Cloudy water from tap

kerry123

I'm treating my fish for dropsy in a plastic tub with heater and air pump, but no filter. I'm doing 100% wc daily and adding prime and Epsom salt.

Today while doing the wc, I found the water from the tap is really cloudy, I don't know why but it never happened before. So I tested the tap water and results are 0 nitrite but 0.25ppm ammonia(usually its 0 ammonia)

But because I don't have filter for the plastic tub, there isn't any bacteria to balance out the ammonia, so I'm wondering if I should double dose prime.

We also don't have any other water source...

A regular dose of prime will detoxify up to 1.0ppm of ammonia for at least 24 hours, so you should be fine even with the normal dose. A double dose will surely not hurt the fish :)

I would try to find out though what's going on with your tap water. Maybe give the water company for your area a call?

• Admin

? for you are you using the hot water out of your tap ? when your getting water, if so hot water will have more mineral content in it, thus coming out more cloudy than cold water.

Let the cold water run for a few minutes. As koko was saying there might be some left over from your hot water heater in the pipes. Hot Water Heaters have their own eco system....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You might also try setting it out in a bucket or buckets for a while... sometimes my tap water comes out really bubbly and if the bubbles are small enough it looks more like it's cloudy than anything.

• Admin

Let the cold water run for a few minutes. As koko was saying there might be some left over from your hot water heater in the pipes. Hot Water Heaters have their own eco system....

Yup I just did a water change and had Micro bubbles in my water :(

I have the micro bubbles too because in winter I have to mix hot and cold water to refill the tanks.

Due to our pipes being only like a foot and a half below the ground, the cold tap water temperature in summer is 94F and in winter in the low 50s. Because of that, I use part hot water and the more I use, the more micro bubbles are in the tank during filling. They go away within a few minutes though.

Thanks for all the reply. I use a mix of hot and cold water to get the water to approx 24degree Celsius(which I do everytime during wc but never had a prob). But I had let the water run for almost 5 minutes and I also re-change the water after I found it to be so cloudy, but that didnt work. So I wait for about 15 minutes then tried refilling again which didn't work aswell. So I decide to just use that with double dose of prime.

Hopefully the water will be normal today or I'll check with my council.

Thanks for the help!

I have the temperature problem too sometimes either too hot or cold depending on time of year. I ended up getting ten buckets and I fill them with cold til they reach ambient temp. But that won't help much if you keep the tank warmer than house. Then a spare heater might be good.