Sign in to follow this  
Dying_Phoenix

Oh no! Sucked into the Python Siphon hose!

• Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 20-30
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)20
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit. Drops.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 HOB's One an Aquaclear 70. The other a whisper 60
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 70-75 ( room temp )
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? About 90% a week. Sometimes more broken into 2 water changes.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Just now! 90%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55. Running for about 6 months now but was torn down and had been running for 5 years before. Filter media was rinsed with tank water.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 goldfish.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro gold. 4 times a day or more, small amounts.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) ---
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? ---
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? ----
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Treated a couple months ago as directed on bottle.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

I filled out the form just in case..but...Today Bullet, my ranchu got sucked into the python hose! I was right there and saw it happen and turned it off and got him out right away but he is dazed, swimming lopsided and beat up. He's too small to be sucked into the tube so he just went up and his head got stuck and stopped the flow. Poor..poor guy. He's wobbly, dazed and breathing shallow. The other fish brush past and kind of push him around and he is lingering near the top. I see a small pinprick of blood spot near his head and his tail fins have bloody streaks. He looks bruised.

Has anyone ever had this happen!? Will he live? Ahhh..I'm so worried..he's very special to me! What can I do to help him??

Edited by Dying_Phoenix

Hi! The experts will soon join but rest assured, this has happened to many fish before. I believe the recommendation has been to isolate the fish in a separate tank and in a mild salt solution to fight infection. Search for the topic in the forum, or find dnalex for recommendations on using salt.

Edited by motherredcap

Hello. I'm sorry this happened. Pythons are great, but they do present this danger, and so some sort of guard is needed in the future.

The red veins in the fins are a stress response, and will go back down once he is calmer. The thing that we need to watch is the head injury. From your description, he may benefit from a very slight amount of salt (0.1%), daily water changes, and separation away from his tank mates as he heals.

Am I correct in assume the nitrates are pre-WC values?

I'll look into the salt and I'll do daily wc's. I might move him to a spare 10 gallon and do that to make the water changes easier.

My tap has 20 nitrates straight from the tap so it's like..impossible for me to get them under 20. All i can do is strive to keep it at 20. I do plan to get a new light for their tank and introduce a bunch of hardy goldfish resistant plants and hope that perhaps they can help lower it.

I've actually had that happen to me before as well, now I'm extra careful. A guard of some sort is a great suggestion. I bet your fish will be fine, as fish tend to heal very rapidly if the water is kept clean. The best option for you is to let the fish chill out, keep an eye on the injuries, and perform more frequent water changes as stated.

Oh I just wanted to add, my fish had identical injuries and symptoms to yours, and he persevered with no salt, or needing to take him out. But I'm not trying to say don't add salt, or don't take him out, but letting him relax for a day or two and keeping an eye on him may be the best plan of action for now so you don't further stress him out.

Edited by JouteiMike

I think i'm going to take a piece of panty hose and cut it to fit over the end and keep a rubber band around it from now on. Anyone tried that with a water changing hose like a python? The water in my house has such poor pressure that I simply disconnect the hose from the attachment nozzle and just run it outside like a traditional siphon then put it back and refill the tank.

I wonder if the nylon would affect the siphon too much and make it really slow or nonexistent. Guess I'll have to try it!

sorry about your fish. its awful when that happens.

i cut up some old fishnet tights and put that over mine. it works really well. still lets the grub through but no fish. my oranda got sucked up my siphon. it was only because she is small that she didn't get hurt :( Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Edited by orandafan1981

This has happened a lot, I actually sucked my telescopes eye partially out previously... It's rough but it does happen :hug and you are in good hands as the mods and members here helped me with my fish and now she is enjoying her freedom with my other telescope.

I would actually recommend using mesh rather than pantyhose as you need to be able to get debris out. I used some mesh from orange or mandarin bags with a rubber band on my aqueon.

Fishnets like Orandafan mentioned work great and let the debris get sucked up. You can also buy a laundry mesh bag almost anywhere like at walgreens or target etc and those holes are nice and big too to let debris get picked up. I just cut a piece and rubberband it on.

Hope your fish is feeling better soon. This happened to my fantail also when he was younger. The second I saw it I pulled it out of the water and he plopped out. He was ok, just a bit upset and a little beat up for a day or two. Now he's too big to fit up there but I still use the laundry mesh bag on there because it could happen to my oranda.

Its such a common occurrence you would think they would automatically come with some type of cover.

Edited by cmclien

Oh I hope your fish will be okay. I have an aqueon water changer and I used a little mesh bag that you get that holds medium size pebbles in. In works great. I just rubber banded it together. The mesh is big enough to get the debri out of my tank. (I had bought some stones/med. pebbles at Petsmart and they came in a small mesh bag. The price was $1.99. Not bad seeing I used the stones and recycled the mesh bag.) :) Sending a fast recovery to your fish.

I'd make sure you wash the smell out really good with warm water and rinse it out really good. I don't really know if it will harm the fish or not but I would not want to take any chances.

Since this happened to me in the past, I very seldom leave the python siphon tube exposed and unprotected while it's running if I turn my back on the aquarium. I've tried using netting with rubber bands in the past, and to be honest, it really slowed things down for me, got in the way, and I didn't really care for it. So now I just keep an extra eye on my fish, and if I have to turn my back, I bury the open end in the gravel, so it stays semi-filled with rocks. Now I know many of you have bare bottom tanks, but for those who have gravel or even sand, this would work as well if you didn't want to use the netting or sponge as a protector when you have to turn your back to the tank or walk away temporarily.

Thank you everyone! I think I have an onion sack laying around somewhere, I'll use that. Great idea! <3

A little word of advice if you are going to use the netting from the onion sack: In addition to what pretty fish said, I was wondering if you have a bare-bottom tank or have gravel/sand? If you have gravel, make sure you cut it bigger than you need. This way you have ample slack that will allow you to jam the siphon tube into the gravel without putting strain on the net. But if you have a bare-bottom, then it doesn't really matter!

I think i'm going to take a piece of panty hose and cut it to fit over the end and keep a rubber band around it from now on. Anyone tried that with a water changing hose like a python? The water in my house has such poor pressure that I simply disconnect the hose from the attachment nozzle and just run it outside like a traditional siphon then put it back and refill the tank.

I wonder if the nylon would affect the siphon too much and make it really slow or nonexistent. Guess I'll have to try it!

I have the same pressure problem, and with winter coming, the draining outside won't be practical, so I recently got a pond pump to drain the tank. It's great. It drains quickly and won't suck up any fish. But it doesn't vacuum. I got this one, in case you are interested. http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html

I hope your fish recovers quickly. I've done the same thing, and I now cover the siphon with mesh from a bag of oranges.

Since this happened to me in the past, I very seldom leave the python siphon tube exposed and unprotected while it's running if I turn my back on the aquarium. I've tried using netting with rubber bands in the past, and to be honest, it really slowed things down for me, got in the way, and I didn't really care for it. So now I just keep an extra eye on my fish, and if I have to turn my back, I bury the open end in the gravel, so it stays semi-filled with rocks. Now I know many of you have bare bottom tanks, but for those who have gravel or even sand, this would work as well if you didn't want to use the netting or sponge as a protector when you have to turn your back to the tank or walk away temporarily.

Thank you everyone! I think I have an onion sack laying around somewhere, I'll use that. Great idea! <3

A little word of advice if you are going to use the netting from the onion sack: In addition to what pretty fish said, I was wondering if you have a bare-bottom tank or have gravel/sand? If you have gravel, make sure you cut it bigger than you need. This way you have ample slack that will allow you to jam the siphon tube into the gravel without putting strain on the net. But if you have a bare-bottom, then it doesn't really matter!

Maybe you need bigger mesh. I use mesh from a bag of oranges, and it is very open. It doesn't slow things down at all.

The water in my house has such poor pressure that I simply disconnect the hose from the attachment nozzle and just run it outside like a traditional siphon then put it back and refill the tank.

I find getting the other end of my aqueon water changer lower helps the pressure alot! I start it in the sink, once its going I turn off the water, unscrew it from the sink and put it in the tub, then it drains very fast.

I have the same pressure problem, and with winter coming, the draining outside won't be practical, so I recently got a pond pump to drain the tank. It's great. It drains quickly and won't suck up any fish. But it doesn't vacuum. I got this one, in case you are interested. http://www.harborfre...pump-68395.html

I hope your fish recovers quickly. I've done the same thing, and I now cover the siphon with mesh from a bag of oranges.

Maybe you need bigger mesh. I use mesh from a bag of oranges, and it is very open. It doesn't slow things down at all.

Could be. I've tried many different methods in the past and I just didn't really care to have anything attached to the end of my python. Now I am just extra careful.

My fish went up my water changer while I was standing at the tank. I turned away for a few seconds, literally. Fortunately, he was a prefect fit. I reverse flow, and he popped out like a cork and was fine. It scared me, though. Goofy fish! :rolleyes:

Omg sucking out a telescope's eye! That would be TERRIBLE...Ahhh. I'd be haunted by that. >_<

The onions haven't been in the sack for a long, long time but I'd rinse it well. I keep them around in case I want to use them for mushroom hunting morels in the spring and then end up not using half of them cause I have terrible luck with that but that's a whole 'nother story, lol.

The gravel idea might be a good one! There's gravel in my tank so..I can try that.

Also..Bullet is doing better today, guys! He's still a little wobbly but he's eating and swimming around. Just not 100%. Fingers crossed!

I'm happy to hear that your fish is doing better today.

Omg sucking out a telescope's eye! That would be TERRIBLE...Ahhh. I'd be haunted by that. >_<

The onions haven't been in the sack for a long, long time but I'd rinse it well. I keep them around in case I want to use them for mushroom hunting morels in the spring and then end up not using half of them cause I have terrible luck with that but that's a whole 'nother story, lol.

The gravel idea might be a good one! There's gravel in my tank so..I can try that.

Also..Bullet is doing better today, guys! He's still a little wobbly but he's eating and swimming around. Just not 100%. Fingers crossed!

It was very terrible! It took a long time for me to forgive myself, but as soon as I saw that she was ok and adjusting well and that she is still happy and healthy I forgave myself. It can only be a learning experience and from the sounds of it, Bullet is extremely lucky that you acted so quickly and are taking good care of him. Fins are crossed for Bullet!

Oh no! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I don't know what I'd do if that happened to one of my little guys... I hope he feels better soon!

I had that happen with just a regular siphon hose!! My pretty little shubunkin went in headfirst and it broke her neck. I got her out right away but she just gasped a few times and was gone. And I just looked away for a second like is usually the case. That was a few years ago. More recently one of my rosy red minnows got sucked up and went all the way through backwards into my bucket! He was alive but disoriented. He did live for a few days but ended up passing away. It was just too stressful apparently. Glad to hear your guy is ok so far--sure hope he pulls through.

Aww..I don't want to hear any more terrible stories! :cry

I do want to say that Bullet is 100% today! Zipping around and eating...you couldn't even guess what happened!

It's a lesson learned though, I will never let my siphon be without some sort of a guard on it again!

Glad bullet is ok :) Good luck in the future. My fish are too fat to get sucked up by they do try to get in there ;)

I'm happy too! It sounds like you have one tough little guy!