Sign in to follow this  
fishtankbabe

Question about using salt if ammonia is present

I have seen several posts that mention not to add salt to the tank if there is any ammonia present. I have high ammonia in my tap water (1.00 ppm) due to chloromines. I am currently treating my new fish with Prazi and salt, but anytime I do a WC, there is going to be ammonia in my tank (detoxed with Prime, of course).

My question is, if the tank is treated with Prime, is it still dangerous to have salt in the water when ammonia is present?

Detoxed ammonia is something entirely different, and you are OK to proceed.

Let me go ahead and take this opportunity to clarify the whole no salt while there is ammonia issue:

1. Both salt and ammonia are agents that can cause gill damage/irritation. So, while they don't have a synergistic (multiplicative) effect, they could have an additive effect on negatively impacting the gills.

2. Because of this, we don't recommend using salt when ammonia is skyrocketting, such as when a tank is cycling. Salt doesn't really do anything in this situation, and can add up to be damaging the gills.

3. We DO recommend using salt when you are cycling and your ammonia peak has disappeared and you are getting the nitrite peak. Salt (chloride ions actually) blocks the nitrite from being transported across the gills, where it enters the bloodstream and causes brown blood. Salt is extremely helpful, but you actually don't need much salt here.

This post has been promoted to an article

Thats nice to have that clarified :)