Another Nerite?

CoralPeachy

A few months ago, my tank moved to a brighter place. Last month there was algae starting to appear and now there is loads! It's brown algae (diatoms I think). I have a zebra nerite that is eating it but very slowly so was wondering if I should get another one (my mum really wants me to because she thinks it is ugly and will stink if it isn't eaten). It is a 30 litre but I will be getting a 60 litre after christmas. I know that because it is cold my snails matabolism is slowing down but when it gets warmer and there is not enough algae left I can give them algae wafers. Thank you!

You can if you'd like. However I have two nerites, a ton of fast growing diatoms and the nerites are awful at cleaning it. They're pretty good about the plants, but won't touch the bottom. I end up having to scrub it off.

I'll get it tomorrow then! There definitely is no chance of them having babies unless it is brackish water right? She will be called Bertina Bubble to go with Berty Bubble!

Hun, both those tanks are way too small for goldfish. I would not get another nerite. :(

I know but I don't feed them that much (every other day 1 pellet each and some spinach) and do big water changes every week. I wish I could get a tank bigger than 65 litre but my parents won't let me because they don't think it is necessary and are worried about the amount of water. I didn't think that nerite snails produced a lot of waste though so would it make that much of a difference? Thanks :)

Hun, I'm sorry, but I think you should rehome your goldfish and get a betta. It would be much happier in your tank. And no, I don't think that underfeeding your fish makes it OK that they are in a tiny space. :(

With a betta, your tank would be big enough for a nerite or an apple snail or a little something else, like a pair of dwarf frogs. They all could live good lives in a 60 liter.

Hun, I'm sorry, but I think you should rehome your goldfish and get a betta. It would be much happier in your tank. And no, I don't think that underfeeding your fish makes it OK that they are in a tiny space. :(

With a betta, your tank would be big enough for a nerite or an apple snail or a little something else, like a pair of dwarf frogs. They all could live good lives in a 60 liter.

Ok then. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a tank bigger than a 65 litre and if not I will think about rehoming.

Hun, both those tanks are way too small for goldfish. I would not get another nerite. :(

Oops, i read this as 30 gallons not liters! I agree with Shawn :) Hopefully you are able to get a bigger tank, CoralPeachy!

If you get a 60 litre you could actually have a small tropical community setup, this could include a Betta and some carefully picked tankmates (we have kept Corys successfully with our Bettas, as well as Otos and shrimp (shrimp success depends on a bettas attitude though lol). Or you could maybe keep dwarf gourami if bettas arent your thing - you would have a reasonable amount of choice for what to keep in a tropical 60litre.

If you want to keep your goldies and your parents are worried about the cost/management of a larger tank then tell them shopping around on Ebay/Gumtree/Preloved can turn up some great deals on used tanks - often you can get two or three times larger tanks for the same cost as a new 60litre would be! and used tanks often come with filters and other equipment too. If you request the tank be filled when you pick it up this lets you know it is watertight and as long as you check it all over thoroughly before you take it home it is no more likely to leak than a brand new tank (infact the only tank I ever had leak was a brand new tank - and it was only 20litres - small tanks often have less reliable sealant IMO!).

(With any new setup of any size you should monitor it extra carefully for any leaks/imbalances for the first few weeks so you can act quickly in case of any issues).

If your parents dont realise the need for larger tanks you could always try showing them this site and the explanations about stocking guidelines and experience of knowledgeable goldfish keepers. I am sure they would not want your fish to suffer and once they realise the health implications of too-small tanks then perhaps they would change their mind.

I hope something nice works out for you eitherway ^^

Edited by Lucerne

If you get a 60 litre you could actually have a small tropical community setup, this could include a Betta and some carefully picked tankmates (we have kept Corys successfully with our Bettas, as well as Otos and shrimp (shrimp success depends on a bettas attitude though lol). Or you could maybe keep dwarf gourami if bettas arent your thing - you would have a reasonable amount of choice for what to keep in a tropical 60litre.

If you want to keep your goldies and your parents are worried about the cost/management of a larger tank then tell them shopping around on Ebay/Gumtree/Preloved can turn up some great deals on used tanks - often you can get two or three times larger tanks for the same cost as a new 60litre would be! and used tanks often come with filters and other equipment too. If you request the tank be filled when you pick it up this lets you know it is watertight and as long as you check it all over thoroughly before you take it home it is no more likely to leak than a brand new tank (infact the only tank I ever had leak was a brand new tank - and it was only 20litres - small tanks often have less reliable sealant IMO!).

(With any new setup of any size you should monitor it extra carefully for any leaks/imbalances for the first few weeks so you can act quickly in case of any issues).

If your parents dont realise the need for larger tanks you could always try showing them this site and the explanations about stocking guidelines and experience of knowledgeable goldfish keepers. I am sure they would not want your fish to suffer and once they realise the health implications of too-small tanks then perhaps they would change their mind.

I hope something nice works out for you eitherway ^^

Thank you! I will show them this site and try to persuade them to let me get a 100 litre or more.

Lucerne gives you good advice. We had one fancy in a 60ish liter for a year (and he did fine with very frequent water changes) but, as we planned, we got him a much larger used tank after the 1st year and it is clear he enjoys the room. We are now adding a couple of snails and working on planting itbefore adding one more fish (the tank is approximately 250 liters).