Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

Thanks, Bristlebabies!

About a month and a half ago I got a pair of baby bristlenose plecostomuses (actually I think the proper plural is plecostomoose) from Acro. They were tiny tiny at first so I kept them in their own tank for a little while to grow out a little bit before I put them in the main tank. They grew fast, and so did the algae in the main tank that I was letting go just for them.

I moved them over to the big time last friday (just one week ago) and here are some super impressive before and after shots!

Left side before:

c12fe208486ec262597ae274c3102706.jpg

After:

ffce8da23a6cf6654e9ef272602a22d3.jpg

Right side before:

c5f004d099418efbc0b29c437ce1e6b0.jpg

After:

d767ed9e624bfb4107ba423a5c1a0dc6.jpg

Full tank before:

c113614ee2256a0ac13e69af89b834c5.jpg

After:

083739ed76f2cfe48b87fd49b1987f1a.jpg

As you can see, I had a LOT of algae built up for these little guys, and they've eaten through very nearly all of it in the course of a week! :yikes I'm actually thinking about upping my photoperiod to grow MORE algae for them. I definitely can and will feed them other things, too, but I am just so impressed by their algae consuming abilities. The little guys are only like 2 inches long right now!

(The reason there are a few algae-free things in the before pictures is I was just rotating plants between tanks for them to snack on while they were in their separate grow-out digs.)

That is awesome! Do yours eat repashy? I watched one of mine go up and pounce on a piece. His little belly was green :3

These little guys work fast don't they! :rofl

That is incredible! I am astounded by how fast they demolished the algae!

I am also extremely jealous of your green!

Wow that's fast. They are like a personal janitor minus the paycheck :lol I have a rubber nose and boy does my tank stay spotless

That is so great! Just keep in mind with all this food consumption that they also have just as much "output" as your average goldfish. Always remember this when it comes to water quality and stocking levels :)

I LOVE Bristlenose PNs!! Mine are albinos which kind are yours? (Pics?) They are great workers & rarely ever stop!! ((Give them a cave of some sort & they will make you some more!!))

They really are an amazing little fish. They are fun to watch as well. :)

Nice! I got Nerite snails a week ago, and they are not that productive, not even close.

wow that really is impressive ;) thanks for sharing :)

but I was a little disappointed with out a couple of closeups of peanut ;)

Wow they did a great job! Do you have any pics of the lads?

I had the same experience with algae. My tank gets dirrect sunlight and thus tons of algae. Within a week of adding mr bristlenose the tank was clean. He's done a better job than my applesnails.

Here's a link to a wonderful bristlenose forum. When my bristlenose was sick the forum was a big help. Plus there's ton of interesting tid bits.

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/

Here's a link to screwcumbers. I didn't want to use a fork to sink veggies - worried my Goldies fins would get torn. So I bought these. My bristlenose can be found sitting on top of the zucchini munching away.

http://www.screwcumber.com/

Holy moly! How big do they get? They did a wonderful job! :)

I think they top out in the 5-6" range. The small size is one of their selling points I think. :)

That is awesome! Do yours eat repashy? I watched one of mine go up and pounce on a piece. His little belly was green :3

These little guys work fast don't they! :rofl

Mine have eaten everything I've tried with them so far. Repashy is popular, but they seem to just like to eat. Kinda like goldfish.

That is incredible! I am astounded by how fast they demolished the algae!

I am also extremely jealous of your green!

I was quite impressed also. These guys are still tiny!

Wow, that's impressive!

I know, right?!?

Wow that's fast. They are like a personal janitor minus the paycheck :lol I have a rubber nose and boy does my tank stay spotless

This way is definitely easier than scrubbing it myself, that's for sure.

That is so great! Just keep in mind with all this food consumption that they also have just as much "output" as your average goldfish. Always remember this when it comes to water quality and stocking levels :)

I gotta say, the filters in that tank do a good job with picking up poo, but I've had both the bristlenoses and goldfish in tanks that don't, and I think the plecos poo WAAAAAAAY more. So yeah, definitely light on the stocking is the way to go! :thumb:

very impressive job on the tank !!

I shall congratulate the babies on their hard work from you. :D

I LOVE Bristlenose PNs!! Mine are albinos which kind are yours? (Pics?) They are great workers & rarely ever stop!! ((Give them a cave of some sort & they will make you some more!!))

Mine are also albinos. I will post pictures of them for sure; but I just wanted to document their industrious work in this particular thread. :)

They really are an amazing little fish. They are fun to watch as well. :)

They are fascinating. And good hiders! The trails they make nommin' through the algae are hilarious as well.

Nice! I got Nerite snails a week ago, and they are not that productive, not even close.

Nerites are nice for sure, also, but I don't think they have quite the productive digestive system these guys do so I don't think they have the capacity. But snails are appealing in their own right. I've loved the ones I've had.

wow that really is impressive ;) thanks for sharing :)

but I was a little disappointed with out a couple of closeups of peanut ;)

I need to take pictures of all of my fish actually! I plan to have a big fishy photoshoot when I put my QT kids in the big tank next week. :D

Wow they did a great job! Do you have any pics of the lads?

I have a couple from right when I got them, but I need to take new ones. I will post some soon, I promise!

I had the same experience with algae. My tank gets dirrect sunlight and thus tons of algae. Within a week of adding mr bristlenose the tank was clean. He's done a better job than my applesnails.

Here's a link to a wonderful bristlenose forum. When my bristlenose was sick the forum was a big help. Plus there's ton of interesting tid bits.

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/

Here's a link to screwcumbers. I didn't want to use a fork to sink veggies - worried my Goldies fins would get torn. So I bought these. My bristlenose can be found sitting on top of the zucchini munching away.

http://www.screwcumber.com/

I've heard pretty good things about screwcumbers. I will definitely consider them. So far things have worked out alright without; I have a veggie clip.

plecostomoose??? :rofl2 Man does that lend an interesting mental image! :D

I'm so happy to see that! Glad they are working hard for you! I've never had the chance to have algae build up (since I have Bristlenose in all my tanks) so it's great to see a before and after!

Thanks for taking good care of those babies!

:D

That is awesome! :)

Your tank is just beautiful BTW. Love your plants. :heart

Thanks! I :heart my plants too. I want more!

That's amazing and impressive. Wow!

I, too, am amazed and impressed! :rofl

plecostomoose??? :rofl2 Man does that lend an interesting mental image! :D

I have a lot of fun with the world plecostomus. It's a fun word!

I'm so happy to see that! Glad they are working hard for you! I've never had the chance to have algae build up (since I have Bristlenose in all my tanks) so it's great to see a before and after!

Thanks for taking good care of those babies!

:D

Thanks for sending them to me! They are such neat little guys. :D