Sign in to follow this  
anaru369

how good are these canisters

my lps has aqua one aquis canister and eheim classics are they good or should i consider a fluval they're really expensive here

I'm not too familiar with Aqua One canister filters, but I have used a couple of their HOBs for past quarantine tanks. They weren't bad little filters given the price, however, I'd much rather spend a little more money and go with a tier one product like those made by Aqua Clear, Eheim or Fluval.

From memory your tank was either 40 or 80 litres? Sorry, drawing a blank. On a tank that size I'd just stick with HOBs, but that's simply my personal preference. Nevertheless, if you're after a canister filter, it's not a bad investment since they allow for more filter media, in turn allowing for a stronger colony of nitrifying bacteria.

If you wanted a fun little side project for over the school holidays, you could build your own canister filter. There have been a few threads in the DIY section detailing how to do so. :)

I've had Fluval, Filstar XP3 & Eheim through a variety of tanks/fish (Goldies, livebearing, discus, tetras, clown loaches).

In my opinion, the Fluval was great for small tropicals, but it could not handle the bioload of an understocked 75 gallon goldfish tank, even when I ran 2 Fluvals on the tank. They required frequent maintenance, and replacement of the motor ring seal (which the company recommends replacing yearly).

The Filstar XP3 worked fantastic for several years, but again, once my 3 goldfish (fantails) became quite large, it couldn't handle the bioload as well anymore either.

I went to an Eheim Pro 3e 2078 in October last year, and it's done an excellent job keeping up with the bioload, and only requiring a cleaning approx every 4 months. The downside to this model is the electronics portion which has already failed (board) and am waiting for a replacement from Eheim. Thankfully the filter still runs at maximum output, but none of the electronic features on it are available to me (12 hour bio, stream function, output reduction/increase etc) and the USB interface which is proprietary (you can only use the Eheim) is at an additional cost of $100+.

So, from my experience, I recommend the Eheim, but not the electronic models.

I have semi-planted 75 gal tank with 3@ 7.5" orandas and 3@ 5.5" orandas.

I've had Marineland C-360 for couple of years and it kept water parameters at 0,0,0 with no chemical filtration at all. I just loaded it to the brim with bio filters and some water polishing pads, with one at 50 microns. The only thing I hated about this filter were stiff - unworkable hoses. It just started to leak air and water after my recent clean up, so I assume I have to lubricate the seals or something.

Meanwhile, I am using Fluval 406 and it is doing it's job, but I hate the inflow/outflow piping and I think it looks very cheap. The white rubber seals on a ribbed piping remind me of the bathroom plumbing.... Since they are very visible in my tank - I have to definitely change them. Fluval comes with the funky, flimsy plastic fittings that I do believe will brake in the close future.

On smaller planted aquarium with 3 @ 5.5" orandas I used Cascade filter and it kept my water parameters at 0,0,0 as well with only bio filters. I liked this one.

I've heard good things about Eheim, but I cannot deal with the green color of their fittings.

Eheim's are great canisters. I am only personally familiar with the ecco pro series.... I have never owned a classic, but other members have certainly raved about the classics in the past. I think the big difference between the classics and the one I have is that mine is self-priming, whereas I believe the classics are not.

I'm not at all familiar with the aqua one brand.

Aqua one are available in the UK too. From what I read they are a budget choice, seems to be alot of build complaints regarding motor noise etc.

My money went on an eheim classc 2215, with taps and substrat media. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Lack of self prime can be annoying as you have to rock the cannister about to get the air pockets out.

I always used to swear by Fluval internals when I kept tropicals, but the quality of there filters seemed to get worse over time, think I had About 5 different ones in various tanks, but the best was the oldest. Not sure what there products are like now.

ok so i

I'm not too familiar with Aqua One canister filters, but I have used a couple of their HOBs for past quarantine tanks. They weren't bad little filters given the price, however, I'd much rather spend a little more money and go with a tier one product like those made by Aqua Clear, Eheim or Fluval.

From memory your tank was either 40 or 80 litres? Sorry, drawing a blank. On a tank that size I'd just stick with HOBs, but that's simply my personal preference. Nevertheless, if you're after a canister filter, it's not a bad investment since they allow for more filter media, in turn allowing for a stronger colony of nitrifying bacteria.

If you wanted a fun little side project for over the school holidays, you could build your own canister filter. There have been a few threads in the DIY section detailing how to do so. :)

in a few months im getting a twenty gallon im not sure if i want a canister i have an aqua one hob on my 40 l right now i dumped the cartrdiges and made my own media set up for the new 20 i was thinking of getting an aqueon and modding it as a bio logical filter by getting rid of the cartridges and filling it with bio max

i was just wondering on what filter i should get for a 20 gallon and i came up with this idea ......

buy and aqueon quiet-flow 55/75 put aqua-clear foam blocks where the water travels in ditch everything else except the diffuser grid fill the whole space with bio media and then put bio media / ceramic rings under the diffuser grid making a trickle filter before it goes back into the water :) there better filter

Hi all,

I have three aquariums, one a 300 litre running an Aqua One 1250 cannister, and two Aqua One 900 Marines that both run Aqua One 1050 canisters. No complaints at all.

Best regards Keith

Anaru, have you considered saving up for an AquaClear filter? I remember finding it quite rewarding, when, at your age, I'd save for things I wanted. :)

From what I understand, you intend on buying an Aqueon and replacing its media?

I always used to swear by Fluval internals when I kept tropicals, but the quality of there filters seemed to get worse over time, think I had About 5 different ones in various tanks, but the best was the oldest. Not sure what there products are like now.

Ive run a Fluval U4 internal in my trop tank for about 18months now and its been a dream. The best internal ive had really, only downer is the media chamber is not huge so not sure how itd cope with messier fish like GF. I think the Useries are actually their best models for a while, my housemate also runs a U3 and U2 in her tanks happily, after giving up on Eheim internals.

The only canister ive run is a Rena XP4 which I love. My friend uses Fluval canisters and really likes those, too.

Anaru, have you considered saving up for an AquaClear filter? I remember finding it quite rewarding, when, at your age, I'd save for things I wanted. :)

From what I understand, you intend on buying an Aqueon and replacing its media?

im going to ditch the cartridges and the bio holster thing and fill that whole space with bio media