Sign in to follow this  
Trimom

How long do you leave a veggie in the clip?

I gave our new Orandas some cucumber in a clip. How long do you leave those veggies in a clip in the tank? They pick at it on occasion. Not sure if they know it's food yet.

24-48 hrs (depending on how the food looks)

You can help them figure out that it's food by not feeding anything else during this time period.

Other things to try:

- rub garlic/garlic juice on the veggies

- make sure they are cooked well enough (soft)

- feed something really yummy like a little piece of orange on the clip first (so they associate the clip with something good)

Can you give them orange just as a treat?

yep :) but you want to feed fruits sparingly because they contain a lot of sugar, which isn't great for the fish. Citrus fruits are good for an occasional treat though :)

Ah cool, good to know. I read Koko advising orange for a sickly goldfish, so I imagine the vitamins are beneficial.

Ah cool, good to know. I read Koko advising orange for a sickly goldfish, so I imagine the vitamins are beneficial.

the vitamin c is certainly beneficial :)

In the beginning it can take a while for the fish to associate the new stuff on the clip as food,so be patient for a while... but once they get it it doesn't usually last to long in the tank ;)

24-48 hrs (depending on how the food looks)

You can help them figure out that it's food by not feeding anything else during this time period.

Other things to try:

- rub garlic/garlic juice on the veggies

- make sure they are cooked well enough (soft)

- feed something really yummy like a little piece of orange on the clip first (so they associate the clip with something good)

Follwed these tips, gave my fish three spinach leaves (microwaved in water for 50 secs) I put them in the microwave with some finely chopped garlic and rubbed it into the leaves. They went mental for the galic lol. Clipped it in Friday night, they gave it a few tugs, but i gave them some pellets which them prefered. Away saturday, came back Sunday and the three leaves were chewed down to the clip! lol. In the abcense of easier food they seem to love it.

they are like children! you have to trick them into eating their spinach :P