Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Aquarium light keeps flickering and doesn't stay on.

This started yesterday morning when I tried to turn the light of my aquarium on, and it keeps flickering and doesn't stay on completely, Today, I went out and bought a new light bulb and light starter to replace, hoping it would fix the problem, but no luck. I don't know what to do now since I am not good at fixing things at all, and don't want to pay for a new light hood. Any idea or suggestions?

I'm sorry but you are probably going to have to get a new hood. I'm not sure how you would fix the one you have but maybe someone else can give you better advice.

I'm sorry but you are probably going to have to get a new hood. I'm not sure how you would fix the one you have but maybe someone else can give you better advice.

Yep, your assumption is pretty much correct. It's time for a new hood.

Check the cord for damage, and check that the prongs of the bulb are connecting to the outlet when the bulb is in.

It would glow a little on both ends, then the whole bulb lights up for a split second, then goes black. And it keeps flashing and flickering like that for as long as I leave it on. Any ideas?

Is it a light built into a hood, or a separate light strip? Do you know what the brand is?

I don't think I can help you fix it, sadly, but I am curious what you have. I have a light with this problem and I haven't been able to fix it except to bang on it sometimes when it goes all flickery.

The light bulb is seperate from the hood. The original bulb that came with the hood and tank (from Craigslist) is Marineland, than I bought a new 24" Aqueon light bulb today. There's no name printed on the hood itself, but it came from the Top Fin 37 Gallon starter kit if that helps. I've just measured it and it's 30" long.

If it's fluorescent , then your ballast is bad. On some hoods, these can be replaced. Let me know the model and I'll find out.

It is fluorescent. It doesn't say the model # on the hood itself, but I was told that it's the one that came with the Top Fin 37 Gallon Starter Kit from Petsmart.

I double checked, Top Fin is Pet smarts in house brand and they don't sell replacement parts. You might try calling them or try getting them to swap it out in a store. Since it's their brand, they'll have some incentive to repair/replace it. Just don't tell them you got it second hand on craigslist :). Check your connections as other have mentioned, and if you end up buying another hood, check to see that the parts are replaceable. It will cost more up front, but you'll be able to keep it working forever.

Edited by tastyworms

I double checked, Top Fin is Pet smarts in house brand and they don't sell replacement parts. You might try calling them or try getting them to swap it out in a store. Since it's their brand, they'll have some incentive to repair/replace it. Just don't tell them you got it second hand on craigslist :).

Did you or anybody have any experience with getting a replacement or exchange from Petsmart? I've read that a couple of people were able to get their item swapped for a new one, but I have my doubts if Petsmart will actually does this to my hood since it was sold as a kit with the tank. The best thing I think they're going to do is try fixing it, or tell me to buy a new hood. But I'll try cleaning the hood up real well and tell them that I bought it new but lost the receipt but I don't know what they're going to say. Any ideas?

Edited by alvintran1998

You might be able to get a good deal on a hood. Don't know if you have a Pet Supplies Plus nearby, but I needed a hood for my 55 gallon and unfortunately they were all about $80 to $125. They had a sale and I got my hood for around $35 after I registered a store card with them.

Not much experience with Petsmart specifically, but I run a pet supply company and I know that customers have higher expectations for support of in house brands vs. 3rd party brands. When it comes to the Tastyworms brand products if I won't help a customer then they won't buy my store brand again, simple as that. Because no one else can help them. The alternative being "spend more money" it's worth a shot to get it repaired / replaced. Be as honest as you can with them. Say you got the starter kit and the lamp stopped working. You bought a new bulb at their store, it still doesn't work. What can you do to help me? Leave it open ended. It's not so easy to say "no" when someone doesn't ask a yes/no question.

Good luck!

-- Chris

If you are a regular customer of theirs and they see you in their store a lot perhaps you will have even better luck in replacing your item. (it's sad that they might not do this with all costumers) My daughther and I are regular customers at Petsmart and Petco and we have replaced items before for one reason or another with no problems. Just to let you know though, they will probably ask for a receipt and if you don't show one they will most likely want your telephone number so they can check it out on their computer. My daughter is the same age as you. The advice I would give her is, go into the store be polite and let them know what happened to your aquarium hood. If you do frequent the store a lot let them know. Tell him/her that you come in their store a lot and buy ????? and is always happy with your purchases but your having a big problem with this hood. Then let them ask you the questions they need from you. I don't think you have to tell them that it came from craigslist. But if they ask.....you might want to just say it came from a friend. ??? (I don't even want to say that to you because of your age. I'm sorry. I always tell my daughter to tell the truth.) Good luck to you. I hope you are able to get a new one...........by replacing it. :)

Could the problem be the wall outlet it self? Try another outlet to make sure it's not that?????

If you are a regular customer of theirs and they see you in their store a lot perhaps you will have even better luck in replacing your item. (it's sad that they might not do this with all costumers) My daughther and I are regular customers at Petsmart and Petco and we have replaced items before for one reason or another with no problems. Just to let you know though, they will probably ask for a receipt and if you don't show one they will most likely want your telephone number so they can check it out on their computer. My daughter is the same age as you. The advice I would give her is, go into the store be polite and let them know what happened to your aquarium hood. If you do frequent the store a lot let them know. Tell him/her that you come in their store a lot and buy ????? and is always happy with your purchases but your having a big problem with this hood. Then let them ask you the questions they need from you. I don't think you have to tell them that it came from craigslist. But if they ask.....you might want to just say it came from a friend. ??? (I don't even want to say that to you because of your age. I'm sorry. I always tell my daughter to tell the truth.) Good luck to you. I hope you are able to get a new one...........by replacing it. :)

Fortunately, I visit their store practically every weekend, and they even remember how many tanks and fish I have. One time, I wanted to buy an Oranda for my goldfish tank, and the employee there had her eyes wide open asking me how many tanks I have since I've bought from tropical to cichlid fish from that particular store. I hope it goes well, there's just the little issue of the hood coming from Criagslist.

Could the problem be the wall outlet it self? Try another outlet to make sure it's not that?????

I don't think so since I have tried another outlet as well and no luck.

Edited by alvintran1998

Not much experience with Petsmart specifically, but I run a pet supply company and I know that customers have higher expectations for support of in house brands vs. 3rd party brands. When it comes to the Tastyworms brand products if I won't help a customer then they won't buy my store brand again, simple as that. Because no one else can help them. The alternative being "spend more money" it's worth a shot to get it repaired / replaced. Be as honest as you can with them. Say you got the starter kit and the lamp stopped working. You bought a new bulb at their store, it still doesn't work. What can you do to help me? Leave it open ended. It's not so easy to say "no" when someone doesn't ask a yes/no question.

Good luck!

-- Chris

Thanks Chris, I guess I'll have to try my luck this weekend when I have time to go to the store. I just hope they're able to fix it. Fingers crossed if they'll actually exchange it.

Meanwhile, will my goldfish do fine without tank lights for a week?

Fortunately, I visit their store practically every weekend, and they even remember how many tanks and fish I have. One time, I wanted to buy an Oranda for my goldfish tank, and the employee there had her eyes wide open asking me how many tanks I have since I've bought from tropical to cichlid fish from that particular store. I hope it goes well, there's just the little issue of the hood coming from Criagslist.

Well that was a good try to try another outlet. Just don't indulge the craigslist information to them. If you have to.....tell them you got it from a friend. (if they see from computer that you did not buy it)

Well that was a good try to try another outlet. Just don't indulge the craigslist information to them. If you have to.....tell them you got it from a friend. (if they see from computer that you did not buy it)

I didn't even know they could fix items on site at their stores. What did you have items replaced for? And was it with or without receipt?

Yeah, Goldfish don't actually NEED the light :). It's just nice to have.

Unless she has live plants in the tank. I didn't know goldfish don't actually "need" lights. We do to see our pretty fish. :) ha ha Wouldn't it be healthier for the fish to have light? Perhaps you can ask for a new hood with lights for Christmas. If you have relatives always asking you for Christmas suggestions.........You can say, Petsmart Giftcards. Then you can tell them/him/her why. Just another idea> :) Edited by 4prettyfish

Yeah, Goldfish don't actually NEED the light :). It's just nice to have.

Unless she has live plants in the tank. I didn't know goldfish don't actually "need" lights. We do to see our pretty fish. :) ha ha Wouldn't it be healthier for the fish to have light? Perhaps you can ask for a new hood with lights for Christmas. If you have relatives always asking you for Christmas suggestions.........You can say, Petsmart Giftcards. They you can tell them/him/her why. Just another idea> :)

I fortunately don't have live plants in the tank, so that's good. Guess I'll have to wait until somebody asks me for some gift suggestions.

Long term they'll probably be healthier with some sort of light schedule, but your fish is not going to get sick and die if there is no light for a few weeks.