Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

The Butterflies

Here are some top-view and side-view photos of them.

IMG_3114WM.jpg

IMG_3115WM.jpg

IMG_3117WM.jpg

IMG_3128WM.jpg

IMG_3131WM.jpg

IMG_3133WM.jpg

IMG_3135WM.jpg

IMG_3145WM.jpg

IMG_3154WM.jpg

IMG_3161WM.jpg

IMG_3166WM.jpg

IMG_3169WM.jpg

IMG_3170WM.jpg

Telling secrets?

IMG_3178WM.jpg

Even though I haven't been able to tell the gender of either fish yet, I've already started thinking of the white one as female and the red/white one as male. I don't know why; I think their body shapes just strike me as such! I tried looking at their vents, but the plastic tub offers a pretty clouded side-view and their anal fins are very close together, covering up their tiny little vents too well for me to get a good view. In time I'll handle them to check their genders, but right now I want to keep handling to a minimum until I'm sure they're fully settled in and de-stressed from their long journey to get here.

I really need to decide on names for them! I have tons of ideas, but haven't settled on the right names yet.

Edited by Sakura

Awesome flutterbys! Holly and Jolly? Comit and Cupid? Mistle and toe? :D

They are gorgeous! I love the "Telling Secrets" picture. :)

They do look adorable!

I still cant believe how cute the red and whites markings are, and the pure white is really special too. I cant wait to see them against your painted aquarium and under lighting - exciting!

Edited by Lucerne

I can't get over the coloring of the orange and white one. That "pattern" is just awesome :D

I didn't realize you got these two beauties too! Are they going to go in with Clover and Calisto?

I do love the all white one so much and the red and white ones coloring is quite unusual and very pretty :)

I am looking forward to watching them grow and thrive in your care :) they will be going in the 55 right?

Very pretty fish. Congratulations. :)

I just :heart the color/pattern on the red and white! They are just a fabulous pair, Sakura. :D

Thanks for the pics.

They are gorgeous! Congrats on your new additions :)

they're very cute :heart

Adorable. Looking forward to seeing where they are going to be living. With or without Clover and Callisto. :idont

Aw, they are so tiny compared to your previous butterflies, and so adorable.

How is the white one doing? You mentioned he/she was lethargic because of the shipping. He must be doing tons better now.

I agree with Fang that the orange/white pattern is pretty awesome.

I love the white one hun :thumb:

Super cute babies! :) I can't wait to see them in their permanent tank. Let the growing commence. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! :D

I'm not quite sure where I'll put these two after QT. I'd like to put them in my 55 gallon tank, because I prefer to keep only one variety of goldfish per tank, and also because I'm going to have the butterflies on a different feeding schedule than the ryukins and that would be difficult with all of them in the same tank. But I'm not sure yet where in the house I have room for the 55 gallon. Plus the overflow box on that tank makes an awful gurgling noise that I haven't been able to fix- I need to take a look at that again. The overflow box drains too quickly and that's where the noise comes from, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Yes Alex, the white butterfly is doing much better now! There are a lot of details about how they're doing in my most recent blog post if anyone wants to hear more about them and their QT progress. :)

They are just too cute!

They are looking really good. The white fish could be "Pearl" because she's shiny like one. :) The coloring on the red and white is SO cool. Is that a black edging on the tail?

Very nice looking fishies!

They are so pretty :). How do you feed the younger ones differently? I know the amount is different but do you feed them more times through the day than the older ones?

Thanks guys! :D

They are so pretty :). How do you feed the younger ones differently? I know the amount is different but do you feed them more times through the day than the older ones?

Yep the younger fish should eat 2-3% of their body weight each day in several small meals split up throughout the day. Also the ryukins are super quick to find the food, whereas the butterflies always have a harder time. So keeping them with the ryukins would mean a lot of work to make sure everyone gets the right amount of food. But if I keep the butterflies separate, I can just drop in the food and let them find it without worrying that the ryukins will beat them to it.

How many fish are you at now, Sakura?

I just have four right now Locke. These two butterflies, my long tail ryukin Clover, and my broadtail ryukin Callisto.

They are looking really good. The white fish could be "Pearl" because she's shiny like one. :) The coloring on the red and white is SO cool. Is that a black edging on the tail?

Yeah, that one has a little bit of black on the tail! It's all going to fade away over time though, it's likely just the very last remnants of its fry coloring.