Going to start a pond... Preliminary plannings

LovelyChaos

I am very excited to say that I have gotten the ok to build an above ground pond at my Grandmothers house in San Diego. I will be moving back there in the very beginning of January and renting a room from her. This month will be all about the planning of the pond. Next month will be about acquiring all my supplies (:

I have some preliminary planning to do. I am planning to build a stock tank pond with either a 150 gallon Rubbermaid, a 160 gallon Tuff Stuff, or a 250 gallon Laguna. Obviously my first pick is the 250 gallon, or the 160 gallon, but the rubbermaid is a fall back and I know that is something I can readily get. (There is a 90 dollar Laguna basin that is KILLING me cause it is too far away >.< ) I will be trying to get the 250 gallons, if possible. If not I will see if I can't special order the 160 gallon from Tractor Supply.

But for these questions, assume I will be using the 150 gallon rubbermaid.

Here are my preliminary questions...

I have been reading the pond forum all night! My first question is about the San Diego weather. It has made it to 115F in the area I will be living in. This will be a fancy goldfish pond, and needs to be able to hold 5-7 fancies. They are ryukin, orandas, ranchu, and lionheads (possibly). What affect will the heat have on the pond and fish? I am going to be trying to put it somewhere it will get shade. How long does it need to be in the sun, if at all? If it was in mostly shade would that affect algae growth? This will affect the placement of the pond. Also, during the winter it can get into the 30's at night. Should I be worried about the pond freezing at all? If so, will the moving water prevent that?

What size tub would the filtration have to be in? I have seen some conflicting answers. I have seen some threads say 10% of the ponds capacity, and some others saying it could be less, because the 10% is the standard for koi. I remember reading that the pond needs to be filtered 2-3 times over per hour. Is that correct? If not how much should the filter turn over? I will be building one similar to the examples posted by Shakaho. I just want to make sure I have my info correct before I start planning the design of the filter (:

What are the stocking levels, and what kind of work am I going to be looking at doing with my current stocking prediction? I can easily change 10% a week, even more if needed. We have lots of plants that would looove to have fish water. If the 150 gallon is not suitable, what would be an appropriate stocking level for it?

I might have more questions, but those are probably going to be more on the mechanics of the pond. All I know is I am super excited and when I get excited I become impatient and miss tons of details :rofl So thank you in advance for reading (:

I'm so excited for you! Good luck on your pond! :heart

Thank you!! It will be an exciting project (: I already have TONS of ideas!! I will be spamming this site with questions and pictures like crazy when I actually get to build the thing :rofl

I can't really help you, but I know it'll turn out great :)

Please keep us updated with pics ;)

I'll be waiting with great anticipation to see how it turns out. :theater:

I'll be waiting with great anticipation to see how it turns out. :theater:

Ditto!

Oh you guys will be the first to see the progress :rofl I will be starting on it asap and as weather permits. I wish I was in San Diego by now so I could start it right now!! :rofl It is so exciting and I can't wait to start and share with you all (:

Hi. Congrats.

Are you going to bury this tub? I assume so.

Ive never had fancies and know nothing about them so i cant tell you how they will handle the heat.

I can tell you that that small of a tub will get very hot, especially if it is not shaded.

My pump turns my pond over once per hour. I have a good amount of plants and what i would consider a moderate amount of filtration, including a UV light. My pond has always stayed crystal clear.

I sucked out about 1/5 of the water in my pond all year. I also topped it off a number of times due to evaporation. The water has stayed very clean all year.

Just an fyi, i have seen a lot of the preformed ponds and the pond liners on clearance at lowes and home depot recently. Tractor supply does have some sweet tubs. I think i saw a 300 gallon there.

Hi. Congrats.

Are you going to bury this tub? I assume so.

Ive never had fancies and know nothing about them so i cant tell you how they will handle the heat.

I can tell you that that small of a tub will get very hot, especially if it is not shaded.

My pump turns my pond over once per hour. I have a good amount of plants and what i would consider a moderate amount of filtration, including a UV light. My pond has always stayed crystal clear.

I sucked out about 1/5 of the water in my pond all year. I also topped it off a number of times due to evaporation. The water has stayed very clean all year.

Just an fyi, i have seen a lot of the preformed ponds and the pond liners on clearance at lowes and home depot recently. Tractor supply does have some sweet tubs. I think i saw a 300 gallon there.

Thank you for the reply (: Unfortunately because of a sprinkler system and mature trees we can't bury the tub. My plan was to build a frame around it with insulation on the inside. I will be checking around at home depot too. I didn't realize they had actual liners! Thank you! (:

Well, the one by me does. Hope yours does too so you dont waste a trip.

One other piece of advice is to have your filter outside of the pond. I dont like the idea of keeping all the filtered junk IN the pond and having the filter out of the pond also makes servicing it much easier!

I am very excited to say that I have gotten the ok to build an above ground pond at my Grandmothers house in San Diego. I will be moving back there in the very beginning of January and renting a room from her. This month will be all about the planning of the pond. Next month will be about acquiring all my supplies (:

I have some preliminary planning to do. I am planning to build a stock tank pond with either a 150 gallon Rubbermaid, a 160 gallon Tuff Stuff, or a 250 gallon Laguna. Obviously my first pick is the 250 gallon, or the 160 gallon, but the rubbermaid is a fall back and I know that is something I can readily get. (There is a 90 dollar Laguna basin that is KILLING me cause it is too far away &gt;.&lt; ) I will be trying to get the 250 gallons, if possible. If not I will see if I can&#39;t special order the 160 gallon from Tractor Supply.

I like the Tuff Stuff because it is shallower than the other two.

I have been reading the pond forum all night! My first question is about the San Diego weather. It has made it to 115F in the area I will be living in. This will be a fancy goldfish pond, and needs to be able to hold 5-7 fancies. They are ryukin, orandas, ranchu, and lionheads (possibly). What affect will the heat have on the pond and fish?

Any chance you could sink the tub partially into the ground? Even 6 inches will help, 12 is better. Alternatively, You could set the tub onthe ground and put some soil around it. Either will help stabilize the temperature.

I am going to be trying to put it somewhere it will get shade. How long does it need to be in the sun, if at all? If it was in mostly shade would that affect algae growth? This will affect the placement of the pond.

It needs no sun whatsoever. Full shade is best in your climate. You can make shade. You can get shade cloth from HD/Lowes. Overhead shade is most useful. Algae will grow in any light level above darkness.

Also, during the winter it can get into the 30's at night. Should I be worried about the pond freezing at all? Nope. If so, will the moving water prevent that? Moving water is very hard to freeze.

What size tub would the filtration have to be in? I have seen some conflicting answers. I have seen some threads say 10% of the ponds capacity, and some others saying it could be less, because the 10% is the standard for koi.

That's a new one on me. 10% is the standard for a container filter, but you can be flexible. For your pond size, I like this container. It's very strong, the right size, and looks nice. It's perfect for a bog filter, which I recommend..

I remember reading that the pond needs to be filtered 2-3 times over per hour. Is that correct? If not how much should the filter turn over? I will be building one similar to the examples posted by Shakaho. I just want to make sure I have my info correct before I start planning the design of the filter (:

Here's a good article on the subject. Turnover once an hour is about right. To get that rate, buy a pump that supposedly pumps twice the pond volume per hour.

What are the stocking levels, and what kind of work am I going to be looking at doing with my current stocking prediction? I can easily change 10% a week, even more if needed. We have lots of plants that would looove to have fish water. If the 150 gallon is not suitable, what would be an appropriate stocking level for it?

Twenty gallons per fish will work. Of course lighter stocking is better and requires less maintenance. I use continuous water change, with clean water dripping into the pond and used water dripping out the other end. I drip in 5-10% of the pond volume daily, depending on stocking level. If your filter volume is 10% of the pond volume, you can do a 10% water change by simply flushing your filter and replacing the water.

I might have more questions, but those are probably going to be more on the mechanics of the pond. All I know is I am super excited and when I get excited I become impatient and miss tons of details :rofl So thank you in advance for reading (:

It's great that you are doing such careful planning.

Edited by shakaho

I have some preliminary planning to do. I am planning to build a stock tank pond with either a 150 gallon Rubbermaid, a 160 gallon Tuff Stuff, or a 250 gallon Laguna. Obviously my first pick is the 250 gallon, or the 160 gallon, but the rubbermaid is a fall back and I know that is something I can readily get. (There is a 90 dollar Laguna basin that is KILLING me cause it is too far away &gt;.&lt; ) I will be trying to get the 250 gallons, if possible. If not I will see if I can&#39;t special order the 160 gallon from Tractor Supply.

I like the Tuff Stuff because it is shallower than the other two.

I have been reading the pond forum all night! My first question is about the San Diego weather. It has made it to 115F in the area I will be living in. This will be a fancy goldfish pond, and needs to be able to hold 5-7 fancies. They are ryukin, orandas, ranchu, and lionheads (possibly). What affect will the heat have on the pond and fish?

Any chance you could sink the tub partially into the ground? Even 6 inches will help, 12 is better. Alternatively, You could set the tub onthe ground and put some soil around it. Either will help stabilize the temperature.

I am going to be trying to put it somewhere it will get shade. How long does it need to be in the sun, if at all? If it was in mostly shade would that affect algae growth? This will affect the placement of the pond.

It needs no sun whatsoever. Full shade is best in your climate. You can make shade. You can get shade cloth from HD/Lowes. Overhead shade is most useful. Algae will grow in any light level above darkness.

Also, during the winter it can get into the 30's at night. Should I be worried about the pond freezing at all? Nope. If so, will the moving water prevent that? Moving water is very hard to freeze.

What size tub would the filtration have to be in? I have seen some conflicting answers. I have seen some threads say 10% of the ponds capacity, and some others saying it could be less, because the 10% is the standard for koi.

That's a new one on me. 10% is the standard for a container filter, but you can be flexible. For your pond size, I like this container. It's very strong, the right size, and looks nice. It's perfect for a bog filter, which I recommend..

I remember reading that the pond needs to be filtered 2-3 times over per hour. Is that correct? If not how much should the filter turn over? I will be building one similar to the examples posted by Shakaho. I just want to make sure I have my info correct before I start planning the design of the filter (:

Here's a good article on the subject. Turnover once an hour is about right. To get that rate, buy a pump that supposedly pumps twice the pond volume per hour.

Twenty gallons per fish will work. Of course lighter stocking is better and requires less maintenance. I use continuous water change, with clean water dripping into the pond and used water dripping out the other end. I drip in 5-10% of the pond volume daily, depending on stocking level. If your filter volume is 10% of the pond volume, you can do a 10% water change by simply flushing your filter and replacing the water.

Thank you! I appreciate the detail. I think some of the things that had me really confused I read from before you were a member. What you have suggested makes much more sense (:

If I have an outer frame and I filled the inside (inbetween the wood and the tub) with some sort of insulation would that work?

I have been reading the pond forum all night! My first question is about the San Diego weather. It has made it to 115F in the area I will be living in. This will be a fancy goldfish pond, and needs to be able to hold 5-7 fancies. They are ryukin, orandas, ranchu, and lionheads (possibly). What affect will the heat have on the pond and fish? I am going to be trying to put it somewhere it will get shade. How long does it need to be in the sun, if at all? If it was in mostly shade would that affect algae growth? This will affect the placement of the pond. Also, during the winter it can get into the 30's at night. Should I be worried about the pond freezing at all? If so, will the moving water prevent that?

I live in Sacramento, and it gets up to 110 during the summer and in the winter it can get into the 20's/30's at night. During the summer, I had no frame around my pond or any kind of insulation, it was just the rubbermaid tank sitting above ground. It NEVER got above 80 degrees, even when we had a few weeks of 100+ weather. My filter creates a lot of surface disturbance, which I think helps a lot, and my pond is completely shaded except for maybe 30 - 60 minutes of sun in the morning and late afternoon. So far this winter, the water has gone down to about 55 when we had some really cold (30 degree) weather a few weeks ago, but hasn't gone lower than that yet. You shouldn't have to worry about heat if your pond is in the shade, or ice unless there's a major freeze coming, which you could prepare for.

What size tub would the filtration have to be in? I have seen some conflicting answers. I have seen some threads say 10% of the ponds capacity, and some others saying it could be less, because the 10% is the standard for koi. I remember reading that the pond needs to be filtered 2-3 times over per hour. Is that correct? If not how much should the filter turn over? I will be building one similar to the examples posted by Shakaho. I just want to make sure I have my info correct before I start planning the design of the filter (:

If you are building a filter I would try to find a container to use that is 10% of the volume of the pond. Turnover of 2-5x per hour would work just fine imo, just make sure there's a way to have a lot of splashing. Getting a pump with a fountain attachment would be a great idea to keep your water cool and oxygenized in the heat.

I wouldn't go over 20 gallons per fish, and I would change 10-15% of the ponds water each week. Make sure to get a lot of surface plants like water lettuce or hyacinth, this will help keep nitrates low and will shade your water helping to keep it cool. The fish also LOVE swimming around under the plants. I would aim for about 30% of the surface of your pond being covered.

Edited by Ms.Jenny