Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Aquarium Seam Integrity

Hello everyone,

As some of you are aware I'm currently in the process of restoring one of my old tanks. It originally had one of those faux 3D rock backgrounds siliconed to it -- word of advice, avoid them at all costs, removing that much silicone is a huge pain in the butt. Anyway, I was inspecting the seams and noticed that a little excess bit of silicone on the outside of the tank was slightly torn. The internal seam, the bulk of it, is perfectly fine, I've thoroughly inspected it. I was just wondering if this is something I should be worried about? The tank does hold water without any problems, it's been filled a few times since I started working on it.

While I'd really prefer to not reseal it, if it must be done it must be done. As an alternative, I was wondering if I could just recaulk a dab of silicone where the problem is?

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

(Sorry for the rubbish photo, I couldn't be bothered getting a camera.)

DSC01450-1.jpg

I don't know if it would cause a problem, but I know you can't just put some silicone on top of old stuff because it won't stick.... which sucks a lot haha. If it does cause a problem you will need to reseal the whole thing

Good luck, dan in aus! I can't wait to see the finished work! :)

Haley, that was something I thought of, I remember learning the hard way once. :lol It's a little hard to explain, but if you cut that little loose external bit off, I could caulk an external seam without it touching the internal silicone so it would dry. It seems to make sense in my head at least. I could also be worrying over nothing, I know on a lot of crisp frameless tanks the silicone is barely visible from both inside and outside the tank.

Thanks, Alex. :)

It looks okay to me, I would just keep an eye on it as the tank ages as that may become a problem spot in the distant future.

It looks okay to me, I would just keep an eye on it as the tank ages as that may become a problem spot in the distant future.

Thanks for the input, PSP. :)

I'm thinking I might fill it up and just let it sit for a couple of days. If everything still looks fine after that I'll proceed as I was intending, otherwise I'll look into my fallback plan. Chances are I'm being overly cautious here, but I'd rather be cautious than reckless.

Any other input people have is still greatly appreciated. :)

Honestly, if the bulk internal silicone seam is fine, I don't see a problem.

Fill it up, keep an eye on it. Maybe even tape a piece of paper towel tightly over that area and check it regularly for a tiny leak :)

Honestly, if the bulk internal silicone seam is fine, I don't see a problem

My thoughts exactly. Good luck!

You could superglue it shut. :]

Superglueing aquarium seals is usually not a good idea. Maybe ok to fill tiniest leaks, but superglue lacks the flexibility of cured silicone. That means that the strain on the glass and seams and the glue will eventually crack the cured super glue :(

Superglueing aquarium seals is usually not a good idea. Maybe ok to fill tiniest leaks, but superglue lacks the flexibility of cured silicone. That means that the strain on the glass and seams and the glue will eventually crack the cured super glue :(

Oh.

Thanks for the tip regarding the paper towel, Fang. I let it sit for most of the day without any problems so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just do as the others suggested and watch the seams as the tank ages, if any issues arise I'll deal with them accordingly. :)