How often do your nerites lay eggs?

soupmonster

My surviving horned nerite (the other one died) must be quite healthy. She's laid a path of eggs all over my tank for the first time, and WOW they really bug the heck outta me. Luckily, my tiger nerite has never laid any. This makes me wonder...

How often do your nerites lay eggs?

What do you guys do to scrape the eggs off the corners of your tank? Where the sealant is... I don't want to remove the sealant.

Also, does anybody know how to distinguish males and females outside of mating time?

To be honest my fish always ate the eggs so I rarely even saw them, and when I did they were gone within hours!

You could try removing them by gently wiping with a food safe cloth or piece of filter wool maybe? that shouldnt harm the sealant :)

Sadly I dont know how to sex them!

Edited by Lucerne

They lay them often!! :yikes

I've read they lay more eggs when food is abundant.

The only way I know how to tell male vs female is the female lays the eggs. :rofl

Haha oh no! Just one little snail is making me scrub a lot. I guess I will have to keep track of who lays eggs and give away the females in the future. Or who is piggybacking when I get more snails.

My LFS said the same about the food... but they also said all nerites were hermaphrodites, so I didn't believe them lol. Maybe I'll get more snails to lower the food abundancy AKA eat more of the window-induced algae. LOL

To be honest my fish always ate the eggs so I rarely even saw them, and when I did they were gone within hours!

You could try removing them by gently wiping with a food safe cloth or piece of filter wool maybe? that shouldnt harm the sealant :)

Sadly I dont know how to sex them!

Whoa! Were they goldfish that ate the eggs? I hope my goldfish learn to do the same. It would make me super happy! (And I'd keep more female snails in the future!) Edited by soupmonster

The nerite eggs are hard to get off, and my fish don't eat them. I scrub them off the front and side, and leave the rest. The eventually disappear. My snails lay more of them in my bigger tanks, the snail in the betta tanks lays a few and the snail in the glofish tank doesn't seem to lay any.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

The nerite eggs are hard to get off, and my fish don't eat them. I scrub them off the front and side, and leave the rest. The eventually disappear. My snails lay more of them in my bigger tanks, the snail in the betta tanks lays a few and the snail in the glofish tank doesn't seem to lay any.

Hmm okay. I guess that supports the more food theory. Big tank --> more algae/food. I think I'll try getting a few more snails. The two haven't made much of a dent in the algae either lol. But they've grown HUGE already.