Sign in to follow this  
tastyworms

Bottom Sitting

Nothing constructive to add, just wanted to say I hope he gets better :flowers

Edited by smegypsiren

I think Helen just wants to get a better idea of what might be causing the problem.

Is he still bottom sitting, Chris? If so, I think it's time to do a salt dip.

He was when I left for work this morning. Was 45 mins late so I could change his water and such. Won't know anyting til tonight.

OK, if he is still sitting, then we will want to do a salt dip. Does he have an appetite?

OK, if he is still sitting, then we will want to do a salt dip. Does he have an appetite?

Don't know, I haven't fed him since yesterday. I was a little worried he ate too much. I will find out when I get home.

How does this salt dip thing work? What does it do? (point me to a thread if you have one).

Got a microscope on order, my fiance has an animal rehab foundation and she has been asking for one for months. It's unfortunately a two eye piece one so I don't know I'm going to be able to take pics through it.

Salt dips here are the equivalents of freshwater dips for the SW systems. They do exactly the same thing.

The reasons why I suggested a salt dips are:

1. The thought of constipation did cross my mind as well. I didn't jump to the dip last night because sometime if it's constipation, they will find relief after a day or so. If not, we can help them with some sort of laxative, of which a salt dip is one.

2. A salt dip is suggested also because it's part of sequence of tests one does when a fish is showing signs of bottom sitting. First you treat with mild salt and Prazi, because flukes are always the first suspect. Then, you go with a salt dip, because ectoparasites other than flukes are next. If those two do not offer significant resolution of the problem (and there are other signs), then we can conclude that it's internal, and must think about medicated food.

Salt dips are done with percentages anywhere from 1% to 3%. For this, I would go with 2%, which is 20 level teaspoons per gallon, OR 75.6 grams/gallon. The water needs to be dechlorinated, and the maximum time is 5 minutes. If the fish shows significant distress, such as tipping over to the side and having problems righting him/herself after that, remove immediately, regardless of how much time has passed.

it doesn't matter if we can't see anything via the microscope. more that you can. sometimes, when treatments aren't working, we might be dealing with a different parasite from the norm. i found this out the hard way. so, if when the microscope comes and if it comes in time (which i am sure it will) please microscope poop and slimecoat. then, you can discribe what you see to us, if anything and we can show you examples from our own findings or from the net.

I appreciate your assistance guys. TJ is giving me an emotional ride, that's for sure. So he's been sitting on the bottom for nearly 2 days, not moving, So I go and give him a little tiny piece of SG and he springs to life for 2 hours+ this evening. I raised the salt to .3% this morning when I did the 66% water change. I'm going to wait til tomorrow when I get the microscope to dip him. Mainly because he's so active right now, I'm afraid he'll hurt himself if I try to move him around.

That's fine :)

Let us hope that he was just a bit backed up.

I've scaled back his food intake a lot. I'm giving him about a quarter of what he was getting before. If I manage to get him out for a salt dip, I'll also try to weigh him so I can feed him more accurately.

Keep in mind that as a senior, you really want to scale back his food anyway because he doesn't really need to grow and grow. He'll stick around much longer this way.

Also, try the Repashy Super Greens. He can go vegan for a little while :rofl :rofl :rofl

So after fasting him for 24 hours and drastically cutting down his food intake tj is once again swimming normally and not bottom sitting.

There is a good chance that this was the problem all along. My family has a habit of feeding him when he looks hungry. Which is always....

I wrote in dry erase DO NOT FEED on the front of the tank and he's been improving since.

He now gets a quarter of the food he used to and I will continue that.

Salt is at point 3 still cause of fin rot. How long can I keep it that way safely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You can actually go for months on 0.3% without having issues with most fish, and will get problems with some. For now, I think it should be fine.

I'm glad he's better. :)

Thank you for your help Alex Helen Shannon and everyone else who pitched in. I will update the thread if there is any change. return return

Thank you also to the Jenny's

another change that I had the collected to factor in when I saw him bottom sitting was that he had recently been switched to silent green and the food quantity was much greater then the crisps he has been eating previously

Thank you for your help Alex Helen Shannon and everyone else who pitched in. I will update the thread if there is any change. return return

another change that I had the collected to factor in when I saw him bottom sitting was that he had recently been switched to silent green and the food quantity was much greater then the crisps he has been eating previously

The Jennys! :Jig: haha

I'm glad TJ is doing better!

The Jennys! :Jig: haha

I'm glad TJ is doing better!

:teehee

He's been back to his bottom sitting ways the last couple of days. He looks constipated to me, he's had a tiny piece of poo sticking out for a day now. We did manage to microscope a small piece and my fiance says she didn't see any parasites in it (she's a trained vet tech). I don't like the idea of pulling him out of the tank, cause I am afraid he'll freak out and hurt himself. What are my options for in tank laxatives?

Awe, poor old guy. Hope he recovers and lives out his older days problem free!

A pea or bean with a grain of epsom salt in it is the usual laxative provided. This can only be done if the fish hasn't presented signs of pineconing from the addition of salt as some fish have salt sensitivities.

A pea or bean with a grain of epsom salt in it is the usual laxative provided. This can only be done if the fish hasn't presented signs of pineconing from the addition of salt as some fish have salt sensitivities.

Am I using canned or fresh peas? I assume the normal green pea?

Yes a normal shelled green pea that is frozen or a shelled green bean. Beans have higher fiber and less sugar than peas. You nuke it for a few seconds in a bit of water. You can then shell the pea, mash it up add a grain of epsom and let the fish eat it. :)

I don't see why not. :)

I am wondering though if he isn't having some sort of internal infection. At this point, I think the constipated idea is the most viable, but I would go ahead and get some Metro-Meds, just to have on hand.

He eats repashy, I think he just had way too much.

At a loss honestly. No flukes or parasites in stool. Water is perfect and has been for 3 weeks now. No pine coning. No visible injuries except some tail rot.

Constipation seems to be the only thing left and he seems to fit those symptoms... The problems did seem to start when we switched to Sg. After 2 weeks. Sg us Whic is a much bulkier food then the crisps we used to feed him for 5 years.

I don't see why not.

I am wondering though if he isn't having some sort of internal infection. At this point, I think the constipated idea is the most viable, but I would go ahead and get some Metro-Meds, just to have on hand.

I've got powdered metro. I will have to weigh him though and get back to you