Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Goldfish Eating Shrimp Troubles

My common goldfish is about 5" long. He was put in a 55 gallon tank because he was attacking my two fancies who were living in a 29 gallon with him. Anyways, he was with just two ghost shrimp in there. He attacked one and killed it, but didn't eat it. So I picked it up with a net and put it in the 29 gallon and the two fancies must have ate him because I checked back an hour later and he wasn't there anymore.

Now, the other ghost shrimp that wasn't killed yet in the 55 gallon was hiding. He was hanging onto a suction cup inside the tank and the top and the common didn't see him. So I saw him terrified up there, so I took him out, put him in a plastic bag and started floating him in my betta's 4g tank. I've had the betta in there for about four days. The betta built a bubble nest two days ago, so he is probably angry about the shrimp. He is eyeing him through the bag and watching him. I think if I let the shrimp out, the betta will kill it also.

I don't want my shrimp to be eaten alive, and I have nowhere else for him to go. Do you think it would be better for me to just put him in cold water for a couple minutes so he will freeze?

Your fancies might not be able to catch the other, but if you are really worried then I wouldn't freeze him.

You may be able to take your shrimp back to the pet shop?

just rearrange the betta tank or remove the betta temperaraly my betta is aggressive but I took him out when I got the white cloud minnows and he doesn't bother them now because the tank is different

I would put the shrimp in the betta tank. They are surprisingly fast, and at least it will have a chance. It has no chance if you freeze it. :(

I don't have any ghost shrimp but have been thinking about it for at least a good month or so. I love Gcourtney's suggestion. That's what I would do if we ever get ghost shrimp. I would take the betta out, rearrange the tank inside, and let the ghost shrimp make themselves at home for an hr. before you put the betta back in. (this is what we did with my daughter's pet rats. cleaned their cage, took out the old residents, put in the new rats, then put back the rats we had) :) ha ha ha

I had shrimp I kept unsuccessfully in my betta tank. Do not put him in there. Your betta will most likely wait for it to molt and then eat it while it's soft and vounerable. Bring it back to the pet store if you want to give it a better chance OR make a shrimp only tank. :(

Okay, I built him a little house only he can fit in. Found a little water bottle around 0.5 litres, put aquarium silicone on it, sprinkled gravel all over it then put some java moss on it. Looks like a cave, should work well.

Drained the tank completely as well and refilled it. The betta's bubble nest was destroyed and the shrimp was added in. The shrimp doesn't fear the betta and the betta has swam past him and not nipped him yet or acted aggressive. Now that his bubble nest is gone he probably won't be as aggressive as he would've been.

Good luck hun, I wish you the best :heart keep a VERY close eye out on the shrimp ok? My betta took two weeks before he decided to eat him so just stay super attentive to your tank just in case

Barnacles, I've gone ahead and moved this thread over to "Snails & Crustaceans" for you.

I wish you the best of luck with your little ghost shrimp in his new home. Hopefully he'll be fine with your betta. Just make sure he has lots of hiding places, the cave is a good start, so are plants if you have some. :)

You can always try a mini shrimp tank if things don't work out. I'm researching about them. You just need a tank 1-2 gallons, a ton of plants and 1-3 shrimp should be OK. I found this

and I'm hoping to try something like this too.

So that is other possibility if things don't work out.