Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Goldfish Nipping Another Goldfish

Barnacles, the whole point is that you would have seen the healing WITHOUT the Melafix. The key is to keep the water clean.

But their water is clean anyways, why not just speed up the recovery?

Barnacles, the whole point is that you would have seen the healing WITHOUT the Melafix. The key is to keep the water clean.

And you are doing that how? Let me be very blunt, Melafix is not a miracle fin grower. It does have its place in the arsenal of treatment tools, but before all else, GOOD CLEAN WATER FREE OF TOXINS. Here is where we were telling you that you need to make improvements. 1.0 ppm ammonia is a very very terrible place to start to promote any sort of healing. The water is not "clean" when you allowed your tank to build up 1.0 ppm ammonia.

And you are doing that how? Let me be very blunt, Melafix is not a miracle fin grower. It does have its place in the arsenal of treatment tools, but before all else, GOOD CLEAN WATER FREE OF TOXINS. Here is where we were telling you that you need to make improvements. 1.0 ppm ammonia is a very very terrible place to start to promote any sort of healing. The water is not "clean" when you allowed your tank to build up 1.0 ppm ammonia.

I said I had 0 ammonia and less than 10 nitrates just recently.

And when you improved the water quality, the fins started to heal. It's not a coincidence.

However, if you want to attribute that to the Melafix, by all means go ahead.

I said I had 0 ammonia and less than 10 nitrates just recently.

It's really good that ammonia is now 0ppm, that means you are doing the right thing now. But previously, your fish was in 1.0 ppm of ammonia, which is considered poor water quality and can contribute to illness, including things like fin rot, and retard the healing process. When a fish has been in toxic water previously, providing them with good pristine water conditions is basically like a form of medicine, it may feel like you are not doing anything, but it is the equivalent to a person breathing polluted air versus clean air. The clean water really helps along the healing process and in most cases additional medicine is not needed.

You'll find many forums out there are quick to throw a medication at a sick fish. We are more conservative here because in our experience a conservative approach works and is less damaging to the fish in the long run. Melafix is certainly not the worst thing to expose your fish to, but there are medications that are readily recommended on other forums when they are not necessary that can do more damage than good to a fish. If a medication is not necessary, why use it?

Here's a way to look at this particular situation:

Tears in a fish's fins from something like being caught in a net or nipped by other fish are like what happens when you get a cut. Sure, you could go and grab the Triple Antibiotic Ointment out of the cupboard and coat the cut in it, then put on your bandaid and off you go. But a cut will heal without the ointment if it is just kept clean, won't it? You don't need the ointment, but you are going to want the bandaid to keep debris away.

Think of that in fish terms: Melafix is the ointment and clean water is the bandaid. So you don't need the Melafix when you have the clean water, and your fish's fins will heal just fine.

Plus, would you want to breathe in medicine when you don't have to? Neither do your fish.