Vegetable training with Repashy Soilent Green

Narny105

I have been having trouble getting my ryukin to start eating blanched spinach and other vegetables, so I decided to try teaching him to recognize blanched spinach as food by using repashy.

For three weeks, I have been slicing thin scrapes of repashy so they resemble blanched spinach, and placing them among some spinach inside the tank and all three of my fish willingly ate the repashy, and some of the spinach. Since goldfish are able to smell the food, I was worried that when I took the repashy out and only used the vegetables, they would not be interested.

I kept the amount of repashy and spinach constant for the three weeks feeding spinach twice a week, and around 10 minutes ago I have just added spinach and no repashy. All three fish ate the spinach in the end which was good to see! They were a little hesitant for a while but they got into it eventually. Turns out the sight of food plays just as much of an important roll as the smell, and using the repashy to train him has worked better than I expected!

The slices can also be scrapes out of the bowl the repashy is microwaved in. Here's what the repashy looks like prior to adding among the vegetables (this is scraped out of the bowl):

6978_504451819575784_1780094240_n.jpg

(The dog likes it too!)

The only issue I had was the repashy breaking apart and falling to the bottom of the tank, however keeping the slices thicker where they are attached helped keep them together with the spinach!

I thought it would be worth while sharing this option for those of you who are having trouble getting your goldfish to recognise things such as spinach as food. It would be interesting to hear if others have the same outcome or not :)

Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by Narny105

That's really neat, and good thinking on your part! :thumb:

I also feed my fish the little scraps of Soilent Green left over from the bowl it was microwaved in, lol. I figure, better put it to use rather than just waste it! :)

That's really cool, and such a great idea! I bought the repashy because the only vegetable my hogs were willing to eat, was peas. So now, I've given up. lol! All their veggies can be whatever is in the gel.

Sooo, this might be a dumb question, but why not shred the spinach and put it right in the Repashy?

When I made my own gel food, I pureed all of my vegetables (peas, spinach, pumpkin, etc) for them. however I want them to recognise that blanched spinach is food since it takes a while to eat and is great for digestion, so while it helps prevent constipation, it also gives them something to do for a while. It's personal choice whether or not you want to do it this way :)

Repashy really doesn't need anything added into it, since it is a very balanced diet. The most I add is probiotics :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that if you buy the Birds Eye frozen chopped spinach, cut enough from the block as you require, defrost and squeeze between your finger tips when feeding, the goldfish go crazy trying to get at it. This includes Ryukins, Orandas, Ranchus, Butterflys and Pearl Scales ranging from 50mm (2 inches) to 200mm (8 inches). The smaller goldfish are a bit reluctant at first so you need to mash it finer and then they go beserk on the spinach.

The 250gm packet is about $1.50 AU and last a fair while, if you can stop your family from eating it, personally I hate spinach and give my share to the goldfish.

The lazy man's spinch feeding system. Regards Paul