My Boyfriend's New Planted Tank

Ms.Jenny

Hi everyone! :)

So after years of my boyfriend constantly telling me how crazy I am for dedicating so much time to my fish, he decided he wanted his own tank! :teehee

He wanted to do a high tech planted tank and keep a little school of Tiger Barbs. We picked up a 15 gallon rimless tank from a LFS (we painted the back blackish/grey), and he bought the new Marineland Aquatic Plant LED along with a Fluval 88g CO2 kit. We're also using a Fluval C2 filter which I have already fully cycled on my goldy tank. :)

For plants he chose Micro Sword, Pygmy Chain Sword, and Small Amazon Sword. We used Eco-Complete as the substrate and found some pretty granite rocks at a local landscaping supply yard.

It's been a slow process, but we pretty much finished everything up tonight! All that's left is making sure the cycle held before adding in his six Barbs that we've had in a 10 gallon QT tank for almost a month now. We both really like how everything turned out. It'll be fun watching the plants grow in! :)

Here is a picture of the finished setup, hope you all enjoy!

55F62B6F-C996-4EF4-BC99-BA835CA8046B-4545-000013551EDC8365.jpg

Very nice!! I will also be interested to hear how the micro swords go - I had these initially in my betta tank and found that while they were pretty hardy and didn't die, they grew painfully slow in my high light, co2 injected tank. I ended up ditching them and going with dwarf hair grass which spread much more quickly. But I hop the micro sword works out! It's a really cool plant :)

Very beautiful. Good job you two! Team work!

Haha, thank you! He made all the decisions, I just helped out with recomendations here and there since he's never had any sort of aquarium before. :)

Oooooo pretty. More pics after barbs, please! :D

Thank you! I'll be sure to post updated pics in a few days once they are added. :)

Pretty! Keep us posted as it grows in, please. :)

Thank you Fang! We definitely will, I keep trying to get him to make his own account here so he can post updates and whatnot, but idk if he will. He's kinda shy lol. :)

Wow, really nice and sounds like it was really well thought out :)

Thanks! It was, kinda thought out LOL. We bought the tank and I had the filter already cycling before we knew what else we were doing, but it all came together nicely. :)

That's so nice! I hope someday my bf wants his own tank... Great job =)

Thank you! I was honestly so surprised, I thought he just joking and then didn't think he would take care of it. Since we got his barbs, he's been feeding them bloodworms and peas, and changing 25/50% of their water everyday since they're in an uncycled QT and doing super well! I don't think he's going to lose interest. It's super weird to have such a pretty tank, that I just get to enjoy, no work! LOL :)

Very nice tank.

More pics with the fish, please.

Thank you! Will do! :)

Very nice! :D

Thanks LC! :)

WOW! Great job :D

Thank you Ashley!

That's beautiful, Jenny! I can't take to see the tank as it progresses! :)

Thank you Alex! Hopefully I can get him to make an account so he can post updates! If not, I will but it would be fun if he joined. :)

Looking good keep us updated

Thanks! I definitely will!

Edited by Ms.Jenny

• Supporter
I thought the same thing when I saw them. If they're the same variety, I saw one in a 55 that took up 2/3 of the tank. Good luck. :)

Very nice! :)

Thank you! :)

Very pretty! I really like it.

Thanks!! :)

that tank is stunning you two, can't wait for pics of the fish !!!

Thanks Sharkbait!! I'll post them as soon as we put them in. :)

Very nice! I love the rocks you have in there.

Look forward to seeing the barbs!

Thank you! We got the rocks for free at a local landscaping supply yard. When we went to pay for them the people laughed and said we could have them LOL. :)

Looks great! Micro-swords were an ambitious choice. They're a pain to plant. Can't wait to see updates. :)

Thank you! They were SUCH a pain to seperate and plant, and assume they will continue to be. They look pretty though and hopefully they do okay. :)

Very nice!! I will also be interested to hear how the micro swords go - I had these initially in my betta tank and found that while they were pretty hardy and didn't die, they grew painfully slow in my high light, co2 injected tank. I ended up ditching them and going with dwarf hair grass which spread much more quickly. But I hop the micro sword works out! It's a really cool plant :)

Thank you Tithra! Yeah I remember you saying that about them, I hope they do ok! We love the way they look and have heard of them doing well for some people and then not doing much for others. We'll just have to see and hope for the best!

Nice, it will look good all grown in! Beware though, those swords, if happy will dominate that tank, they get huge if they like where they are living.

Thank you! We can't wait to see it in a few months. :) We didn't get regular Amazon Sword, we got the "Tropica" Small Sword, which should grow to about six inches or so. That's one of the things I tried to help him a lot with, picking plants, since I knew some can crazy outgrow tanks and be a pain.

Edited by Ms.Jenny

Just look here and you will see!

https://www.google.c...wEqV58hu9Slp6M:

I thought the same thing when I saw them. If they're the same variety, I saw one in a 55 that took up 2/3 of the tank. Good luck. :)

They're this, http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ECHINODORUS-PARVIFLORUS-TROPICA-small-sword-parv01.htm

I hope they don't grow too big! :o I tried to make sure we picked plants that would stay small and fit in his tank.