Sign in to follow this  
Niiku

Algae Wafers

On a whim yesterday, I decided to buy a small package of Hikari Algae Wafers for my goldies. I wasn't sure if they'd like them but figured it'd be worth a try since I'd like to get more green food in their diet.

So I dropped a wafer in, and it took them a while to find it. But once they did, they went INSANE!

I've never seen them so happy over a food besides peas. They pushed and shoved each other around to get at it. XD So this morning I cut another wafer in half for their breakfast and dropped it near each of them, but of course the little piggies fought over one piece again, gobbled that up and fought over the other piece too. lmfao. Silly things.

I have noticed their activity level go up too, they've been foraging and swimming about more energetically today.

All in all I think it was a hit!

I've been using algae wafers for few months now. Good for you for trying it. I started to use seaweed and they like it too.

I have algae wafers, and I really like them! They're a very easy food to give to someone, if you won't be home to feed them. Whenever I know I'll be spending the night in the hospital, I tell my husband to drop two in, in the morning. :D

I have algae wafers as well, but they are primarily for the pleco; I have to give the treat in 2 stages, some on one side of the tank to get the goldies attention, then some on the other side to drop where the pleco likes to hang out lol

I love feeding algae wafers - and the "H2O Stable" wafers from NLS. Not only do the fish love 'em, it gives them some exercise they don't get a lot of in a box, and spreads out the feeding time over fifteen minutes or so. All my fish enjoy them - from the goldies to rainbowfish and tetras (who pick floating crumbs as the corydoras, blue rams and SAE nibble).

~Bruce

I used algae wafers as a treat before Soilent Green. But now it seems pointless :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have algae wafers, and I really like them!

:o They are for the fish, yafashelli, not you! I think I had to tell Alex this about soilent green.

:rofl

I have actually never tried feeding algae wafers to the fish, I have them but I've only fed them to the snails in the betta tank

As Chris said, it just seemed really pointless after soilent green.

I feed them occasionally in halves or smaller because I can place them near where the pleco is and it wont roll away in the current like repashy. so the goldie nom on repashy while the pleco eats peacefully.

Hehe yeah once I move to my new place in the spring and my boyfriend and I have a fridge all to ourselves I'll be able to start making Repashy for them. But for now I simply don't have the room in the fridge (4 people sharing one fridge is nuts as it is) so I just make sure to keep their diet varied as best as I can.

I think goldfish do like algae wafers because they can chase it down. It makes it a bit more fun that way. It takes longer to eat it as well.

I occasionally drop one in a tank with non-floaters, and they seem to have a lot of fun pushing and chasing it around.

As for the nutritional value, I do not think there is any benefit from feeding these things except for the entertainment provided for the fish. We could probably compare it to us having potato chips :)

I have algae wafers, and I really like them!

:o They are for the fish, yafashelli, not you! I think I had to tell Alex this about soilent green.

:rofl

:tomuch: Lol!

I think goldfish do like algae wafers because they can chase it down. It makes it a bit more fun that way. It takes longer to eat it as well.

I occasionally drop one in a tank with non-floaters, and they seem to have a lot of fun pushing and chasing it around.

As for the nutritional value, I do not think there is any benefit from feeding these things except for the entertainment provided for the fish. We could probably compare it to us having potato chips :)

Hmm interesting observation Fang, I'll keep that in mind and limit the feeding to once or twice a week for stimulation more than supplementing. :3 Thanks!

Edited by Niiku