting the ring) and doesn't drip like the python does from the sink attachment when you are putting water in the tank. I just went over and pressed on the hose of each, and the python, of the two is a sturdier/less easy to press in on. In contract, it is easier to loop the Aqueon for storage as it is more maleable. I got the Aqueon this time as it is cheaper, and it looks better, I think, but from now on it is the python for me because of the hose thickness. Plus, the python is made in the USA, while the Aqueon is made in China.

Edited by spillie

I have a Python that I have had for at least 7-8 years now. A water changer is the single best investment you can make in this hobby.

(I see people complaining about the sink connector part wearing out, mine has a metal one and I've never had an issue with it. I would for sure get one with a metal connector if you can, as plastic is not a good choice for that part.)

Totally agree--the plastic strips easily, and if you get the quick-connect metal accesory, it is very easy to attach/detach. You can order this directly from the company that makes the python by going to the website, printing the order form, and mailing (I don't think you can order online). I have ordered a few things from them over time.

When I got my water changer just over a year ago, the Pythons were not available. I would have bought one instead of the Aqueon. I do love my Aqueon, but the first valve broke within three months. The company sent me a new one by express mail, and I haven't had any problems since.

Another thing to consider is that the Aqueon (and the Python, I assume) uses water pressure to drain the tank. You hook the water changer to the faucet and run the faucet to create the suction that draws the water from the tank. This method wastes a lot of water, and it won't work if you have low water pressure. You can get the siphon started and use gravity, or you can add a pond pump for draining. I recently got a pump, and it drains the tank faster than gravity, and it's easy to use. I got this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html

Another option is the Marina aquavac. This is what I have. I actually bought just the sink attachment parts on Amazon and then got my own hose at the hardware store. This ended up being MUCH cheaper than any of the other options.

The thing I like about the Marina one is that the part that attaches to the sink is metal, so it is unlikely to wear out like the plastic ones do.

I have an aqueon and I like it alot. These days if I use it, its only for draining as I can't use the water from the tap. While I was cycling though, I used my tap and I used it everyday. Here are a few suggestions if you get it:

1. Cover the intake tube with mesh, you can find a cheap clothing laundry bag for a buck at walmart and cut that and rubberband it on, it lets the debris come through.

2. Order a replacement faucet part from Amazon to have on hand as soon as you get this one, they are only a few dollars, because it WILL break after a few months of use. Keep it on the faucet on all the time. Don't take it on and off everyday or it will break faster and don't over tighten it.

3. Better yet, take your aqueon to the hardware store and you can buy a metal faucet attachment that will fit as they are standard garden hose size and then will never break.

4. To conserve water you can start the flow with your faucet and then turn off the faucet. It will keep draining by siphon albeit a little slower or what I do is unscrew it from the sink and place it into the tub and then it drains really fast by siphon alone.

I've never had a python so I can't comment on it. I do like the valves on the aqueon, they make it easy to go in both directions.

Edited by cmclien

For those who have used either a python or aqueon for a long time, how long did it last for you until a part break? And which is better?

I've had mine for months and it hasn't broken yet. (knock on wood) I have just the plain plastic piece.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

I've had mine for 3.5 years.

Hmm lets see i bought an aqueon water changer and 3 months later the nozzle broke. So after that i decided to try Aqueon again, and can you guess what happened? The first time i use it I find out that the lever used to change the water flow on and off is broken. I had a horrible experience with this product. If i were you I would go for the python water changer. it is a great water changer and is 100 times more reliable than the Aqueon water changer. Also, another thing i found out is that the plastic part that connects to your sink wears away very quickly.Both of My Aqueon water changers leaked out the back where the nozzle connects to your sink. thats my experience with the Aqueon water changer. I hope it helps you:)

I had a friend that had the same problems... I have a Python and never had a problem :o