Sign in to follow this  
xjasminex

Best polishing filter pad

I'm looking into buying some polishing filter pads for my fifty five gallon goldfish tank. I use the deep blue poly filter pads but I have redone my tank and wanted to make sure that the water is as clear as I can get it.

What kinds of polishing filter pads do you guys use?

Thanks!

I actually don't use any; I have in the past, but honestly, I don't really notice a difference. I used to use the Rena Filstar brand ones back when I had a XP3 canister running. I noticed they get gunked up rather quickly which I know is evidence that it's doing its job and all. Now I run 2 aquaclear 110s with no polishing pad, and a pretty decent bio-load, and I don't notice the water being any less clear that it's ever been, in fact, it's been looking clearer than ever. Guess it's a personal preference, so good luck!

I was thinking of using it at the top of my aquatop cf-500, in the last media tray.

I was also thinking of maybe putting my whisper ex70 on again and using that for the polishing pads.

Ideally I'd like something that i can to fit, more cost effective that way.

Thanks!

Buy a big roll of it. Then just cut out dozens and dozens of ones to fit :) its what i do in my eheim 2215 external.

This is uk, but im sure you can get similar in the states.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-AQUARIUM-POND-FILTER-MEDIA-WOOL-FLOSS-ROLL-5-8mm-/260728515110?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cb4a16a26

If you use Seachem Prime as a Water Conditioner then you could try Seachem Purigen as that will polish water too

I have used purigen, but the stuff that I bought was from my lfs, and It looked old and itexpired quite fast, i recharged it but it still was kinda dark...so I have 4 of the 100ml bags on order. But I wanted the pads too because I think my tank is really dirty because its a planted dirt tank.

I actually don't use any; I have in the past, but honestly, I don't really notice a difference. I used to use the Rena Filstar brand ones back when I had a XP3 canister running. I noticed they get gunked up rather quickly which I know is evidence that it's doing its job and all. Now I run 2 aquaclear 110s with no polishing pad, and a pretty decent bio-load, and I don't notice the water being any less clear that it's ever been, in fact, it's been looking clearer than ever. Guess it's a personal preference, so good luck!

What are you using for media, Mike?

I haven't tried them because I've heard that they don't make much difference. I do an 80% WC every 5 days to keep my water crystal clear. Would be interesting what others have to say though.

Ok, maybe ill see how the purigen does on its own for a bit, then decided if I still want to try the polishing pads.

What are you using for media, Mike?

Hey Alex. I actually use solely the media that came with each filter, no more, no less. Seems to allow the filter to perform as it was intended. Sometimes I wonder if adding additional media puts an extra strain on the filter, since it was designed to run with typically what it comes with, but I know there are exceptions out there that specifically come with extra room. I find that my 110's don't really have much extra room when stocked with the foam block, and the bag of ceramic rings. I couldn't picture putting in addition media like a polishing pad...would be too cramped in my opinion.

Edited by JouteiMike

I don't use carbon, so I put filter padding there in its place.

I'm pretty happy with the purigen so far (its been in for a week).

I have also used the poly filter pads which do an amazing job but they're pricey and take up as much room as a filter pad.

Oops forgot to reply Alex. Yeah I forgot to add I ditched the carbon from the 110s, think I still have them under the tank somewhere though. I find even when ditching the carbon there's not much excess room for much. I see no harm in adding a polishing pad, but no real benefits either if my water is pristine without them.