Pretty sure he's not dead...

BurningIvy

Hi everyone, I told you about my two snails a little while back and I'm just curious about a few snailey things. Can snails hibernate or just not come out of the shell at all? I ask because Thad hasn't moved in days or come out of his shell for that matter. Guss on the other hand scoots all over the place. Is it possible he's sleeping? I am fairly certain he isn't dead because the water isn't foul and he is tightly in his shell. Anybody know what's up?

Snails will often have periods of time inside there shells; it's nothing out of the ordinary :) My apple snail could spend a week or more just floating inside his shell. I am assuming these are either nerites or apple snails?

Things to keep an eye on is the tanks temperature and pH. Snail species each handle temperatures differently, and for some species, temperatures that are too cold or too hot will send them into hibernation which is perfectly natural; just a lot easier to influence in a controlled aquarium environment.

• Supporter

a pretty accurate way to test is to see if there is any resistance to the trap door. if it's loose, and you pull on it a little (and very gently), should the snail not immeidately pull it shut, then there is a problem

Trumpet snails seems to hibernate a lot more than my apple snails ever did... Mine have been alive for over two years now.... I thought they werent even supposed to live that long! :rofl And now they are having a millin babies. The babues seem a lot more active than the big parent ones are, but I do catch them out of their shells quite often. As long as they don't stink when you smell them and as already said about them being very tightly closed then they are fine :)

He's definitely in there good. I just put a heater on him so maybe he'll warm up and realize he can move. =)

EDIT well not on him but in with him haha

Edited by BurningIvy

Sadly, it is confirmed that Thadius is dead. I don't know what happened but I do know he never seemed right from day one. He never came out of his shell (at all) and last night I changed his water and he floated right out of his shell

=( Rip Thad.

Edited by BurningIvy

I've had several snails over the years, but the biggest to survive my goldfish thinking they were food was my apple snail named Speedy.

When I did have snails, I always had a cuttle bone in the tank for the calcium for their shells, but it was the goldfish wanting escargot that would lead to their demise.

I'm sorry! :( I still miss my yellow apple snail that I had 3 years ago. He was huge and kept sneaking out the tank, I'd find him in the strangest places. One day while climbing down the wall to make his escape, he fell and smashed his shell. That really sucked.

I'm sorry! :( I still miss my yellow apple snail that I had 3 years ago. He was huge and kept sneaking out the tank, I'd find him in the strangest places. One day while climbing down the wall to make his escape, he fell and smashed his shell. That really sucked.

Glad to see you're back. I missed you!

Sorry about everyones snails. :( I'd love to get an apple snail, when I get a bigger tank.

Glad to see you're back. I missed you!

Sorry about everyones snails. :( I'd love to get an apple snail, when I get a bigger tank.

:thanks