Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

I'm done with Progold for one of my fish

Mostly I feed them repashy and seaweed these days. Bloodworms, 2 or 3x a week. I try and throw in a progold pellet here and there but for my fantail it turns him into a total sinker so I guess I'm done. I like that it has probiotics in it so I guess I will buy some and add it to repashy next time I make it.

An example and I've tried this a few times now, I gave him one progold pellet at lunch and one at dinner yesterday,along with his normal food. He could barely get any buoyancy this morning, kept sinking from the top like he had a weight tied to him. Now that a few hours has gone by and he's had some repashy he's mostly buoyant again but for whatever reason some foods sure disagree with his round bodied digestion. When he was young and a little thing it did not effect him this way and gave him alot of good growth but perhaps as he's grown his organs are just more squished in there and have a harder time getting the progold through his system even though I do soak them first.

Edit: And I'm not saying its a bad product, I'm just saying for some reason its not right for his digestive system. My new little guy seems ok with it.

Edited by cmclien

Have you tried soaking it first? My Ryukin had a little bit of floating issues when I first tried it. Now I soak it for about a minute and everyone loves it with no issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Cindi, one of my fish gets floaty with ProGold also so I toss it in the Repashy and he has no problem at all. :)

Good luck.

Or try my soilent green/Pro-Gold sandwich method.

Or try my soilent green/Pro-Gold sandwich method.

Thats funny, does it work? And do you actually mean you put a progold inside a piece of SG?

Cindi, one of my fish gets floaty with ProGold also so I toss it in the Repashy and he has no problem at all. :)

Good luck.

I think thats interesting it would make a difference. I'm perplexed why this would be....hmmm

Do you grind them up first? or put them in whole?

I put them in whole after I've mixed the SG powder with the water. I think the ProGold absorbs water so it's like presoaking. :idont Not sure why it works so well but it does.

What Alex means is feed SG in the morning, PG in the afternoon-ish, and SG again in the evening. This worked fairly well for me but probably not as well as putting the PG in the SG. I wasn't very scientific about it. They probably don't get as much PG as if I just toss it in . . . . :)

Can't hurt to try both methods. :D

I put them in whole after I've mixed the SG powder with the water. I think the ProGold absorbs water so it's like presoaking. :idont Not sure why it works so well but it does.

What Alex means is feed SG in the morning, PG in the afternoon-ish, and SG again in the evening. This worked fairly well for me but probably not as well as putting the PG in the SG. I wasn't very scientific about it. They probably don't get as much PG as if I just toss it in . . . . :)

I'm going to try this for my next batch. I have a fish who gets really floaty and constipated after Pro-Gold. I wish it didn't because it's so easy to feed when I haven't made a new batch of SG yet!

I'm going to try this for my next batch. I have a fish who gets really floaty and constipated after Pro-Gold. I wish it didn't because it's so easy to feed when I haven't made a new batch of SG yet!

This is what happens to mine, I have no idea how one pellet can constipate him! (but it does). Then the next morning he can barely float, its weird, might be the constipation. Thats why I like seaweed it makes him go like a "normal" fish should go lol

I don't think the sandwhich method works for me because even one pellet at lunch will do this to him.

You could try Saki-Hikari, it also has probiotics in it. Seems like sometimes certain fish will float on one type of pellet food and be fine on a different type of pellet, it's just a matter of finding the right one for each fish.

You could try Saki-Hikari, it also has probiotics in it. Seems like sometimes certain fish will float on one type of pellet food and be fine on a different type of pellet, it's just a matter of finding the right one for each fish.

Yes, definitely worth trying.

In my case, my fish loved Saki Hikari, but Saki Hikari did not love them. We got several bobbers after this. :rofl

Alex I tried your sandwich method today with Roos and it didn't help :( she just decided instead of gulping hardcore for an hour she gulped on and off for a few hours. Which is funny because progold ground into the repashy doesn't make her gulp at all.

Awww :(

Perhaps it has to do with how much, since I guess there is still less PG when you mix with SG?

I'm sorry it did not work, but am glad that mixing it does! :)

I actually ordered this last week, its worth trying :)

My fishes are floaty after they eat progold. Im not feeding my GF with that no more..

Just like humans, some goldfish cant handle progold.... I had a fish years ago that would float.... Atleast you know it causes a problem....

Just like in people, some people cant have milk,,for example :(

Just like humans, some goldfish cant handle progold.... I had a fish years ago that would float.... Atleast you know it causes a problem....

We'll said...

We'll said...

Why thank you :thumb:

I bought Saki-Hikari fancy goldfish food with high hopes.....but even after adding water to it so they were nice and plump before I gave it to the fish, I've got some major floaters this afternoon, mostly my fantail, he looks drunk :wacko:

Maybe I need to feed less, I like that its small and sinks, it gives them something to forage after. It didn't do this until today which is the 3rd day I have fed it, but only at one meal, repashy at the other two.

Just an update. I had overfed with the Saki-Hikari on my last post. I am finding if I give them each about 4 little pellets along with their repashy and seaweed each meal then they are just fine. I really like the wheat germ with the pro-biotic effect for them and their digestion with the Saki-Hikari.

I can finally say I haven't had a bottom sitter for weeks now, YAY!!!!!!!!!! It has been a huge struggle dealing with their digestive and constipation issues (mostly the fantail).

Is that Saki-Hikari the purple bag? as it does say on the package..Intermittent use or mixing with other diets will not allow the hikari germ to flourish and remain active in the intestine tract..

Is that Saki-Hikari the purple bag? as it does say on the package..Intermittent use or mixing with other diets will not allow the hikari germ to flourish and remain active in the intestine tract..

I wonder if that is true, or if they're just saying it so that you use (and buy $$$) more of their food only. :hmm

Any product that tells you that you have to use it exclusively and permanently, or else it loses its effects, is a bit of a hocus pocus. It is certainly true that one can benefit from an infusion of probiotics, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I actually heard a science Friday podcasts earlier in the year that talked about probiotics in humans as they relate to yogurt. They found that the probiotics increased digestion of certain nutrients etc... But that the effects were pretty much limited to the day you ate the yogurt. No long lasting effects.

So the claim is probably not total bs. However in don't see why it would need to be fed exclusively... But every day to get the benefit rings true to me anyhow. Especially given the short digestive tract of a goldfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2