Snail life

BurningIvy

Hi =) just wondering about snails in general. I've posted about the two that I have and just wondered if there is anything I need to know about them. I know they like warm water, sand, and cuddle bone. But how do you know if they are unwell? Can you treat a snail for problems? Is it possible for a snail's shell to be too heavy for them (I ask because Guss is having a problem moving I think)? I have noticed that they don't like deep water. In QT cups they won't let me raise the water beyond 2 inches or they stop moving. (most recently I put Guss in a big cup and filled it to 6 inches and he laid on his side all day and didn't move even a little. So how can I ever put him in a 10G with a betta? Is he maybe just sensitive? Thanks =)

I'm don't think that the shell of a snail can be too heavy for them, just because from an evolutionary perspective that trait would not survive.

P.S.

Hi =) just wondering about snails in general. I've posted about the two that I have and just wondered if there is anything I need to know about them. I know they like warm water, sand, and cuddle bone.

"Cuddle bone" I know it is meant to be cuttle bone but I have to say that sounds so cute! :)

My snails go into deep water happily (not trying to brag :) ) Apparently when the water conditions are bad they remain at the surface, do you change the water? Do you know the plaster "vacation feeding blocks"? I keep one in the tank for the snails, the calcium in the plaster is good for their shells and the block increases the water quality. My snails have one name for the two of them, they are Tic Tac. Snail buddies!

Im sure snails like any creature can become ill, however I am not aware of any illness effecting domestic snails. Just from my experience of keeping them, mine have never gotten "sick".

Snails can appear to struggle with their own shells, and I guess its possible that breeding for size could cause this, but again ive never seen a snail actually incapable of moving due to this.

Snails are inverts and so they are very much affected by their environments temperature. Warm water will make them more active but shorter lived overall and cold water will do the opposite. In my experience they are fine unless at an extreme temp.

Its possible when you change the water depth they are just taking a while to adjust to the change in pressure but they should be fine after a short while.

Cuttle bone is good, they do need calcium in their diet for good shell growth and it also helps if your water is on the hard side rather than soft. If it is soft theyll probably just want more calcium than otherwise.

Hope that helps ;)

Edited by Lucerne

They are not in an aquarium yet. I'm quarantining them in large-ish cups with 100% wc's everyday for one month to kill of any parasites or bad bacteria or the like. They will be headed into a moderately planted tank with my betta soon. Also, Guss has had a break through with the movement issue. I assume he was just adapting to his surroundings... thanks a lot =)