Sign in to follow this  
KrazE

Eheim Pro 3e 2078 problem

Hey everyone!

I finally joined today (posted a thread in the welcome forum!) and I thought I would post about a strange problem I am having.

Recently my Eheim has been misbehaving. The output is max setting with no change in flow, but instead of the 6 green lights, the bottom amber light just continues to flash as though it's either waiting to be programed, or it's in manual mode.

Even when I reset it to factory defaults, the problem remains.

I have checked absolutely everything! The lines are completely clear, there are no kinks, the hoses are not too long, there is no blockage, I have even tried running it without the floater in the output with no change.

I have emailed Eheim as they give no other way to get support for their products (that I can see or find - I'm in Canada), but I have heard nothing from them. The filter is only 13 months old, I ordered it October 28th 2011, so it shouldn't be failing already!

It has a 3 year warranty, so I want to make sure that I get the issue cleared up as soon as possible.

Anyone else with the 3e type models who knows what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

Oh also - all water parameters are perfect as always - the filter physically works fine with obvious full output flow, it's just this blinking light!

If you don't get an answer from Eheim, PM me with what you'd like me to tell them and I'll send it through my sales rep. Might be able to get a response faster that way.

I'm trying to understand what the amber blinking light is trying to tell me, and what I can do to fix it.

Their manual sucks, and I don't know if the blinking light means it's in manual mode (though it doesn't let me increase or decrease flow), or if it's stuck in some programming loop.

As I said, the filter appears to work just fine, and I wouldn't know otherwise unless I open the cabinet door & see the blinking.

After spending the $400+ on this thing, having the problem 13 months later is really disappointing.

If you don't get an answer from Eheim, PM me with what you'd like me to tell them and I'll send it through my sales rep. Might be able to get a response faster that way.

Since you're new here, let me introduce you to ^ Chris ^ from Tasty Worms, one of our fabulous sponsors. His customer service is excellent. Like he said, if no one can help you here, let him know. I'm certain he will get it taken care of! :D

Edited by fantailfan1

I sent an email over to my sales rep, will see if I can get anything out of them. :)

Thank you very much! :)

I was very disappointed to find out that most every link on the Eheim site went to 404s in Dutch (I think it was), so they really make it hard for people to find information, or even contact them!

Have you tried holding down the "S" button, then pressing it again quickly?

Yes, doesn't do anything; as I stated above, I've reset it numerous times to factory default as well which is max output on automatic, not manual mode either.

My rep emailed eheim sales this morning. Will let you know when I receive a response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried holding down the "S" button, then pressing it again quickly?

Yes, doesn't do anything; as I stated above, I've reset it numerous times to factory default as well which is max output on automatic, not manual mode either.

Hmmm...wish I was more familiar with this filter to help out. I only vaguely know the set up and operations of it, as my friend has the same one and he gave me a tutorial maybe a year ago.... Good luck. My guess is either you have too much filter media in it and it's sensing that it needs a "cleaning," or there's too much slack in the intake/output hose that causing it to sense an interference. Any of those sound plausible in your set up? Maybe you can take a picture how you have it set up. Also, maybe you can try to take out some media, stow it in a bucket, and run the filter with less media in it to see if it still flashes the amber service light. Just a few suggestions.

Thanks for the response; if you see the first post above, I've gone through everything. This only happened after a cleaning, which has been no different than any other time. Nothing about my set up changed in any way, it appears as though it's some sort of electronic failure of the system itself. The blinking amber light isn't covered in the manual for the filter. The amber light that is blinking is the same amber light that would be lit up steady if the filter was in manual mode, and I would be able to set the output - this cannot be done.

The filter only runs in max output and the only option I have is a full reset to factory defaults which does the normal shut down, restart, output is at max and blinking amber light.

Not sure how else to explain this problem, but I can tell you I am out of things to try unless Eheim can answer what the fault is as it's their filter.

Thanks for the response; if you see the first post above, I've gone through everything. This only happened after a cleaning, which has been no different than any other time. Nothing about my set up changed in any way, it appears as though it's some sort of electronic failure of the system itself. The blinking amber light isn't covered in the manual for the filter. The amber light that is blinking is the same amber light that would be lit up steady if the filter was in manual mode, and I would be able to set the output - this cannot be done.

The filter only runs in max output and the only option I have is a full reset to factory defaults which does the normal shut down, restart, output is at max and blinking amber light.

Not sure how else to explain this problem, but I can tell you I am out of things to try unless Eheim can answer what the fault is as it's their filter.

I see, sorry I couldn't be of any help. Hopefully Eheim will have the answer.

Kraze, can you please email me at KokoChris@tastyworms.com and I will provide you with the direct phone extension of a tech support rep at Eheim who is apprised of your situation and can help you.

Update:

Major thank you for that contact information!!

I called yesterday morning & was informed that they were all in a meeting, so the girl that answered took my info & promised that someone would call me back in the early afternoon (they didn't). I received a call later this afternoon from them finally, and after a quick chat with the tech and some button pushing (the filter got worse - output never changed, but the electronic portion of it is non-responsive). Tech has determined that the board has failed, and after forwarding him my email receipt from the purchase in October 2011 (ordered online as they are not available locally) they will be shipping a new filter out to me as soon as they can.

Unfortunately it'll be at my cost to ship the faulty one back to them, but I forgot to ask if I have to tear down everything (hoses & all) and ship that, or if I keep both sets of hoses etc & just ship the empty unit with trays but nothing more.

Oh well.

I hope I don't have to repeat this process again in another year from now :wacko:

Glad to hear they were able to help you. Generally they expect back a complete unit. Meaning replace the main unit, and send them back all the new trays and hoses that came in the box. Definitely keep your old trays and hoses cause that's just a pain to take apart... You can replace anything you want with the new stuff, just make sure they get back a complete set :).

In that case I see some new suction cups in my future too; they can have the olds ones that don't hold very well anymore lol

Just to add an update:

I received another call from Eheim on the 18th to inform me that they don't actually have a filter in stock, but just the portion of the top of the filter that contains the board, and I would be required to take apart the top of my filter to replace that piece. I was promised the arrival for Thursday the 20th, but Friday the 21st at the latest; I have not received the part yet.

I did ask if this was going to void any further warranty because now I have to rebuild the top portion of the filter myself, and was assured that it would not void it, but I'm not feeling a lot of trust at this point since it took until the 18th for them to contact me with the new information even though the expectation was that it would already be on it's way to me.

I'm starting to get very worried that the filter will outright fail before I finally even get the part to do the replacement; even worse, I'm starting to worry that they are going to call me yet again and inform me that there was yet some other issue, and they cannot do anything until after the start of the new year as they have to order it from Germany (it's what he said before, it takes them 3 weeks to get filters/parts as they have to order it from Germany).

I've upped my water changes now because I don't think the filter is actually working to the full potential any more; I've been getting some .25 ammonia readings in my tank when I have always had 0.

I'm not a happy Eheim owner at all.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I will definitely steer people clear of the electronic models. Not much except seals that go wrong with the normal ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

So... I got the top portion of the filter replacement - and when I mean top portion, I mean a stripped version.

There were no rubber gaskets on it at all, a piece of the impeller was missing, and the red handle/button was also missing.

So, after stripping stuff from my top piece & putting it on the new top piece, the electronics work... sort of.

The same problem is there with the new top piece right before it went to just the amber light, and then total board failure.

I decided to make a terrible quality (well, I can't help that lol) edited video and sent the link to the contact that I have been dealing with at Eheim to get answers.

There is no reason for the continued problems, and slowly but surely, Eheim is losing my future business.

Here is the video... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

http://youtu.be/jD9PSk6ofow