Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Goldfish Nipping Another Goldfish

Okay, drilled 10 holes in the bottom and 6 on the side... the drill bit size is 1/4". So 16 1/4" holes. Their is good water flow, because when I put it in the tank, it filled up in about a second.

Edited by Barnacles

Is the container square or round? (I should have asked in the beginning.)

If it's square, I would like an equal amount of holes on each side. (6 or more) You need to be able to see all the way through the container through container's holes no matter which way you look in.

If it's round, just make sure that you can see all the way through the container all around.

Whichever one it is, just think of how a colander looks.

This is kinda when photos would be nice... is your mom home yet?

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Is the container square or round? (I should have asked in the beginning.)

If it's square, I would like an equal amount of holes on each side. (6 or more) You need to be able to see all the way through the container through container's holes no matter which way you look in.

If it's round, just make sure that you can see all the way through the container all around.

Whichever one it is, just think of how a colander looks.

This is kinda when photos would be nice... is your mom home yet?

It's round, but sorry I had to go to bed here. It's midnight and I have to get up at 7AM for school. He looks so funny now.. he keeps swimming against the sides of the circular container, so he keeps spinning himself in circles around the tank.

Edited by Barnacles

Completely agree! Fish keeping always comes with it's troubling times, but working through them makes the hobby worth while! :) And you're doing a great job trying to sort things out for your fish :)

He's probably very confused by being restricted to a little space and that is why he is swimming around- he should settle down. Is the container transparent? The more holes the better, so if you do have some time I would put another 10 around the sides to be on the safe side. I am mainly worried about the water getting polluted and not flowing through enough.

How's he doing today?

Edited by koko
internet etiquette and safety, Dont know if OP would take offence of that.

How's he doing today?

He is still looking playful and likes to swim in circles inside his container. He is laying down right now. I keep the light dim, I think it's better so he can rest. Ammonia is around 0.1 ppm, nitrates at around 1 ppm.

I got rid of my albino cories and silver hatchets, someone from Craig's List just came and got them around half an hour ago. I unhooked the heater and took it out, but the water is still about 80 degrees. Should I wait for it to cool down to room temperature which is about 74 degrees, or put the common in there now after I float him for about an hour? Is it too hot for him?

How's he doing today?

He is still looking playful and likes to swim in circles inside his container. He is laying down right now. I keep the light dim, I think it's better so he can rest. Ammonia is around 0.1 ppm, nitrates at around 1 ppm.

I got rid of my albino cories and silver hatchets, someone from Craig's List just came and got them around half an hour ago. I unhooked the heater and took it out, but the water is still about 80 degrees. Should I wait for it to cool down to room temperature which is about 74 degrees, or put the common in there now after I float him for about an hour? Is it too hot for him?

Don't put him in there yet. I've sent a message to a mod in hopes that they will be able to decide the best way to do this.

In the new tank that the common is going into. You need to test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and make sure they are 0,0, under 20. The pH should be within a 0.2 range and the temp should be within a 2 degree F range from the tank the common is currently in.

I suggest you test your water and report back before moving your common over.

Can you please inform us of what is now in the tank that the common is going into (depth of gravel, ornaments, any fish or invertebrates)

Thank you very much for rehoming your fish so your moor can heal :)

In the new tank that the common is going into. You need to test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and make sure they are 0,0, under 20. The pH should be within a 0.2 range and the temp should be within a 2 degree F range from the tank the common is currently in.

I suggest you test your water and report back before moving your common over.

Can you please inform us of what is now in the tank that the common is going into (depth of gravel, ornaments, any fish or invertebrates)

Thank you very much for rehoming your fish so your moor can heal :)

That tank was very understocked, it was a 55 gallon with three silver hatchets and three albino corydoras. After two months of being in there with no water change, it had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. So I changed around 30% of the water just because I was really bored and figured why not. That was like two weeks ago.

The water is now 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 7 nitrates. The tank the common is currently in is about 74 degrees, and the 55 gallon is about 80 degrees. The pH is the same.

There is about 1" of sand, a small piece of drift wood with some java fern, amazon sword, a moss ball, a tiny bit of duckweed, and I think thats it. Theres also two ghost shrimp, the goldfish will probably just eat them if he catches them. They usually hide under the driftwood and in the plants. I only see them every couple of days, they come up for a flake.

To cool your water down faster you can perform a partial water change with a cooler temperature water. I think you will be alright to place the common once it gets within 2 degrees of its current temperature. :)

To cool your water down faster you can perform a partial water change with a cooler temperature water. I think you will be alright to place the common once it gets within 2 degrees of its current temperature. :)

I would but I ran out of dechlorinator and can't buy more until tomorrow. It should cool a few degrees overnight.

So what have you decided as the homes for which fish? Also, could you please upload some pics or a video of the moor so we can evaluate the extent of the injuries? Thanks.

So what have you decided as the homes for which fish? Also, could you please upload some pics or a video of the moor so we can evaluate the extent of the injuries? Thanks.

Sorry for late reply.

The tropical fish are gone, and the common has been living alone in the 55g since yesterday. He has lots more swimming space and he darts from one end to the other so I think it was better for him anyways. The black moor and fantail are in the 29g together, they will be sharing that tank. Now they eat food evenly instead of the common getting 75% of it and the black moor and fantail have to split the little pieces.

The black moor hasn't shown any fin regrowth yet, the water is still clean. Sorry, can't post any pictures right now, but I'll try to tell you what I know. His pectorals are almost completely gone. He probably has about 1/3 of them left. Ventrals also have minor damage, dorsal has minor damage too from getting caught in the net, being twisted, etc. He only has about half of his caudal, the bottom half is pretty much shredded near where it meets his body.. I think he needs the Melafix now.

Don't put the melafix in until a mod tells you to, alright?

The Melafix may help, but the one thing that is best for the fish is extremely clean water. See if you can do daily water changes.

Don't put the melafix in until a mod tells you to, alright?

The Melafix may help, but the one thing that is best for the fish is extremely clean water. See if you can do daily water changes.

My mom is going to the store to get me dechlorinator in a bit, I'll change 5 gallons then since I just changed about 25 gallons two days ago.

What are your tank parameters? I remember that you have ammonia, so the answer is no. :(

What are your tank parameters? I remember that you have ammonia, so the answer is no. :(

About.. 0.2 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 11 nitrates. Maybe just does it for today and tomorrow, then do a water change?

Without a picture it is hard to determine if fungus has started growing on the torn fin. Since the torn fin is recent, keeping your water clean by changing it anytime ammonia or nitrite is present with allow the fish to heal itself.

To give you some clarity. Melafix has tea tree oil in it as the main ingredient. Therefore keeping water clear of toxins is still your best bet :)

Sorry for late reply.

The tropical fish are gone, and the common has been living alone in the 55g since yesterday. He has lots more swimming space and he darts from one end to the other so I think it was better for him anyways. The black moor and fantail are in the 29g together, they will be sharing that tank. Now they eat food evenly instead of the common getting 75% of it and the black moor and fantail have to split the little pieces.

The black moor hasn't shown any fin regrowth yet, the water is still clean. Sorry, can't post any pictures right now, but I'll try to tell you what I know. His pectorals are almost completely gone. He probably has about 1/3 of them left. Ventrals also have minor damage, dorsal has minor damage too from getting caught in the net, being twisted, etc. He only has about half of his caudal, the bottom half is pretty much shredded near where it meets his body.. I think he needs the Melafix now.

you just made my goldfish hear happy... Thank you for making room for them.... now on to clean water :)

Do another water change of 60% then test again after 4 hours for us :please

Sorry for late reply.

you just made my goldfish hear happy... Thank you for making room for them.... now on to clean water :)

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I was on another forum because I was so desperate for help. They advised me to change 50% of the water, which I did. Now that the common is out of the 29 gallon, the filter can process the ammonia. I had 0 ammonia and less than 10 nitrates. So, they advised that I begin dosing melafix. It's the second day now and he is already looking better. His dorsal fin has almost completely regrown. His caudal has also regrown noticeably, and I haven't noticed any of the pectorals growing back yet. I will give it more time.

Edited by Barnacles

Sorry for late reply.

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I was on another forum because I was so desperate for help. They advised me to change 50% of the water, which I did. Now that the common is out of the 29 gallon, the filter can process the ammonia. I had 0 ammonia and less than 10 nitrates. So, they advised that I begin dosing melafix. It's the second day now and he is already looking better. His dorsal fin has almost completely regrown. His caudal has also regrown noticeably, and I haven't noticed any of the pectorals growing back yet. I will give it more time.

Glad you got the help you needed. Sorry we werent fast enough for ya :(

Glad hes doing better :) Congrats :)

Barnacles, the whole point is that you would have seen the healing WITHOUT the Melafix. The key is to keep the water clean.

Clean water is the best treatment. Adding treatments into the tank is not the answer for everything. Save the medication for when you may need it. It is not necessary to be added into the tank at this point, and it may not need to be added. :)

Let the fish have clean water without any medications. They would prefer it!