Goldfish Nipping Another Goldfish

Barnacles

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't get it out, can you cut the netting around the fin? Be very careful though.

Scissors aren't working very good to cut the net.. even if I do, he will still have a big piece of netting stuck in his fin.

I'm trying to cut it but hes flopping around everywhere.. I can't.. how can I euthanize him, there is really nothing I can do anymore. His fins are all frayed and shredded, hes stuck in a net, and he keeps making it worse by twisting himself up.

Cut the net. The piece that is stuck can stay stuck for a little bit. It actually may work its way off on its own.

You do not need to euthanize him, so calm down.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Yes, the main thing is to cut it to get him untangled and so he can calm down a little. It's just to get him out of the current position he is in at the moment. If your parents are able to help, cut it with a knife (not near the fish, around the netting), then upload some pictures of the current issue with the netting and we can see how it can be fully removed.

Edited by Narny105

I got the net cut.. he is laying at the bottom looking like he is about to die.. should I just put him out of his misery?

Also I couldn't fill the tank back up yet, someone asked for my tap PH and I said 6.6, still waiting for a response on that.

He is in no state at all to be considering euthanising. That would have been a very stressful ordeal for you and the fish, and all he needs is a little time to calm down. In the mean time, if there is still netting attached, please take the opportunity to upload some pictures so we can help you with removing the rest :)

Don't think about euthanizing any animal when you yourself are stressed, especially if it is for something like a superficial injury. There is absolutely no need for this kind of overreacting.

'Cause Alex gave you the OK, go ahead and do a 100% water change. We need that super clean water for your moor to heal.

Thank you for the photo :)

Lets give him some time to de-stress, then we can think about ways to remove the net. I can't really see how it is tangled on the fins, but it if got on there, it can be removed :) We may need some more pictures (or even a video) once he starts to move to see how it has tangled on. If you can, get some pictures close up of the fin around the netting

Edited by Narny105

I would guess he's laying on the bottom because the net is still around him. Perhaps you could give him a little rest and then try to get the remainder of the net off of him?

Good luck! Take a few deep breaths too. :)

Edit: posted at same time as Narny

Edited by fantailfan1

It's a very very small piece of his fin, it's very thin and goes through one of the net holes, but he really got it tangled on there and it I think it would literally have to be ripped out of his fin.

EDIT: He just swam through the Aqueon water changer while it was letting in water, and it blew the net right off!!!

Edited by Barnacles

It's a very very small piece of his fin, it's very thin and goes through one of the net holes, but he really got it tangled on there and it I think it would literally have to be ripped out of his fin.

EDIT: He just swam through the Aqueon water changer while it was letting in water, and it blew the net right off!!!

The Aqueon water changer saves the day! :rockon

Now some new pics without the net on would be helpful. :)

Okay in a couple minutes.. I was too busy cheering that I forgot to turn off the water changer and it overflowed all over my carpet..

Edit: crap.. also just noticed the power strip is wet form the flooding... I shut it off... when is it safe to turn on?

Edited by Barnacles

Yay!

[edit] I did that recently too. I have to admit I just dried it off and plugged things back in. But if you want to be on the safe side go ahead and just plug the filter into the wall where the power strip was plugged in and let everything else dry off.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

If you have wet a power board you can use a blow dryer to dry the inside, then let it dry out completely for a few days before plugging back in for use. In the mean time I would use a new power board. Plugs can easily be dried with blow dryer as well and plugged back in once they are dry.

If you have wet a power board you can use a blow dryer to dry the inside, then let it dry out completely for a few days before plugging back in for use. In the mean time I would use a new power board. Plugs can easily be dried with blow dryer as well and plugged back in once they are dry.

I can't buy one right now though.

That's ok, dry it with a hairdryer for now and make sure it is completely dry. I don't recommend you dry it then plug it back in straight away, as that is a big safety issue. It's best to let it dry out for a day or more along with blow drying it.

As suggested, the filter is really the main thing you need running, so plug that into the wall socket. Lights are not needed.